WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Inner trailer bearing seal (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781676)

corbin 07-15-2010 4:06 PM

Inner trailer bearing seal

1 Attachment(s)
so I'm in the process of changing out my bearing seal and it has this ring I'm told is called a "speedy seal". It took me a while to get the old one off and now that it is off I can't seem to get the new one on. Are they supposed to be this difficult to get on and off? the old ring and new ring are the same size which explains why it is being to difficult to get on. without the ring the seal doesn't fit.

polarbill 07-15-2010 4:13 PM

Is that the seal or the race? The seal is probably a National Seal number 442251 if it uses the same as the 2 trailers I have changed seals on.

corbin 07-15-2010 5:53 PM

neither. its a ring that the inner seal rides on. It slides onto the axle shaft and goes all the way to the back of the axle shaft. I'm guessing not too many folks have seen this??

h2ohangtime 07-15-2010 6:37 PM

I just changed my entire hub assemblies and the seals were one-piece units that were pressure-fit into the back of the hub. Haven't seen a two-piece style like you're showing. However, I noticed that you're changing the axle with the brakes on it...I just changed my idler axle, so that may be the difference. Not sure...

ilikebeaverandboats 07-15-2010 7:03 PM

Set them on the back of the hub, grab a flat piece of wood and a hammer, and gently persuade them into place :)

corbin 07-15-2010 7:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The ring that is in my hand has to go on the axle and pretty much bottom out at the end. here are some more pictures that will hopefully help explain what I'm talking about. I already have the seal in the hub, now this part has to go on the axle stub. The last picture shows the ring as far back as I can get it but it needs to go all the way back... another 3/4 inch or so.

cwb4me 07-15-2010 8:06 PM

find a piece of pipe or exhaust pipe about 2" to 3" longer than the axle get a block of wood on the end a drive it on with a hammer.

ilikebeaverandboats 07-15-2010 10:14 PM

So the seal on the back of the hub rides up on the piece your holding? Still trying to figure this out. Mine isnt like that.

beryessaboarder 07-15-2010 10:31 PM

A little heat on the wear ring will expand it and make it easier to put it on. Tap it on gently with a hammer or like Robert said find a piece of pipe to drive on. Or find a one peice seal and get rid of the wear ring all together.

trace 07-16-2010 5:20 AM

That's called a Speedi-Sleeve. They're used for repairing grooved seal areas. Not sure why you need it if the area isn't damaged, unless it's just preventive. I agree - heat on the sleeve and a right-sized piece of pipe will get them on there no problem.

acurtis_ttu 07-16-2010 6:14 AM

when I re-did my trailer bearings for the first time I was surprised at how much you have the beat the crap out of the components to get them back on, and taken apart.