WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Lake Shasta wakesurfing? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786434)

malibu 03-17-2011 11:43 AM

Lake Shasta wakesurfing?

Has anyone been to Shasta around the last of March or first week in April? We are thinking of taking the boat there for Spring Break from Boise, Id. Is it a good place to wakesurf? It might be too cold for camping but we could stay in a motel if there is a good one, that is not to expensive close by. One website said the water is currently 56 degrees and close to full. It sounds do able with a wetsuit.
Thanks for any info.
Sue

dennish 03-17-2011 3:43 PM

Hey Sue,
Great lake will be full. Motel at Bridge Bay I think. Could stay in Redding as well. For you it is warm.

h20king 03-17-2011 6:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shasta is amazing the water is super clear and you can always find glass somewhere the lake is huge.I have never been that early in the season but we try to make it down every year at the end of august for a houseboat trip. Antlers has cabins right on the lake and is the resort we always use because I prefer the Sacramento river arm the best.Here is a pic from summer 2010
http://www.shastalakevacations.com/rates/rent_cabin.asp

malibu 03-18-2011 7:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennish (Post 1666459)
Hey Sue,
Great lake will be full. Motel at Bridge Bay I think. Could stay in Redding as well. For you it is warm.

Hey Dennis! Talk about cold blooded, I saw those pics of you trunking it. Thanks for the info. I also want to do the clinic and demo at Camp Far West in May. Hope I get to ride with you guys there.

Harold, Thanks for the awesome picture. It makes me want to go right now. I will check on the cabins and motel rates. That houseboat looks like fun.

lenmann 03-18-2011 9:15 PM

Keep a careful eye out for floating and almost floating debris. Lots of stuff runs off the mountains in the spring rains and snowmelt. Once the water level starts dropping it hangs on the shore and things clear up.

jetskiprosx 03-19-2011 7:31 AM

I don't think I'd go to Shasta that early, but if you don't mind the temps (both water and air) then go for it. You'll have the lake all to yourselves! I went mid-May a few years ago and it was amazing! We left cold crappy Oregon weather to find air temps in the mid to upper 80's and water temps in the upper 60's. The campground we stayed in was mostly empty too!

malibu 03-19-2011 7:45 AM

Yea it is really early in the season but I am a teacher and I have a week off at the end of March, 1st of April and I just need to ride. We are going out to Black Canyon tomorrow. The air temp. is suppose to be 53. The ice just melted last weekend. The hard part is finding people to go in those conditions. Maybe I need to move to a warmer climate:D

sandm01 03-22-2011 4:09 PM

sue, you're friggin nuts.. it's still way too cold here for surfing in a wetsuit :)

I haven't even begun to put my boat/trailer back together for the season yet..

malibu 03-22-2011 6:17 PM

I'm not totally nuts. I have a drysuit, a hood and booties :cool: The 40MPH wind gusts did keep us off Black Canyon last Sunday. I can't wait for some good riding weather!

sandm01 03-23-2011 4:30 PM

seen the forecast. sucks.. hoping to just be on the water airing out the cobwebs in the boat by the 15th of april, but sure isn't looking good..
not sure if you saw the plan for lowell will be released this spring. it doesn't feel like good news.

ragboy 03-23-2011 5:47 PM

I drove by shasta a few weeks ago, full and beautiful. This is going to be a good season. But when there is a lot of rain and lakes fill up like this, especially after drought, there will be lots of debris in the water, and for a long time. In 2006, when the lakes filled up like this, there was debris on lake oroville all the way to July 4th. So bring an extra prop!

Soulcraft 03-24-2011 10:45 AM

Hey Sue, looks like rain again for this weekend too. The water's not bad with a drysuit but it's the wind, rain and snow killing us.

malibu 03-27-2011 12:06 PM

Thanks for all the reports but we won't make it to Shasta for Spring Break. I got sick last week and am still trying to get over it. I hope to ride Black Canyon later this week. I sure hope they don't close Lake Lowell. The other lakes will be so crowded we won't be able to find good water to ride on.

sandm01 03-29-2011 3:38 PM

sorry to hear that sue. sucks. bet you'll take advantage of the 70deg. temps for friday :)
got a tee time with my name on it or i'd be out getting the cobwebs off the boat.. hoping the next weekend.

malibu 03-31-2011 8:01 AM

We have a crew for Black Canyon at 12 on Friday. Come join us if you want Scott.