WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   The RETURN of Average Red Thunder! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790027)

digg311 09-07-2011 1:22 PM

The RETURN of Average Red Thunder!

My softball team used to call me "Big Red Thunder"... until I lost 80lbs... then, because they aren't the most clever people in the world and are usually drunk, they went with "Average Red Thunder".

Problem is, the weight is coming back.

Some of you may remember this thread:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691331

Well, I just got back from the NWWF '11 get together in Washington State and had STRONG memories of 2008. Unfortunately, for all the wrong reasons. My weight has been steadily climbing back up pretty much since my wife got pregnant early last year.

It's time to get back after it.

To recap everything... weight went from:
328.5, Labor Day weekend, 2008 to
248.5, Labor Day weekend, 2009.

and now, sadly:
307, Labor Day weekend, 2011.

I'm posting here for accountability. The people on this board were a big help when I lost the weight before, so I'm back again. Keep me honest guys. Keep me motivated.

New goal: 210. (And to KEEP IT OFF.)

Rich

wakeboardingdad 09-07-2011 8:36 PM

Big Red, I feel your pain. I weight goes up and down like the thermometer. Job, personal or support effects my weight. My all time high has been 262 lbs and I'm 5-10. However, I typically settle around 225-230, but I do not like that weight. My lowest in 2008 was 192 lbs and I started at 232. I've used the internet forums for help keep me focused too, but I always fall back into my old ways when something happens. This past winter, I was on my way back up from the 200 range but was trying to maintain or keep it between 210 and 220. I then had a most horrible event happen to me and I then began to eat.... and not exercise. Nothing. Barely being able to go to work, I would come home and dig in. It sucks and I'm still messed up and probably will be for awhile or forever.

Each time I have started a routine, it has been due to watching some movie, video or reading a thread like this. The first time was reading "The Abs Diet". It works! Couple that with watching "Supersize Me" and you have something that motivates. That is what I was on when I went down to 192 - along with running daily. Another time, I did P90X to get in shape. It works too, but I did not eat correctly, so it was slow. However, I saw major results in strength. In the end, it was too much and I could not keep up with the rigorous training. Last week, I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". That was pretty enlightening and demonstrates the importance of eating fresh veggies. Have I started that "fad"? No.

The bottom line is that you have to eat what you like (within reason) in the quantities that your exercise regime allows. My problem is that I cannot skip a day and then continue the next. I cannot eat normal on one meal and get back on track the next. I considered buying a juicer and doing a fasting diet, but I'm not really sure how healthy that really is and if I could stand to drink my nutrients every day. Talk about determination!

I guess what I am trying to say is that you seem to be in the same yo yo that I am. I get motivated and then fall into my old habits. I love to eat. I love the taste of food and food is my comfort. It comforts me when I am happy, sad, or bored. In order to keep the weight off - forever, you'll have to set your mind, once and for all, to change your habits, once and for all. I wish you luck and you can do it if you do it for the long haul and not worry about the day to day changes or loss of weight. (You didn't say that you did.) Unfortunately, I want results fast and I lose focus if I get stagnate. Keeping the weight moving DOWN takes hard work and a tough eating regiment. This wears me down and I eventually fail. My buddy at work did it right. Over a year, he lost 60 lbs. He reduced what he ate and walked in the morning and evenings; 3 miles each. That's it. He's still down and I've gained mine back.

digg311 09-10-2011 10:50 AM

Hey man,
Thanks for the reply! To be honest, I've been a big guy my whole life and it never really bothered me. For whatever reason, it never affected my ability to do well in most sports, do well at work, meet girls... whatever. I've even been in good health so far. No issues with blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol... nothing. I think maybe I've always considered myself an exception to the rule.

Wakeboarding has changed all that. I could snowboard as a big guy... skate... or play hoops... but my progress on a wakeboard has been ssslllllooooooowwwwwwwww. And that bugs me. The yo-yo'ing of my weight has just made it worse. It's like I'm constantly trying to adapt to whatever size I am at the time. Kinda like adapting to an unfamiliar boat or board.

That, plus the fact that I'll be 40 in a few years and the fact that I have a new son has me really hardcore about dropping the weight and keeping it dropped.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Keep after your goals man. Stay motivated. Shoot me a message anytime you want someone to chime and keep your spirits up about things. I find that talking to other people about... even strangers... just increases my accountability and helps me achieve.