WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through September 22, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=630180)
-   -   what am i doing wrong? help please (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626864)

lfrider92 09-16-2008 3:03 PM

Okay, <BR>well i can do all the basic tricks but i have to cut so hard its rediculous even to clear the wake. i have to cut out as far as i can and cut i as fast as i can. what am i doing wrong? <BR>any suggestions to get way out there would be great the more detail the better. <BR>i see videos where guys will be feet out and barely cut in and clear the wake. what are they doing that im not? <BR>thanks guys

wakeboard_pittsburgh 09-16-2008 3:11 PM

This could be a lot of things. It could be the boat, rope, speed, but more than likely, it is your technique... <BR> <BR>Check out this instructional. <a href="http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip009.asp" target="_blank">http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip009.asp</a> <BR> <BR>Where to live? The easiest way to learn this stuff is to make friends with local riders in the area and have them help you.

lfrider92 09-16-2008 3:18 PM

thanks for the link. <BR>when im jumping. the only way i can clear the wake is by cutting out as far as i can, then once im out there i turn into the wake as hard as i can. and while im getting closer the wake the speed and tension drastically increase and right at the top of the wake i straighten my legs. i dont get what im doing. <BR>I have a 2005 sea ray 220 Select. whe the trim is set to 4 its very rampy and solid wake. Yes i have a tower. i have a Liquid force synergy 137 board. and a proline rope and handle

element8456 09-16-2008 3:34 PM

Do you use the progressive edge thats was a major step when I learned how to go w2w. Otherwise go <a href="http://www.waketrix.com" target="_blank">www.waketrix.com</a> its free to watch some videos.

lfrider92 09-16-2008 3:36 PM

ya i use the progessive edge. and i have the waketrix dvd. it actually stays in my dvd my player in my room. haha. thats where ive learned everything, even getting up. thanks though guys. ill just watch a ton of videos and just give it a go. im going again this weekend. il give the wakeworld link ago

misteve 09-16-2008 5:00 PM

How wide would you say your wake is? Could be going too slow or rope is too long? Do you know your speed and length?

09-16-2008 5:15 PM

I've encountered this problem many times before with people on my boat. 90% of the time it's caused by not edging all the way through the wake. A lot of people who have this problem stop actively edging about 5 feet from the wake, but they don't notice that they're doing so because they are still moving across the water, which creates the illusion, or feel, of being on their edge. If you can, have someone video tape you while you ride.When you watch the footage, see if you are letting off your edge or flattening your board out, right before the wake. If you are using the proper technique, you should be edging just as hard going up the wake as you are while you are cutting in. The best fix for this is to just pretend the wake isn't there. Just hold your edge as though you didn't intend to pop off a wake. Also, make sure you are standing very tall at the wake. Hope this helps. Good luck,David!

lfrider92 09-16-2008 5:54 PM

this is to steve. i ride between 20 and 21 depending on the conditions. and my rope length is 70 ft. thats where my week is the tallest and steepest. <BR> <BR>and we are going to video tape this weekend when we go <BR>to add to it. <BR>im getting th lyman 139 board with the shane closed toe boots tomarow!!!!! <BR>im stoked to the max!

megatmoe 09-16-2008 7:17 PM

What kind of boat are you riding behind? I would never drive that slow at 70ft. I ride behind a Supra 20SSV at 75ft at 25mph with about 2500pds of ballast. If I have all that ballast and more than 4 people in the boat I have to bump it up to 26mph. Alot of it depends on how much weight you have in the boat but I will tell you that the faster the boat is going the easier it is for me to clear the wake.

lfrider92 09-16-2008 7:21 PM

anthony moe, im riding behind a sea ray 220 select. its not a wake boat. but it works for the stuff we do <BR>yes we have a tower. <BR>and what will riding faster help wh?

mattstrykul 09-16-2008 7:48 PM

You should shorten your rope, or ride faster. I ride behind a Bayliner XT at 21 mph at 65 feet and it's perfect. Just a few feet really makes a difference.

element8456 09-16-2008 8:10 PM

One thing is the wake will will be smaller another thing is you can go faster cuting back in. There's one more thing but blanking out sorry. I'd go to 65' at the same speed then move your way up.

owenitall 09-16-2008 8:22 PM

one problem i encounter and still do myself is that when i go to stand tall, i flatten the board out and let off my edge. i would bet this is where the source of your problem is. any tips from anybody on how to fix this? <BR> <BR>(Message edited by owenitall on September 16, 2008)

ak4life 09-17-2008 1:18 AM

Post a video if you can; that makes it much easier to give advice regarding technique. <BR> <BR>If your technique is not the issue, then you probably need to adjust the line length and/or speed. 70ft at 20-21mph can work for some riders behind some boats, but perhaps you should try a shorter line. If the shorter line puts you were the wake is not as good, get some led or fat sacks, experiment with placement and observe how that changes the wake.

ak4life 09-17-2008 1:30 AM

---- quote ---- <BR>one problem i encounter and still do myself is that when i go to stand tall, i flatten the board out and let off my edge. i would bet this is where the source of your problem is. any tips from anybody on how to fix this? <BR>---- /quote ---- <BR> <BR>Standing tall as you leave the wake shouldn't cause you to flatten off too much so long as you maintain your lean on the line all the way through the wake. Cut out, wait for line to tighten and boat to start pulling you back toward the wake. With your back straight, elbows in, get into a slightly seated position and lean on the line (like playing tug of war with the boat). As you ride up the wake start standing up with your legs (your upper body position shouldn't change) while maintaining your lean on the line. The more you lean on the line, the more line tension you will get once you pop off the wake. You will need to adjust the amount of lean depending on what trick you're doing. <BR> <BR>That's what works for me..

helix_rider 09-17-2008 6:27 AM

David, when you say you are using a progressive edge I think we need to define that term. Your comment of 'I cut out as far as I can then cut in as hard as I can' is NOT a progressive edge. You should cut out...probably not as far as you can, but that's no biggie..just cut out wide. Then stop for a second and just coast. The boat will inherently cause you to start to drift 'back' in towards the wake. Now, you need to 'build' your tension....not 'keep' tension. This means start slowly and increase tension. You said there is lots of tension in the line when you get to the wake...my guess is it's too much and you are getting pulled off your edge. You should be able to cut 10 feet outside your wake, then have a hard little cut and easily clear the wake...the key is 'building' line tension.

wakeboard_pittsburgh 09-17-2008 6:47 AM

Good point Loren ^^^ <BR> <BR>I can't stress enough the point about stopping for a second and coasting. <BR> <BR>Cut out about 10-15 feet. Then coast for 3 seconds. Your cut should be so slow at the beginning that it feels like you are not cutting at all. Then GRADUALLY build more speed. You should not be at full speed until you are cutting up the wake. <BR> <BR>Try this a couple of times and see what happens. Really over exaggerate it.

powercorps 09-17-2008 10:19 AM

agree with loren