WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Chevy Trailer wiring harness (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798851)

boardman74 06-28-2013 7:59 PM

Chevy Trailer wiring harness

I bought a used 2010 Chevy Silverado Crew a couple months back. We picked the boat up in mid May and towed it to the lake and due to weather and moving hadn't had a time to use it till this last week. What I found when I tried to back up was that the lock out solenoid wasn't engaging and the brakes would lock up. Luckily I had the emergency key thing and just used that so we were able to launch and use the boat. I didn't have the right tools at the lake so had to wait till we got home yesterday to look at it. The truck appears to have a after market harness, but I'm not 100% sure as I bought it used. Guessing that because my brothers new 13 with factory tow just has the 7 round and mine has a 7 round with a 4 flat on the side. When I tested it at the truck side plug I have running lights, brake lights, turn signals, but no power on the reverse lock out/light pin. Looking at the plug(on the truck) I believe that should be the lower left pin/spade. I came to that conclusion as thats the only pin/spade in the trailer side plug I don't account for with running, left turn, right turn, brake. Also am I correct the center is the ground?

I guess the question is should a standard plug be wired for the reverse light pin? Or is this something I have to add? Can I just pull a tail light and tie into the reverse light and run it to the correct pin?

Pad1Tai 06-28-2013 8:08 PM

It should be the blue wire and it should be in the plug.. Are you using a round or blade plug..

A little trick that works is, take the blade plug and turn it over and plug it in.. Now the 5th pin (brake solenoid) is now powered but the running lights ( first male pin).. Just turn your head lights on and the 12 volt power will release the brakes..

boardman74 06-28-2013 8:26 PM

Yeah I wish it was the 5 flat, I know that trick! Unfortunately my boat mate trailer came with the 7 round and thats what I am having issue with.

Does any one know the colors coming off the back of the plug truck side? Specifically for the lockout/reverse wire?

SkySki 06-29-2013 6:40 AM

I had the same problem. Check the fuse under the hood. I can't remember which one, but a search on dieselplace.com will tell you. I had the fuse pop when I backed into the water a little too far.

jdb11386 06-29-2013 7:58 AM

Definitely check the fuse, I've had three different chevys hooked to my boat and they all had a blown fuse.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

boardman74 06-29-2013 5:57 PM

I will have to check them. Wouldn't the fuse blown wipe out the whole plug? I have everything except the backup lights. Turns out that the center pin is the wire in question. The spade/pin I thought it was is the ground.

boardman74 06-29-2013 7:50 PM

Sure enough fuse #10 trl BK lights was blown. Can't test it until the morning as my wife is at work, but sure looks like a winner. Thanks guys.