WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 16, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=229845)
-   -   neoprene vs. nylon vests (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227535)

soxgirl45 05-07-2005 7:46 PM

Hi, I'm new to wakeboarding (I just got an O'Neill Custom), and I'm trying to get all the right gear for the sport. I'm going to get a life vest, but I'm not sure which type is the best for wakeboarding. The neoprene ones seem to be what all the wakeboard sites carry, but they're also way more expensive than normal nylon vests. If anyone could tell me the difference between the neoprene and nylon life vests, and which one is better for wakeboarding, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

wakeboardn4life 05-07-2005 10:31 PM

your def gunna want to go with neoprean thats what every wakeboarder wears and there alot more durable

msasser 05-08-2005 12:42 AM

i have a neoprean. they are waaaaaay more comfortable, its just like wearing a regular tight vest, it doesnt stick to you or anything like nylon. the deal is, its not nessesary, like a $500 board isnt, like a $60,000 boat isnt. but, it is way more comfortable and way more durable. i say go with it, it will last you and you will be happy you made the choice when your out in the water.

westsidarider 05-08-2005 2:13 AM

yea man, theres nothin like sore nipples after a day of riding in a nylon vest thats worn out after one season

leggester 05-09-2005 6:24 AM

I've never fouind a USCG approved neoprene with large enough arm holes. They always seem to chafe under the arms. <BR> <BR>I've neve had a vest wear out in one season no matter what I've done to it. I seem to favor HO vests too.

fox 05-09-2005 6:39 AM

I just made the switch to neo this year. The other "benefit" for me at least is a wet neo doesn't feel as cold as a wet nylon when you put it back on for another set. <BR> <BR>Eric

wickedwake 05-09-2005 8:26 AM

Matt: Check out "The Law" I have always had the same problem, no vests were large enough in the chest and arm holes, until I picked up "The Law" from O'neill. This vest is like non other.

nlitworld 05-10-2005 2:36 PM

O'neill makes great neo vests. Top knotch. I had a USCG neo vest, but it was way too bulky and heavy in the chest area, so it was all I could do to even grab my board. Luckily my B-day was on Friday, and I got the new O'neill Vapor vest, and it is A+. I will never go back to nylon vests, regardless of the price.

midwestrider 05-11-2005 5:45 AM

I am assuming you are female by your username, you will definitely want to go neo, unless you are completely flat chested. Nylon vest are usually never cut right for females, my wife didn't really care for watersports until I bought her a neo vest. Now no more tugging at the nylon vest that would be strangling her because it wouldn't stay in place. Neo is the only way to go, so much more comfortable and durable. <BR> <BR>Jb

05-11-2005 11:35 AM

you guys are crazy. go with nylon, if you can afford it that is. the fit is superb. comfort level unparalleled. there are many styles to go with. the classic orange. fancy fisherman camo. or the classic mustard yellow training pfd. way more pros than cons with the nylon. if money is tight check out some yard sales in your area these things are bountiful. later