WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Skiing or Snowboarding... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797060)

King12 02-23-2013 8:51 PM

Skiing or Snowboarding...

Hey guys, so im not trying to start up one of these which is better debates. Heres my situation, going with the GF and her Dad on a ski trip for her birthday. Will be riding for most likely 2 days, possibly 3 but probably 2. I have never ridden anything on snow. I have been trying to figure out if I should try to ski, or snowboard, and I just dont know what to do. I can skateboard, havent in a while, I longboard, and wakeboard. I am decent on roller blades. Any suggestions? experience? I dont want to go out there and not have any fun at all.. I can take busting my ass over and over and keep getting up and trying, but if I dont accomplish a little bit ill probably be pretty bummed.

jfergus7 02-23-2013 8:56 PM

I have done both and honestly think skiing is easier but snowboarding is more fun. I think if this is going to be something that your going to get into more go snowboarding. If this is going to be more of a one time deal go ski.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

King12 02-23-2013 8:59 PM

Ah I will probably be trying to get more into it, looking at doing grad school in a more mountainous region haha

mjfan23 02-24-2013 1:53 PM

Ski.

fly135 02-24-2013 2:34 PM

Snowboarding is more fun, but definitely get a lesson.

dezul 02-24-2013 3:48 PM

Snowboard....if you can't figure it out enough by the first day then your not very athletic. Snowboarding is what got me into wakeboarding. Give us your height and weight and we can recommend a board size for you...for when you go into a shop you at least have an idea.

King12 02-24-2013 4:29 PM

6'2 150lbs

baitkiller 02-24-2013 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King12 (Post 1808470)
6'2 150lbs

Start with a double cheeseburger
:D
Skiing is easier, boarding can be more fun (depending)

sordave 02-24-2013 7:31 PM

6'2"and 150 lbs? Grab a blizzard and cheeseburger a couple times a week.

I snowboard and ski. I think it is way easier to become a good snowboarder then skier. I can blast down any hill on a snowboard with little effort. I would much rather ski and feel it is much harder to become proficient at skiing than snowboarding. THe majority of snowboarders on my mountain just falling leaf down the hill totally ruining the lines.

King12 02-24-2013 7:38 PM

haha tell me about it gaining weights damn hard for me, apparently runs in the family to be a wire until 21 or so. Alright well, I am leaning towards the snowboard as of now. Thanks guys

bcrider 02-25-2013 8:55 AM

Having snowboarded now for 20 years I would tell you that it would be easier to ski for a couple days then to snowboard. For most people trying to snowboard for the first time you spend the first couple days on your ass before you learn the basics where as skiing you can be a snow plow king pretty quick. On the other hand once you learn to snowboard it's easier than skiing.

magic 02-25-2013 9:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrider (Post 1808545)
Having snowboarded now for 20 years I would tell you that it would be easier to ski for a couple days then to snowboard. For most people trying to snowboard for the first time you spend the first couple days on your ass before you learn the basics where as skiing you can be a snow plow king pretty quick. On the other hand once you learn to snowboard it's easier than skiing.

Totally

I grew up skiing. 15 years ago on a powder day I picked up a snow board and pretty much have never looked back. I have a background of wakeboarding and surfing and they do then themselves to snowboarding. I'd ski if it's your first time. You'll find that on novice and intermediate runs you will be faster and able to keep up easier. Unless you are riding on soft or powder the learning curve on a snowboard to get decently consistent and fast is going to be longer.

Over New Year's we were up in Whistler BC, I rented some nice skis and tried skiing again for the first time in 15 years. The modern skis are sooooo easy to ride, I was able to keep up with the fast skiers (50mph top speeds) after a few runs. That said I find snowboarding way more fun and I'm just as fast on board, it's easier too. In the trees, on the steeps and in powder I only want a board.

lfrider139 02-25-2013 11:03 AM

Does your GF and her dad know how to ski or snowboard already?

plhorn 02-25-2013 2:55 PM

I'm very confortable on a double diamond (expert run) on either ski's or a snowboard. It is much harder to become very good at skiing than snowboarding but the first three days on a snowboard are much harder than the first 3 days on ski's. After becoming very profficent with both, I think skiing is WAY more fun than snowboarding. I think that snowboardings popularity is largely due to how fast you can get very good at it. It took me 16 years to be confortable going straight down a mogul run on ski's and one season to do the same thing on a snowboard.

For years I was snowboard on powder day and ski's when the conditions weren't ideal, then 2 years ago I tried modern fat ski's on a powder day and I never snowboarded again.

joeshmoe 02-25-2013 4:37 PM

Snowboarding is harder to learn and you could be skiing(snow plowing)your first time down the mountain on the first day. Snowboarding will help you when it comes to wakeboarding or surfing, if you snowboard switch for a season, you will have no problem riding switch when wakeboarding season comes around.

King12 02-25-2013 7:46 PM

Yes the both can ski and snowboard well

King12 02-25-2013 7:47 PM

My main goal is to have fun, so I can learn to snowboard another time when I have a few more days to get my ass kicked. Leaning back towards skiing now haha

stephan 02-25-2013 9:28 PM

Sounds like since they are both proficient at both you will be hoping to keep up and spend time with them, in that case go with the skis. If you don't mind them ditching you while you wallow in the first couple days that are "learning to snowboard", and you prefer the board, then have at. Personally, I've never gone back to skiing after learning to snowboard 16 years ago. Since you have some board skills you will learn faster than others. Its all about transitioning edges and once you feel it you will be hooked.

jarrod 02-26-2013 10:09 AM

I taught my three year old how to ski in one day, or in 3 runs to be exactly. In order to make it happen, I had to go back to skiing.

I like what I'm seeing from the new generation of freestyle skiers. They're making the jumps and rails look pretty cool.

bruizza 02-26-2013 1:04 PM

Since both the GF and Dad are already proficient at both I would just rent a snowboard and do full day lesson the first day. Then ride with them on day 2.

baitkiller 02-27-2013 5:42 PM

RULE #1
If you listen to nothing else, listen to this.

RENT ON MOUNTAIN!!!!
if your boots aren't just right you can fix it ASAP.
You can trade the board for skis at lunch and giver you aching arse a break.
Any gear problems, changes, alterations, whatever can be remedied ASAP and without leaving the mountain or cost.
Since you don't know what it should feel like, you will probably need a try or two.
This means you don't have to suffer all day in feet that are screaming or blistering.
If you decide to take a day off, just drop the gear for the day and don't get charged.
Trust me... Its worth the few extra pesos.

magic 02-27-2013 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1809040)
RULE #1
If you listen to nothing else, listen to this.

RENT ON MOUNTAIN!!!!
if your boots aren't just right you can fix it ASAP.
You can trade the board for skis at lunch and giver you aching arse a break.
Any gear problems, changes, alterations, whatever can be remedied ASAP and without leaving the mountain or cost.
Since you don't know what it should feel like, you will probably need a try or two.
This means you don't have to suffer all day in feet that are screaming or blistering.
If you decide to take a day off, just drop the gear for the day and don't get charged.
Trust me... Its worth the few extra pesos.

Strong points, plus you usually get free ski check with their rentals. Piece of mind on the mountain for sure.

behindtheboat 02-27-2013 9:10 PM

snowboarding is harder to learn, easier to advance. skiing is easier at the start, but harder to advance compared to boarding. Go skiing so you can experience the mountain that you're paying good money for. Depending on where you're going, you may not figure out the whole mountain in 2 days.

King12 03-11-2013 9:53 PM

alright, leaving tomorrow for the trip, gonna snowboard. buying myself lessons the first day, wth give it a shot