WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Vacation Spots (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805376)

sidekicknicholas 08-24-2015 2:37 PM

Vacation Spots

Heyyo,

My wife and I are looking to take a trip this winter (most likely January sometime) and honestly have no clue where we want to go.... just curious if anyone has suggestions for a "must go" type of place, on a budget of ~$4k for both of us. Less is cool, could probably flex it up to $5k if it was worth it.

What we usually do on vacation -
* Swim swim swim swim ....We love to play in the ocean - good beach break waves is a huge plus). I'm certified to Dive, she is not, so if we could find a place that would get her certified in a weekend that would be cool too, but not necessary.
* Eat, all-inclusive is great, or if local eats are cheap, that works too
* We would much rather swim or adventure into a jungle than checkout historical landmarks and whatnot.... history doesn't do much for us.
* Budget will probably be $4-$5k for the two of us... ideally that would include everything surrounding the trip
* We would most likely be flying out of Chicago

We've been to Cancun and the Dominican in the last few years, so ideally something different but we're pretty easy.

Thank

phatboypimp 08-24-2015 2:58 PM

Two words - Costa Rica.

sidekicknicholas 08-24-2015 3:02 PM

Quote:

Two words - Costa Rica.
Belize or Costa Rica were on our short list.

... we had been thinking one of the following:

* Belize or Costa Rica

* Florida to visit my old roomie and wakeboard for a few days, then to the Bahamas or one of the Virgin Islands

* LA for a few days to see some of my in-laws and Will Christien, then on to Hawaii for the rest of the trip

* Thailand for like 10 days

phatboypimp 08-24-2015 3:12 PM

Thailand - just went last year for my honeymoon. Incredible - not much surf where we were but amazing diving and inexpensive once you are there. If you are seeking adventure it is around every corner.

tripsw 08-28-2015 7:36 PM

Yup, easy one; Costa Rica.
OK I might be a little bit biased 'cause I've been living there for 10 years now, but it really is a really cool spot to visit (or live, for that matter).
Let me know if you're considering it and have any questions.

baitkiller 08-31-2015 1:14 PM

Cuba is opening.. Not sure whats there but it may be worth sniffing around. certainly different. Ill be taking the wife there in January.

boardjnky4 08-31-2015 1:21 PM

Costa Rica for sure.

Hawaii on $5k? Don't even try

psudy 08-31-2015 1:22 PM

Rent a sailboat in the BVIs. Hit all the islands but spend extra time at Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda.

surfdoggy 08-31-2015 1:33 PM

We did surf school in Nosara Costa Rica. You can fly in or drive in (will be on dirt roads). Nice variety of lodging from homes to small resorts. Surf school was a blast. Ate at lots of local outdoor cafe's. Rode 4 wheelers to get around town. Beautiful beaches. Not much night life, but some nice bars. Half day rain forest zip line tours. Beaches are restricted, so there are no hotels or homes right on the beach. Really scenic, but if you want beachfront acommodations, won't get them here. Possibly in Tamarindo up the coast a ways?

tripsw 08-31-2015 3:50 PM

Nosara is nice. Tamarindo isn't. Only reason to go there is nightlife, imo.

psudy 09-01-2015 7:12 AM

I missed the budget line. You won't be renting much for 5K in the BVI.

sidekicknicholas 09-01-2015 9:07 AM

Quote:

Cuba is opening.. Not sure whats there but it may be worth sniffing around.
This was my #1 vote.... my wife isn't sold.
When I was in college I interned for a Canadian based company, they all raved about Cuba.

The $5k will have to include the stay and airfare from the nearest airport to get me international. I can fly domestically free (I have an absurd amount of Southwest points)... so Hawaii would be the cost of a flight from SFO or LAX, getting to and from that airport would be free. SW does go to Cancun, Aruba, and a few other international locations now too, so that is a nice perk for those locations.

boardjnky4 09-01-2015 9:16 AM

Southwest to Liberia Costa Rica was only like 25k points per person round trip last time I looked (from RDU).

trayson 09-01-2015 10:28 AM

If you really want to stretch your dollar, check out the H10 hotels. We went to the Hotel Ocean Maya for our honeymoon and got adults only, all inclusive with airport transfers to Playa del Carmen for $165 a night for both of us all in.

Note: December is way cheaper than January.

https://www.h10hotels.com/en/riviera...an-maya-royale

Yeah, I know you've already done Cancun. But Diving is awesome in the whole region and at some point, tropical is tropical is tropical...