WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   need a wakesurf to past the time... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796535)

jsmilez321 01-02-2013 12:32 PM

need a wakesurf to past the time...

Hey guys i am looking into purchasing a wakesurf this off season i primarily wakeboard, but am going to be out of commission for a couple months in the early season. I went snowboarding in Co. and tore three ligaments in my shoulder needless to say i am going to have some pretty extensive surgery and rehab in front of me. My Dr. told me i would be strong enough by June to wakeboard again, but my buddies and i are die-hards and will be on the river in early April. I have wakesurfed before on POS board and enjoyed it even got where i could go no rope last year. I know wake surfing is just simply easier on the body and i can used my other shoulder to assist getting up.

here is some details that could help as well. I am 5'11 and weigh 185. I have a 2009 axis with PnP 450s in the rear compartments and the 1450 in the nose as well as the 200lb tanks in the rear and 500lb in the middle. Also the wedge. I want something relatively cheap and kind of a "do it all" type board. Once i can define my style i can then grab a new board but just something to learn the basics on. It also will be a universal board for the boat and my buddies. So once again just something basic and fun to keep my mind off wakeboarding until i am ready!

runin90lx 01-02-2013 1:56 PM

Liquid force or ronix make decent boards for being mass produced. They can be had for 300-400 new. They will be less buoyant and a lot slower than a higher end board, but they are good for learning the basics on.

WakeDirt 01-02-2013 6:00 PM

The Liquid Force Doum and the Hyperlite Broadcast will fit in a regular wakeboard rack, they are both durable (my beater board is a braodcast).
I wasnt pleased with the Ronix Koal one bit, it de-lamned the first summer, doesent fit in a board rack (foam board) and compared to more custom hand-made surf-style boards it isnt a great performer IMO

WakeDirt 01-04-2013 6:00 PM

Little of subject, but SMILEZ you got any pictures of your wake and boat? Just for shi*ts and gigs.

jsmilez321 01-05-2013 8:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here is the boat... just picked her up this summer.

runin90lx 01-05-2013 8:36 AM

great looking boat!

WakeDirt 01-05-2013 12:46 PM

Right on Right on

jsmilez321 03-07-2013 2:23 PM

Sorry to bring the post back up...but i found some deals on evo because i dont have a local shop that can match the prices anywhere close but they have the Ronix Cortez and the Ronix Koal... i love Ronix products and dont want to dish out the cash for a "real" surf board. Whats the verdict on these? which is the better choice for a beginer? and what size should i get (185 5'10)? It will eventually be a boat board for everyone wife, parents, and friends ranging from 120lbs- 250lbs. They also have the hyperlite broadcast fro very reasonable price... i am ready to buy but need some help from you guys!

runin90lx 03-07-2013 4:16 PM

You probably wanna get a board around the 5' mark. I'm not familiar with ronix boards to help you. I can tell you a 250# guy will prob have a hard time riding any of the mass produced boards without working to stay in the pocket.

cowwboy 03-07-2013 4:47 PM

Id look at the ronix foamy. I rode a foamy that my buddy had and was shocked at how it rode for what it is. They are sturdy and easy on the boat. Also cheap.

jsmilez321 03-07-2013 5:43 PM

Foamy? I have never heard or seen one of those

cowwboy 03-08-2013 5:44 AM

http://ronixstore.com/p/2013-marshme...sher?pp=8&pp=8
The use soft foam with a slick coating on the bottom.

jaws 03-08-2013 6:32 AM

SMILEZ that boat and launch ramp looks familiar. Morse reservoir? great looking boat!

Sethjoe 03-08-2013 7:20 AM

another board that is similar to the Foamy is the CWB Laguna

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...urfer&i=708794

22vdrive 03-08-2013 10:20 AM

Jsmilez go custom its the way to go. Support our local shapers and get a board that will fit all your needs. Your going to save money in the long run, you will end up wanting one.

tonyv420 03-08-2013 11:14 AM

^^^ x2

jsmilez321 03-08-2013 11:49 AM

@ Jason Flemming Thanks brother! I live in Clarksville Tn we rode up to Indianapolis to get the boat. That's the pic right after the test drive and I said SOLD!! It was like a 5 hr haul, but he price I got the boat for was well worth the trip!

I would love to get a custom board or a board from one of the surf exclusive brands, but there isn't much "lake life" where I live or even in Nashville, and please don't take this the wrong way but we are predominately Wakeboarders. I would say 80% wakeboarding 20% all other activities. So cost is a big deal since i don't know how much i will be using it. This will be something to mess around on more or less until i am back on my board. Just want the most bang for my buck.

The reason I say Ronix is because they are an independent company, and there customer service is top notch. I broke 2 wakeboards in one summer, one out of warranty and they hooked it up. Heather @ square one is such an awesome person she sent me a ton of shwag to! So I am pretty loyal. But the sale ends March 11on EVO so decision time is comming.

Thanks for all the feed back

22vdrive 03-08-2013 12:32 PM

You should post to see if there are any quality used custom boards in your price range. I would take that over a Ronix surfer any day.

volzalum 03-08-2013 2:40 PM

Jacob, I grew up in Clarksville and put my boat on the Cumberland every once in awhile. I'm based out of Knoxville now. The season in Knoxville runs from late march to late October, clarksville isn't much difference. If the river is cold just go up to Tennessee ridge and put in near the steam plant. The river is 10 degrees warmer there.

I second (or whatever number) the buy custom. It will also hold its value much more, so if you don't like it you can sell and buy another. Some of the customs are in the same range as the prefabs.

jsmilez321 03-09-2013 10:36 AM

What's up volzalum.. Yea we primarily boat on the Cumberland on the week days, and family is building a house on sycamore creek on lake Cumberland. We usually wet suit it until the beginning of may but my shoulder is putting a set back on my drive to start getting ready for the summer. I still have two months of PT.

My price range is 250$ to 300$ tops an that's pushing it with the wifey. Since we still got about 15k left to pay off the boat and trying to build a house soon so we are trying to save every penny. But if someone is trying to get rid of one for a good price I would definately be interested.

Just let me know!