WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The 60/40 weight ratio (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795739)

greg_smith 09-29-2012 1:55 PM

The 60/40 weight ratio

I've just been playing around with the weight in my 01 X-Star recently. It got me thinking, does the weight in the ski locker count as weight up front? What about bags placed in the hallway? I always try to keep in mind the 60/40 rule.

Currently, I've got two 750s in the back, a 540 Big Bag in the bow, and ride with the 400lbs in the ski locker. It feels like it could use a bit more weight up front, but it's actually pretty decent the way it is. It plains without any problem, and the wake is quite nice.

Thoughts??

ilikebeaverandboats 09-29-2012 2:32 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/od44USsUq90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ilikebeaverandboats 09-29-2012 2:34 PM

every time I hear 60 40 i think of this...sorry i had to post

bmr82 09-29-2012 2:47 PM

I had that same boat. It loves nose weight. If you're gonna run the 750's in the locker you most likely need that 1100lb triangle sac in the bow. I ran 400's in the lockers a 750 in the bow plus 400 in the locker. I loved that set up.

greg_smith 09-29-2012 3:31 PM

Like I said, I have the 540 in the bow. So the other weekend i decided to add another sac with about another 250-300 lbs. This actually made me kind of nervous because the nose was pretty close to the water. If i hit an on coming wave while putting around, it wouldn't have been a good situation. It would have swamped the bow for sure. Is this something that you just kind of have to be aware of at all times, or...??

johnny_defacto 09-29-2012 4:01 PM

Greg. Definately something a lot of us are used to and it is not big deal if you pay attention. Just have to worry about other less experienced drivers messing up when pulling you. With a lot of bow weight, you cannot take rollers straight on while idling or sitting. When idling or sitting, you must take the rollers from the sides, but the best way is from the rear, just turn your transom towards the rollers and you will have no problems. If you have big rollers coming straight at you and do not have time to turn 90 degrees, just put it in gear and throttle up to get your bow up until they pass OR you can quickly reverse at idle speed as the rollers come at you and that will most likely give you enough time in between each roller to prevent water from coming over the bow.

greg_smith 09-29-2012 6:21 PM

Ah ok, good to know!

It kinda sucks though because I was hoping that maybe there was some magic trick to get around this but... it sounds like it's just one of those things you have to deal with. Basically, I just got in the habit of stopping the boat when the rider fell, throwing it in reverse until I was far enough back that I could turn around without running into the rollers.

ryanw209 09-29-2012 8:06 PM

When your rider falls you should just be able to put the boat in neutral and, then put it in gear slowly turn back to your rider. You shouldn't have to cross any wakes then. If your boat has a lot of nose weight then you might get a splash over the nose as it settles if you keep the wheel straight and put it in neutral. If that happens then next time AFTER you put it in neutral and the boat is settling down turn the wheel.

brhanley 09-29-2012 8:34 PM

We've been playing around with this lately. If you have the 205V/X1/X2, then you need more up in the bow than in back. We've found the best set up is as follows: 750's in back, max of whatever you can fit in the ski locker, 750 in the walkway (probably only fills 2/3), and triangle bow sac on top of that. Wake is great. Good luck.

johnny_defacto 09-29-2012 10:22 PM

x2 with Ryan. Rider falls, just throw it into neutral, wait a few seconds till your rollers pass by, then turn and idle back. This should not dip your bow. If you do get a little splash over the front doing this, then just crank the wheel to one side immediately after throwing it into neutral, this will help keep your bow dry and speed up the turn around process by a few seconds.

Gnargnar 09-29-2012 10:31 PM

Ill usually go to neutral then pop it back into forward real quick to even out when the wake surge hits the back of the boat, then turn and idle back

wakerider111 09-30-2012 12:04 AM

considering all weight in the boat besides the ballast (engine and everything else) it is probably a 80/20 rule in the end?

sorry to be so literal here, but it just kind of got me thinking what the REAL weight distribution is and not just the stuff that you can move and play with

greg_smith 10-01-2012 7:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was actually playing around a bit with the wake on the weekend and took a bunch of pictures to see what the wake looked like at different speeds with different weight distribution.

Here's 22 MPH. 750s in the back. About 850lbs in the bow... and i know this is going to sound weird, but I also put a fat sac under the passenger bench on the port side and probably put in 200lbs. The reason I did this is because I was the only one in the boat, and since I'm on the driver-side obviously, I wanted to balance it out for the sake of a few pictures.

I'd be happy to see pictures of other configurations for the 205V.

westsidarider 10-01-2012 7:44 PM

We ride an '08 b52. Run stock ballast(1800 lbs mostly in the rear), then a 750 in the nose, a 450 in the walkway, a 450 as close to the walkway sack as possible, 120 lbs of lead under the seats in the nose and 180 lbs of pop bags in the cockpit area to balance. Once the boat gets a prop upgrade we hope to add another 750 mid to rear ship