WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Westboro Baptist Church - Virginia Tech (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777894)

wakeboardern1 03-25-2010 9:15 AM

Westboro Baptist Church - Virginia Tech

The WBC is coming to Virginia Tech on April 9th to protest and inform us that our sins are the reason that the shooting occurred and why Morgan Dana Harrington was murdered last fall. If any of you are in the area, a counter protest is being set up against them by the student body and the rest of the Hokie Nation. It is completely non-violent on our part, no instigating or insults, and no angry signs by the Hokies. So if you can come out, here's the Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/e...9475933&ref=ts

This is a disgusting showing by them, and the community response is already likely to be massive, but if you're in the vicinity of southwest VA, and you can make it out there on 4/9, it would be huge.

This is what I've heard is from their website. For whatever reason i can't seem to access it (the infamous godhatesfags.com).

"Virginia Tech N. Main St. & E. Roanoke St. (SW Corner) WBC to picket Virginia Tech to connect the dots. God sent the shooter because of your proud sin! You raise your kids to believe they can disobey God with impunity, and that His commandments are all on the table to be disposed of whenever you please. That's why they think fornication, adultery, and sodomy are all just in good fun (instead of the filthy practices they are), and that's why the wrath of God is on them. God is cursing you by killing those same children that you have lied to all their lives. VA Tech was just GodSmacked -- another of your students murdered -- and you still refuse to heed and obey the standards of God. Woe unto you! "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness...!" Isa. 5:20. You're going to Hell, and you're taking your kids with you."

psudy 03-25-2010 9:19 AM

Why is it non violent. At the very least, you should throw rocks at them.

behindtheboat 03-25-2010 9:29 AM

Be careful - No violence

I am originally from Topeka, KS where they are based, and had to see their inappropriate stuff often. They will have multiple people with video cameras running, and with multiple lawyers in the group, will almost entice you to do something/anything that can be used against you on video. They also often have people hidden watching and recording as well. Their goal is to offend you, and get you to react. Have seen some very unique stuff done to get them to leave though........

gunz 03-25-2010 9:29 AM

I have delt with them on occasion.They do their best to bait you into acting upon the rage ,and disgust you feel when you see them,but dont,they are lawyered up to the hilt.

Just drown them out,hopefully they all die in a fire.

zo1 03-25-2010 9:44 AM

That guy is a schmuck...

wouldn't the best response to be to make sure that nobody is anywhere near the area that they are in?

wakereviews 03-25-2010 10:02 AM

I agree Manzo. I'd just ignore them completely. They used to show up all the time on the KU campus with their signs. They are nuts. But it's just as funny to watch people get baited by them. You might as well go find your closest mental institution and start debating with someone in a straight jacket.... when someone is that crazy, there is no point in debating.

03-25-2010 10:32 AM

Yep. Just stay away. That way you don't have to worry about telling anyone "no violence". The bigger the scene the more eyes will be on them. Also, if something did happen, it could go all the way down to anyone who helped organize the people that did cause any violence. Better to let them rot on the vine.

chris4x4gill2 03-25-2010 10:52 AM

All they want is the attention. I agree that the best thing would very well be no-one be anywhere near them.

pierce_bronkite 03-25-2010 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This sign had me laughing out loud!

wake77 03-25-2010 11:55 AM

You guys at Va Tech ought to get in touch with the Patriot Guard Riders that combat them at many of the soldiers funerals. There was one video on YouTube where they surrounded those loons and just kept gassing their Harleys in front of the Phelps regime. Another tactic is the PGR shields the funerals with flags so families cannot see those aholes.

sidekicknicholas 03-25-2010 12:01 PM

They came to our school after a fire at students house killed two people... one of the two was a gay guy, they came to say they deserved it because he was gay... but everyone is right NO VIOLENCE!

Thats how they pay their bills, they come and act like *******s and push buttons, then when someone throws a punch at them they get paid.

My roomies and I dressed up as gay as possible, like really really gay (which none of us are for the record) and just got in their crowd, they were so pissed you could tell, but wouldn't do anything, just tried to make us.... two of us had some awesome signs too... but if you can get in with them you can drive them absolutely bonkers.

lfadam 03-25-2010 12:09 PM

I am looking forward to this...

There is going to be a BIG turnout. I just hope there isnt some knucklehead that does something stupid and makes VT look stupid.

behindtheboat 03-25-2010 12:43 PM

Dude, you've got college kids as your crowd. Unfortunately prob expect it

pesos 03-25-2010 12:49 PM

is it still cold out there? maybe set up some misters nearby to slowly soak them.

fly135 03-25-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by behindtheboat (Post 1565760)
Dude, you've got college kids as your crowd. Unfortunately prob expect it

If you're looking to sue someone, college kids are not your best bet.

strife 03-25-2010 1:18 PM

Yeah, they sure are psycho. just like any other religion.

trace 03-25-2010 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strife (Post 1565788)
Yeah, they sure are psycho. just like any other religion.

I'm not religious at all, but that is an absurd statement. It's really too bad how many trolls and children are cruising non-wake now.

sidekicknicholas 03-25-2010 1:30 PM

they are a step beyond the usual religion

03-25-2010 2:22 PM

Kind of funny. I have never been to a church that was out protesting. I guess I must not have been to a religious church.

You may not be able to get the students with law suits but they can get the University or their parents. College students will do something stupid. Count on it.

stephan 03-25-2010 2:23 PM

I think Nick had the most fun way of offering a counter protest. I could only imagine what they would do if you rainbowed it up in their midst while talking like the gay guy from Family Guy, talk about fighting fire with flame(r).

But, if there is a large group of people coming out to protest against them, just keep the peace. People that incite hate need to be killed with kindness, if they call people names and try to entice a confrontation, just look them in the eye and say "I hear the words coming from your mouth, but they are different than the ones coming from your heart, I love you too".

03-25-2010 2:36 PM

You also may want to think of future employment as well. As fun as it may seem to dress up and counter protest, you may find yourself on the front page of a paper or in some blog that someone may recognize you. Depends how everything goes down but there is a old rule of thumb about doing things. Can it help you to do this? There are only two extreme ways this can go down. 1st extreme position is nothing happens. You protest. They protest. Nothing happens, you all go home. Nothing gained for you. 2nd extreme position is this thing blows up and you have a full scale riot. That can not help you one bit and could cause a lifetime of anguish. Basically your two positions are from no help to a life time of trying to forget. I don't see how it is worth it to even go out there.

wakeboardern1 03-25-2010 3:22 PM

One quick thing is that someone said that they only want media attention. Well, coming to the college which is home to the largest school massacre in history is going to get them a lot of press coverage anyways. The organizers of the counter protest are trying to overpower them by uniting a college that has 26,000 students. It's explicitly stated multiple times on the events information page that if you are hot headed at all, to stay away because they will try to start fights.

If you were calling me a Schmuck manzo, thanks, because this entire thing was clearly my idea. This school has not had a good past 5 years when it comes to these sorts of things (William Morva, April 16th, the beheading at a dining hall, Morgan Harrington). Those all took place back to back to back, so if you want to try to tell me that I'm a shmuck for supporting a counter protest against a hate group targeting our college yet AGAIN, then by all means, continue.

I'm thinking an appropriate thing to do would be to stand in the middle of them with a big sign that says "I love pinecones" or something nonsensical like that.

JJ 03-25-2010 3:36 PM

They came to our school a couple of years ago after a Jewish student was murdered. It got so intense. We had a memorial in her honor and the university ended up moving the memorial inside the colliseum (with guards at the doors) to prevent anything from happening. They ended up showing up where the memorial was orginally supposed to be and had noone there to heckle. But whatever you do DO NOT in anyway use violence.

wake77 03-25-2010 3:36 PM

"You also may want to think of future employment as well.'

This is Va Tech, the employment prospects aren't too bright anyways.....(Just joking)

Good luck with the counter protest. It has been tough in Blacksburg so hopefully this will be a peaceful, uneventful and maybe those kooks will crash on their way to VA and alleviate the world of the hate that they have caused.

zo1 03-25-2010 8:50 PM

Quote:

If you were calling me a Schmuck manzo, thanks, because this entire thing was clearly my idea. This school has not had a good past 5 years when it comes to these sorts of things (William Morva, April 16th, the beheading at a dining hall, Morgan Harrington). Those all took place back to back to back, so if you want to try to tell me that I'm a shmuck for supporting a counter protest against a hate group targeting our college yet AGAIN, then by all means, continue.
LOL, sorry man, I was referring to that "I made up my own psycho religion" reverend guy. Not you :)

strife 03-25-2010 9:07 PM

Trace,

First of all I'm not a kid and haven't been for quite a while. People thinking that if they kill infidels they will end up in paradise and be rewarded with 72 virgins is pretty crazy in my book. So please, do go on..

wakeboardern1 03-25-2010 9:14 PM

Awesome, that's good to hear Manzo, I was like, "what did I do?" I was so confused.

trace 03-26-2010 7:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strife (Post 1566009)
Trace,

First of all I'm not a kid and haven't been for quite a while. People thinking that if they kill infidels they will end up in paradise and be rewarded with 72 virgins is pretty crazy in my book. So please, do go on..

Fair enough, although your post did say "just like any other religion", which is obviously unfair.

benjaminp 03-26-2010 8:04 AM

I love it when groups like this toss out a bible passage or two to support their cause. Because you can always find one that will support your own cause. Its just a matter of picking the right part of the passage. I really hope this all goes well for you Nick, its disgusting to think that people are blaming you guys for what happened.

wakeboardern1 03-26-2010 8:13 AM

Guy's, cut the religion crap. This is not the place to argue over who's right about what religion does right. Jeez you all have an uncanny ability to start wars on this topic...

There are over 2000 people saying they'll turn out to this event so far, and at VT, that's a realistic number.

sidekicknicholas 03-26-2010 8:22 AM

My school is rather small (9,000 or so kids) and I read somewhere that we had about 1,000 show up to counter.... which is a pretty huge percentage.

Another really funny thing a few kids did was, since they yell a lot and have their signs.... they just had big blank sheets between poles and stood around them (they had a specific area they were allowed) and just blocked them off from anyone seeing them, and then airhorned them from like 3 sides when they spoke up