WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Patching a Fat Sac? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799059)

wazzy 07-12-2013 9:59 AM

Patching a Fat Sac?

So I discovered one of my old blue Fats Sacs is leaking. It is on a seam, so I am wondering if it is something that can be fixed? Patched? Would I use the same patch kit from an air matress?

Thoughts? Ideas?

stxr_racer 07-12-2013 11:49 AM

Try this!
http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/aquaseal#10110

wakebordr11 07-12-2013 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzy (Post 1833240)
So I discovered one of my old blue Fats Sacs is leaking. It is on a seam, so I am wondering if it is something that can be fixed? Patched? Would I use the same patch kit from an air matress?

Thoughts? Ideas?

I've used a vinyl repair kit with success before... I've got a bunch of patches for various tubes and fat sacs. The seam is tricky, I blew out a seam before... I patched with numerous layers and patched down the whole seam since a pin hole popped up after I patched the initial blowout. If the seam is weak in one spot... it is probably close for the whole seam... vinyl cement and patch material. I Went to a pool store and got sample pool liner material to use as extra material to reinforce patches etc... I think that's also where I got my first thing of vinyl cement... a pool liner repair kit... and then extra sample liner

I won't step on that patch, but it has held for years... A coverless sac I've had for 11-12 years... 80 bucks has been stretched pretty thin, both literally and physically haha

wazzy 07-12-2013 8:18 PM

Sounds good. I got a buddy that works at a pool store. Maybe I will try that first & then try thr aqua seal if that doesn't hold. I should just get updated bags, but we are currently boat hunting so I hopefully only need to make these last another month or so.
THANKSS

99Bison 07-13-2013 7:13 AM

Shoe goo - or the outdoor version if in the sunlight is what the canvas shops gave to me to use to fix such things.

wakebordr11 07-13-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzy (Post 1833364)
Sounds good. I got a buddy that works at a pool store. Maybe I will try that first & then try thr aqua seal if that doesn't hold. I should just get updated bags, but we are currently boat hunting so I hopefully only need to make these last another month or so.
THANKSS

Sorry for the rambling post, I was typing as I remembered stuff from years ago. Pool liner patch kit + sample material is the way to go. Layer it as necessary. It's held for years. I've patched a bunch the same way

tracktor 07-15-2013 11:05 AM

Most of these bags are a PVC based material. They can be heat welded which makes the repair as strong or stronger than the surrounding material. I used to do PVC roofing and kept all of my old heat guns. I just repaired a blown out seam last night. If you can find someone with the right heat gun they can fix like new.............

phathom 07-18-2013 1:09 PM

Mighty Putty might work, followed by some of that flex seal stuff the guy puts on the screen door in the bottom of the row boat.
I actually have used mighty putty and as long as it isn't in contact with petroleum products like gas, it holds very well, like cement/steel strong and water tight, so long as you put it on without any air gaps.
They sell a loc-tite version of it for $3 at stores like wal-mart instead of the mighty putty $10 premium.
It's basically a solid 2 part epoxy like JB weld. Very strong solid stuff and cheap too.

redsupralaunch 07-18-2013 5:04 PM

Great story that I forgot about until I read this thread

Although I don't recommend this quick fix but the damn thing lasted 2 years! I got a puncture on the bottom of bag from a screw and it was leaking all over the carpet in my Supra. Impatient as hell, as we wanted to ride, I went to my truck, found some PVC Pipe Cleaner/Glue with a plastic grocery bag, then slapped it on. Most importantly, I tried this because we used to successfully use a water bed patch, back in the day when the bags were real cheap materials.