WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Girls Who Ride (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=195511)
-   -   Girls afraid to ride (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462719)

proho 06-13-2007 8:38 PM

I'm going to the lake with my family this sunday-wednesday. I recently found out that another girl I know will be there at the same time with her family and she is bringing friends(one of which is my girlfriend). None of them can get up, one says that she's gotten up before but can't anymore. I was really excited to go out with them and teach them but I recently found out that they didnt really want to wakeboard with me because they thought they would embarass themselves. Is there anything I can do to make them feel more comfortable? I'm kind of hoping that there going to realize that it's nothing to worry about and they can relax and have fun.

boarderaddict 06-14-2007 9:25 AM

I, myself, can sympathize with them. I can remember the first time I got in the water with a boat full of people. I was scared I would make a fool of myself. They all were experienced and I had never ridden before. So, if I was you, first I would re-assure them that everything they do is quite normal and you may even want to get in the water with them and help show them the different starting positions to get up. (Don't forget a flag just in case they do get up). I would also assist them with getting the board on and off. To me that was one of the scariest parts. I had an experienced rider do that with me and I got up the 3rd try. Good Luck! I know once they get up they will be addicted!!!

charman 06-14-2007 11:23 AM

yea definitely help 'em with removing the bindings. I've seen people get extremely frustrated and tired doing this. This can make them not care to go again.

kylielogan 06-16-2007 9:26 PM

I'd show them how to get up on land first. Have them put the board on before even getting in the water and then have them grab the handle and you hold the other end a few feet away and pull them up so they get the idea of what they need to do. If they're really nervous about feeling stupid and you're comfortable with riding, maybe make a deal with them that you'll show them a fashion air or something (so they can laugh at you and relax some) and then maybe some of them will go for it. I think if you can get even one girl to try it, the rest of them will probably follow her lead. Good luck and have fun!

escapade4k 06-16-2007 10:48 PM

The first three times I went out, I just watched and took pictures. I had never really been on a boat before in my life and there was no other girl wakeboarding, so I felt unsure about the whole thing. Then the season was over. I spent the whole winter regretting that I had never tried. As soon as it was warm enough, I jumped in and tried for 45 minutes to get up. I shivered for a full hour after getting back in the boat, but was hooked from then on. Having another girl on the boat that rode would have made all the difference. It would have really helped my comfort zone. Hopefully having you there and encouraging them will make them feel comfortable enough to try. If not, double dog dare them!!!

polhamus 06-18-2007 9:14 AM

We were all beginners at one point HELLO! If the girl can't get up anymore, hmmm did you know wakeboarding is 90% boat driver.

jenniferl088 06-22-2007 4:37 AM

<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica"> <BR> <BR>Tell them there is nothing to be afraid of. I went out on my first try and got up. I am terrified of anything that has to do with water but I decided just to give it a try because all of my guy friends were having trouble getting the board up right away so I wanted just to test the water to see if I could actually get up before them and what do you know.. I stood right up. lol I face planted 10 seconds later but I got up for a bit. Every try after that has just gotten better and better. They will enjoy their time out on the boat much more if they participate.</font>