WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through January 12, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=535807)
-   -   Boat/Trailer overall length.. where to find facts? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519795)

stuey 11-14-2007 11:51 PM

I'm in the market to get a new boat next year.. I was boatless this summer and I've decided I need something again! However I would really like it to fit in my garage, so I'm looking at a 20-21' boat or so. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know a site or link where I can figure out total overall length with a trailer so I can see what's going to fit in my garage? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance guys!!!

absoluteboarder 11-15-2007 4:55 AM

......with swing away tongues these days pretty much your boat length without the platform is your limiting length.....I believe maybe add another 4 inches and thats it. but if your boat has a wakeplate or wedge .....you can always take it off.

rallyart 11-15-2007 7:37 AM

What Michael said. 4" for the trailer plus the published size of the boat plus whatever hangs out past the transom or the furthest back part of the one piece hull. Built in swim decks are in the length and bolt on swimdecks are not.

stuey 11-15-2007 10:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys... <BR> <BR>Any recommendations on boats that come in at 20-20.5' that I should be looking for? I don't want to buy brand new but something within 5 years old... and I would prefer vdrive but I know they are usually longer, so DD might be it. I would rather have a bigger boat but dont want to incur the cost of storage. Thanks!

rallyart 11-15-2007 10:39 AM

Sanger V210 is 20' 8". When you take off the swimdeck and fold the triler tongue you've got 21' exactly. There are lots of other boats. too. Ride or drive anything you can. Ask owners of boats you see. Don't be shy. People usually love to talk about their boat.

rbeckei 11-15-2007 10:55 AM

Stuey, I have a 2006 Calabria Pro V2 and when I take the swim platform off and sing the tongue of the trailer it is Exactly 20.6 feet. check out my profile. If you want any questions about the Calabria pro V2, I would gladly answer any questions.

2007_x2 11-15-2007 11:06 AM

the X-2 is a 20' boat and it fits in your standard 7' high garage. the overall lenght of the boat on the trailer is just under 21' with the swing away tongue and the exhaust tips in the back. the x-2 is a great boat with tons of storage and it rides smooth over rough water and trows a great wake.

1boarder_kevin 11-15-2007 11:07 AM

Don't know too much about other boats, but I know hard numbers on some MCs. <BR> <BR>X1 (frmr X2/star) with folding tongue is 20'8" with the platform off. The trailer roughly adds nothing as it folds right at the nose of the boat (I added an inch to be safe). The height of the boat (06 tower) is just shy of 7ft (literally 1/4 inch shy). <BR> <BR>X2 is 20 ft long and the tongue pivots 6-8 inches in front of the boat. My measurements has it to close to call for going into a 7 ft high door. I'll know in a couple of months. <BR> <BR>MC has a new foling platform bracket that is much easier than taking off the platform (it still adds roughly 8 inches to the boat). I think you can get them on some old models as well, but you can't on the X1 due to the shape/platform design

1boarder_kevin 11-15-2007 11:10 AM

Mike, <BR> <BR>Do you have to take off the fork of the board rack to get the X2 in the garage? What trailer do you have? My measurements had it right at 84" and I am hoping that I don't have to modify my garage.

canecorso 11-15-2007 11:14 AM

the 08 x2 will NOT fit in a 7ft garage, it is 2 inches two high, I just had to increase my garage size to 8ft to make it fit. As far as length i will know soon since it didnt fit when we tried (door was 7ft)

meathead65 11-15-2007 11:26 AM

Remember that different regions of the country will typically see different trailer builders under the hull...so an X2 on a Mastercraft trailer may differ by a few inches from an X2 on a DHM or a SportBoat trailer. Trailer tongue break locations and how high the trailer is bunked over the frame rails will change overall length and height.

canecorso 11-15-2007 11:33 AM

True- but why buy an expensive boat and put it on a univeral non-mc trailer(especially when most of its life will be on one), doesnt make any sense to me, I just couldnt put something not specifically ment for it under the boat.

1boarder_kevin 11-15-2007 12:14 PM

was that a single or double axle trailer. <BR> <BR>The tire size on the double actually buys you and extra 3/4 of an inch (theoretically) due to the tire size (the MC single uses a 225/75/r15 with a height of 28.3 inches and the MC double uses a 215/75/r14 with a height of 26.7 inches). Cut this in half for 0.8" ~3/4" <BR> <BR>Also, most 7 ft garages aren't 7 ft. Mine was 6'11 1/4" and now it is 7 exactly. <BR> <BR>Anyway all this is wishful thinking and I will find out in a couple of months if I have to raise the door to 8 ft (I got a 10 ft roof, cheap builders)

meathead65 11-15-2007 12:24 PM

rG: Mastercraft doesn't build trailers any better than any reputable builder....Any boat bunked onto a trailer specifically built for it's hull will be fine, assuming the trailer builder knows what he is doing. I'm not referring to "universal" fit trailers, but rather trailers custom built for the hull they are carrying. Matercraft is actually in the minority of builders who manufacture their own trailers, most outsource them or leave the choice to the dealer. <BR> <BR>In fact, in my experience, MC trailers have a slightly higher than normal problem rate.

bill_airjunky 11-15-2007 1:04 PM

rG: Can explain Extreme's success under so many Malibu boats?

canecorso 11-16-2007 11:09 AM

Meatee- never stated MC built better trailers than others, although I think alot out their are junk compaired to them. What I was implying is that if the trailer isnt custom fit for the specific boat it would be stupid to put something universal under it. <BR> <BR>Who can make the trailer the best for fitting? export the hull from their design (autocad) and have it replicated thus having the best suitable fit. <BR> <BR>I have a friend that bought a universal trailer for his boat and when he went to put it on one day last summer the bunk fell out and scratched his hull bad... For each his own, lesson learned here. <BR> <BR>Kevin-it was a single axle, I was told the dual would save a inch or so, but cant fathom having it that tight that it might scratch.