WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Whirly bird (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798645)

Kevinbieber 06-16-2013 8:06 PM

Whirly bird

Has. Anyone here tried one if so were the falls pretty harsh or was it pretty mellow (behind boat)

jrich 06-16-2013 8:20 PM

If u gotta ask that question then u prob aren't ready to try that yet but the answer to your question is yes, I'm are there are plenty of folks on here who can do a whirlybird and I'm almost certain a few have either torn an acl, had a concussion, or been knocked out cold. If you wanna land this trick get to where you can go extremely huge on your tantrums and land them consistently. Also learning tantrum to blind first will prob be the next step. Hope this helps.

westsidarider 06-16-2013 8:32 PM

Once you get above the level of your basic inverts falls can go either way. It's best to learn how to fall so that you minimize injury. Feeling comfortable in the air and being able to tuck and or roll or let yourself go limp is crucial. Air awareness is everything. If you can visualize in your head what it will be like when doing a trick, then your ready to start trying

Kevinbieber 06-16-2013 8:42 PM

Haha d nasty you're probably right I want to throw one but a person I know dislocated his shoulder last time he threw one I just wanted to see what to expect If I did I can definitely land a tantrum consistently but don't think I really go huge on them ill work on that for now

andy_nintzel 06-17-2013 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westsidarider (Post 1828239)
Once you get above the level of your basic inverts falls can go either way. It's best to learn how to fall so that you minimize injury. Feeling comfortable in the air and being able to tuck and or roll or let yourself go limp is crucial. Air awareness is everything. If you can visualize in your head what it will be like when doing a trick, then your ready to start trying

There's a Wakeboarding Truth for you, well said Jason. When you try to get the the next level of riding its honestly kinda a crap shoot. Like Jason said, falls can go either way. I think this is because once you've mastered a lot fo the more basic inverts and spins, you've learned to anticipate landing. If you anticipate falling you'll fall. I approach every single new thing I try as if I am going to land first try. Either I land, or I don't. If I don't land usually I am amazed that I didnt get broke off. But ont he flipside, because I alway anticipate landing sometimes I get scorpioned.

At anyrate, what you really need to do is figure out the rotation in the air of a whirly. The best advice I ever got (Thanks Zane) went something like this "Dude, your going to kill yourself. It's not worth it to trouble shoot this behind the boat, learn it on the trample first, your neck and back will thank you." So take this one to the tramp, learn the rotation, there then take it to the water.

skiboarder 06-17-2013 6:54 AM

I went to the hospital in 1998 learning them. Hardest faceplant of my life X10. They though my eye exploded, but I actually peeled the back of my eyelid.

That said we were going off the grainy footage from Hit-it! I don't think a tutorial had been written yet. I got hung-up on 3 of them so we decided the obvious answer was to take it bigger.

It is really an easy trick once you get it.

TNWake 06-17-2013 7:00 AM

seems like the best thing to do like you said is to take it to a tramp so ill do that haha ill probably wait for a little while when i try it ill post the video to show you guys how it went

thanks

curtbernstein 06-17-2013 7:28 AM

The trampoline is definitely key on this trick. Strongly reccommend that you get an understanding of the rotation on the trampoline first. When you work on it, focus on trying to take your backflip up nice and tall, and then initiate the rotation later, once you're in the air. The crash potential on a whirly is typically getting hung up trying to turn away from the boat too early when you should be patient, work on getting good upward pop. You want to keep your lead arm tight, try to avoid raising your elbow abve 90 degrees to your center to mitigate shoulder issues. The cool part about the whirly is that if initiated correctly, it pretty much lands itself !

JetRanger 06-18-2013 10:16 PM

Focus on whipping the handle around your head as you feel the tension coming off the tantrum. This was the biggest thing for me. Whipping the handle will force your body into the rotation, after that, it's just like landing a tantrum.