WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through April 03, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=685498)
-   -   What influences you more? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681378)

runningeagle 03-25-2009 2:13 PM

Are you more influenced by a rider that is focused on competing and consistently wins or podiums at contest? Or are you more influenced by a freerider who puts together inspiring video parts and pictures in magazines?

andy_nintzel 03-25-2009 3:53 PM

none of the above <BR>I am inspired to wakeboard by my friends that I ride with. They are the ones that I owe most of my ability too. They are the ones who come pick me up again and again when I am dialing in a new move. They are the ones that tell me that I should try it again when I am scared silly of a trick. They are the ones who always show up at 6am ready to ride, with red bulls and gas. They are one that convience me its not to cold. <BR> <BR>Thanks Guys!~

sidekicknicholas 03-25-2009 3:56 PM

Yeah, I'm with Andy.... <BR> <BR>Its great to see what the pro's can do on/off the competition stage, but I got 1,000 times more excited when a friend landed his first mobe or like my cousin did his first backroll... it makes me what to ride/improve way more when people around me are compared to the pro's.... unless the people around me are pro's.... which isn't often.

player138 03-25-2009 4:09 PM

Shoot, wish I had friends like Andys. Mine don't bring red bulls or gas and never show up on time. Yikes. Oh well, what can you do. <BR> <BR>As for the question, I've gotta say that I'm more influenced by freeriders. I like seeing people take it to the limit and do things that are a little more outside the box. I like stuff like Lyman's part in Push Process where he w2w's and hits that big slider... so sick.

liquidmx 03-25-2009 4:24 PM

I am inspired by anyone riding for themselves and doing it for fun. You can always tell who is out there for fun and who is out there to compete (with themselves and others). I see so many people that want to land a trick just to say that they landed it (like checking it off on a list or something). Then you have guys like Randall, Benny G, Chris O, Kyle Murphy, Aubrey, Cook, etc. who clearly ride as a form of personal expression and artistic influence...its those guys who I get pumped to ride after watching one of their parts. <BR> <BR>But of course, none of that is as cool as watching a friend land a new trick or one that was "well earned". Just a season or two ago my buddy Gary stomped his first Tantrum in mid-November (he had made several attempts at the trick over the course of the summer and he was slowly hinting at the fact that he wouldnt get another shot until the following summer, which we were all bummed about). The few of us on the boat got him to try a few more...even though you could tell he was getting frustrated with "chasing the trick". We got him going, gave him a few pointers in different terms (since things "click" differently for different types). He ended up nailing it and stuck probably half a dozen more that day. As much as I would like to think a few of my choice suggestions really helped him get it (and put it on lock now) regardless, I was glad to be a part of something like that.

benjaminp 03-25-2009 6:22 PM

My "inspiration" comes from video parts and magazines, because that is what I see. It is the more glamorous aspect of the sport, and it makes me itch to go ride all the time. <BR>My real push comes from riding with my friends. When they pull off tricks, my competitive side pushes me to one-up them and progress. <BR>And there is always a certain sense of joy and accomplishment gained from seeing a friend land a trick (my Dad's first wake to wake) and knowing that they are on top of the world at that moment.

wake77 03-25-2009 6:46 PM

"They are the ones who always show up at 6am ready to ride, with red bulls and gas." <BR> <BR>My friends show up at 600....pm when they are supposed to be there at 530. One red bull.....for them, of course. And kick in a few bucks for gas. Oh well, one out of three ain't bad. Need friends like Andy.

runningeagle 03-25-2009 6:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree that your friends and peers are most important and offer up the most inspiration on a daily riding basis. My question was pertaining to what you value most in a professional athlete and the impact that they have on the sport and on other riders.

dakid 03-25-2009 7:02 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>By Andy Nintzel (andy_nintzel) on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:53 pm: <BR> <BR>none of the above <BR>I am inspired to wakeboard by my friends that I ride with. <BR><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>w00t <BR> <BR>not everyone thinks the same though. not that it's a bad thing. comps sell gear/boats. as does free-riding (videos). none of that can be bad for the sport.

michaelb 03-25-2009 7:48 PM

goe me at least if i'm on the water seeing my friends one up me,makes me want to totally double their best.but off the water when i see a pro land something that totally looks like it's as natural as breathing makes me wanna wakeboard untill i can't stand up anymore.on the water the video tend to get me hurt more than anything. <BR> <BR> <BR>ps.i watch murray alot of the time when I get inspired. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by michaelb on March 25, 2009)

bfnaci 03-25-2009 7:58 PM

Jack, <BR>I'm a fan of and get inspired by the Free Riders who do the awesome video parts. <BR>It's not unusual for my friends to find me at anytime of day before a session, stretching and watching a video section of a rider that inspires me. <BR>I really don't keep up with who is doing well in the competition arena, if it was aired more on TV or Radio then maybe, but its not. <BR>Can't wait for Out of the Pond.....

mckenna 03-25-2009 10:49 PM

free riding video sections look good becuase of editors... id like to see some of these "freeriders" link a few tricks together instead of the cut and paste we see on videos. <BR> <BR>i get inspired by the riders inventing new tricks and continually reinenting their riding.

03-26-2009 5:10 AM

i love watching free riders all the time but something thats really inspiring is when the guys that are winning the comps are also really cool guys that deserve it and also have really good free riding ability. so pretty much a rider that can do everything and still be a really cool guy

bill 03-26-2009 2:13 PM

freeriding for me..pros and contests are cool and have their place but they dont influence me at all ..

romes 03-26-2009 2:30 PM

i get inspiration from other places. i see someone spin a sick bs three on the mountain and all i can think about is doin it behind the boat. i see someone back 270 to front board to front 270 out down a hand rail in a snow section and i'm pumped to hit a rail next time i'm out behind the boat. i see someone float a nice big bs 1 off a hip or table top and i'm instantly stoked. i see a skater blunt slide a 15 step rail and it gets my imagination going as to how can i do that on my wakeboard... <BR> <BR>(Message edited by romes on March 26, 2009) <BR> <BR>and nice warm morning set with some don carlos, steel pulse, marley or any reggae for that matter bangin on the boat <BR> <BR>(Message edited by romes on March 26, 2009)