WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   S-Bend Wreck! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793980)

cheesydog 06-17-2012 6:13 PM

S-Bend Wreck!

So took prob the worst boat wreck ive ever had on the weekend trying an S-bend, hyper extended my elbow, minor concussion and pulled my shoulder. Still trying to figure out where this went wrong!

Any advice welcome, i really do not want to crash like this again. I had just landed my fist blind judge in this set so was pretty amped and just went for it.

https://vimeo.com/44190069

bboozer 06-17-2012 6:38 PM

Damn that was a tough one.... far be it for me to give advice, because I am definitely not at your level..... it looked pretty good to me, but looked like you over-rotated on the spin, and then were not able to get the board back under you....but I am sure that you can figure that out from the video yourself.... I thought that it looked damn good for a 1st attempt.... sucks about the elbow.... good luck, and hopefully someone else with some experience can help you on how to stop the rotation on the 3..... I and just trying to get the wake to wake 3 and took some good falls this weekend, including one that broke a baseplate on my hype team bindings....

captain_vilfo 06-17-2012 7:03 PM

I was expecting a lot worse lol not bad man

cheesydog 06-17-2012 7:24 PM

ha ha yeh im being a baby about it, just bitter coz ill be out of action for a little bit.. definitely looks like over rotation, head was still down at the end of the sbend, its werid coz it seems like not enough time when I tried it but looking at the vid I think its more like I need to pull my head up way earlier

WssLife 06-17-2012 9:00 PM

That is way above my skill level but that was sweet dude, huge air. if i had to give any advice though I would just say like already mentioned over rotated and you didnt pull the board down early enough

gnarslayer 06-17-2012 9:22 PM

oh ballsac that sucks! the only time i ever do sbends is when ever im pumped up after a new trick or something ha... im reconsidering it next time

cheesydog 06-18-2012 2:04 AM

ha ha yeh i was feeling invincible, heres the first blind judge I landed... this was about 5 min before I wrecked myself on the s-bend. So bummed I have to wait for the elbow to heal, the BJ was mad fun, cant wait to do some more, try an take it bigger and more extended. The sbend on the other hand.. Im gonna think twice next time

https://vimeo.com/44231503

txwakerider14 06-18-2012 8:37 AM

You need to charge it harder, It looked more like an approach for a front flip than a raley based trick. Take more a raley approach and edge through the wake so that you are really laid out and extended like a raley. R=The trick looked like a mix between a front and an s-bend, which is why you over rotated to the nose when you tried to pull it in. Think of taking it behind you more raley style so you can complete the rotation and then pull it down like you would a raley (same as you would on cable), rather than trying to stop a rotation. Hope that makes sense for you

snork 06-18-2012 3:22 PM

way too relaxed at the legs, be strong from the hips to toes and relaxed from hips to shoulders
sorry but you were doomed from the beginning, gotta have those initiation crashes
let us know how the next BJ goes

captain_vilfo 06-18-2012 4:39 PM

i meant bad as in not even close to being a s-bend not as in the fall not looking terrible! That fall looks absolutely dreadful lol

greg_smith 06-18-2012 7:01 PM

sick blind judge!!! looks like you a had a little butterslide action on landing for a split second there too, lol.

love that trick!

cheesydog 06-18-2012 7:16 PM

Tnx Brian I hadnt looked at it that way, when I did the s-bend, I thought I had it, had enough time to pull in, but when I pulled in the nose just dipped down, and I ran out of time to correct it. I thought that meant I needed to pull my head up earlier to stop over rotating, but seems like your saying I need to fix my approach instead.

Readyaimfire 06-19-2012 12:05 AM

Good god that was brutal. This is one trick that scares the hell outta me

Texan 06-19-2012 7:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesydog (Post 1760918)
Tnx Brian I hadnt looked at it that way, when I did the s-bend, I thought I had it, had enough time to pull in, but when I pulled in the nose just dipped down, and I ran out of time to correct it. I thought that meant I needed to pull my head up earlier to stop over rotating, but seems like your saying I need to fix my approach instead.

Yup, I'm seeing your improvement on the trick coming from your approach. Deeper, faster cut, held longer. That will give you more throw off the wake which will initiate the trick better for you and give you more air time.

Mitch throws a great S-Bend... watch and learn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yvni...layer_embedded

cheesydog 06-20-2012 1:30 AM

ah yeh ive watched mitch's sbend heaps, I love it, one of the best out there for sure.

When I look at his sbend and mine at each position, actually its pretty similar (except for the height) the big difference comes after crossing the second wake Mitch pulls his head out MUCH earlier and can spot the landing. With mine, my head position is still down after the full rotation so it makes me over rotate when I try to pull the board down. So I actually think I do have enough height, I just need to not overcook that rotation.

But yea Mitch's approach is more aggressive for sure.

Cajun_Misfit 06-20-2012 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesydog (Post 1761273)
ah yeh ive watched mitch's sbend heaps, I love it, one of the best out there for sure.

When I look at his sbend and mine at each position, actually its pretty similar (except for the height) the big difference comes after crossing the second wake Mitch pulls his head out MUCH earlier and can spot the landing. With mine, my head position is still down after the full rotation so it makes me over rotate when I try to pull the board down. So I actually think I do have enough height, I just need to not overcook that rotation.

But yea Mitch's approach is more aggressive for sure.

Yo got it bro... You just need more time to get tucked back in. Charge it harder, I don't think you over rotated that much. You should be able to recover if you get the board back under you. Looking Good!

Texan 06-20-2012 6:57 AM

I don't think you over rotated at all man, I think you turned your head saw you were 5' off the deck and went oh $$$$ and tried like hell to pull the board around. Your technique is good, as you said... except for the height. You get the height and you'll have the trick.

To get the height, lay that cut out on the way in. Take your chair posture and turn it into a lazy boy drop your shoulders back and dig the heels. If you'll notice on Mitch's cut just at the edge of the white wash you can still see the lower fins on his board, at this same point you're already starting to let off.

cheesydog 06-20-2012 7:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeh I definitely agree on cutting harder, but still think I need to ease up on the rotation. If you look at the pics of Mitch and I at the same point in the trick you can see he has opened right up, whereas I have continued spinning. Which I believe is the reason for the nasty nose front edge.

At that point Mitch is already spotting his landing, whereas I am looking straight down at the water. If I had gone bigger I reckon I might have had an even worse crash