WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video and Photography (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87667)
-   -   Video frame rate for wakeboard videos (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794167)

Orange 06-27-2012 12:59 PM

Video frame rate for wakeboard videos

Im about to pull the trigger on a new dslr - don't want to mention brands and models as my question isn't about Nikon vs Canon or anything along those lines. The two cameras I'm looking at are very similar and I'm leaning to the one that has slightly better low light sensitivity since that's very important to me for the kind of photography I'm doing. One feature keeps me guessing, however. Video is not the primary reason I'm getting a new dslr, but one camera (the one I'm not leaning towards) offers 720p video at 60 frames per second where the other offers no more than 30 fps video. I think both offer 1080p at 30 fps.

So the question is how much difference would that extra 30 fps offer for wakeboarding videos? I've heard 60 fps makes for smoother looking videos and allows you to do some cool slo motion sections. Opinions?

wakeboardingdad 06-27-2012 4:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We dirtbike and I really think that 30fps is all that is needed. This would include wakeboarding. Now, if you wanted to get all "poetic" and do some deep slo-mo wake splashes, then 60 fps would be the ticket.

However, in my mind 30fps does not mean the same quality for all cameras. Not sure what you're looking at buying, but I have enjoyed my GoPro Hero. I have been amazed of the quality of video and the ability to take a single frame (from the movie) and make a 8x10 photo with it. It is crystal clear. The only problem is the fisheye that the camera has and it is much better with more light. I shoot most helmet cams and pics at 960 which gives me a taller view so if I make a mistake aiming on the helmet, it is usually still okay. However, for wakeboarding and boat, when I use my LCD, I'll prolly go 1080 at 30fps. It will not shoot 1080 at 60, but I just don't think it is needed. If I shoot 60, I have to go 720.

More info than you needed. The Hero2 will shoot up to 120fps.

Here's a video I did recently. Did kind of a retro 80s, North Shore theme. When my son is riding in the area alone, with me shooting, I grab a frame of him jumping with the sun behind him. Not sure if the video will show all the detail, (prolly won't) but the pic is attached. It's pretty good.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/35479172" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/35479172">Two At Trace - New Years</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user9509927">Big Johnson Productions</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Here's the frame I grabbed from Sony Vegas.

wakeboardingdad 06-27-2012 4:54 PM

Sometimes you see a post and know you can help, but you fail to read all the details. I just re-read your post and I am sure either of the cameras you plan to purchase will be great. However, 30fps should be good for most action in my opinion.

petrie141 07-02-2012 10:37 AM

First things first, establish a budget and stick to it! Unless you're going to be a professional photographer, you don't really need the latest and greatest. Here's the breakdown as explained to me many moons ago... 60 fps at normal speed does look a little better than 30 fps, but it's not a huge contrast. However, for wakeboarding/boating 60 fps can make a decent difference due to the speed of the boat/rider. An area that I see the most difference is when tracking the rider from left to right while zoomed in. At 60 fps they look less pixelated than 30 fps. Another difference comes when time remapping (slow mo) the video. At 30 fps you don't have much room to slow down your video without it taking on a choppy look. At 30 fps you can only take it down to about 65% of normal speed before that takes effect. Since most of us only showcase a good trick or crash, we have the opportunity to put slow mo to good use! If you're going to just shoot the footage and upload it to YouTube sans-editing, I would agree with the people above. 30 fps should do you just fine. If you're wanting to dive in further than that and you have the budget, I would shoot for 60 fps.

wakeboardingdad 07-03-2012 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrie141 (Post 1764333)
. An area that I see the most difference is when tracking the rider from left to right while zoomed in. At 60 fps they look less pixelated than 30 fps.

I thought that was just a poor, small lense. I may have to try 60fps and see if I can tell the diff. I shot yesterday, with the gopro, and wanted to zoom in production. Wasn't sure how it would look. Low light also makes them grainy in my experience - small lense issue.

petrie141 07-05-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad (Post 1764753)
I thought that was just a poor, small lense. I may have to try 60fps and see if I can tell the diff. I shot yesterday, with the gopro, and wanted to zoom in production. Wasn't sure how it would look. Low light also makes them grainy in my experience - small lense issue.

Low light on a gopro definitely will make everything grainy. From what I've been told, that's a gopro lens and sensor thing. However, I think he was originally talking about a DSLR, not a gopro. I can see a difference on our T3i when panning from side to side. 30 fps seems to cluster into pixels, 60 fps doesn't as much.

Orange 07-10-2012 11:26 AM

I was talking DSLR. I was going to buy a new DSLR ant the two I was looking at were the Nikon D3200 and D5100. As a pure still camera, I was opting for the 5100 because it has 1-2 features I may use, but more importantly has ever so slightly better low light performance and is about $100 cheaper at the moment (I'm sure that eventually will change). The two cameras are very very similar. One thing I did consider is the 3200 being newer has a 60fps video mode...I was debating whether this would make any difference though videoing wakeboarding is absolutely not why I'm buying the camera. In fact, video of any kind is not why I'm buying the camera.

In the end I opted for the D5100 to save the $100 and get a couple extra features versus the newer generation. I'll experiment someday soon with a wakeboard video and see how it performs. I'm sure the 60 fps is better, but for how I will use it this should be fine. To date the only video I've taken was with my iPhone and an old Flip, so I'm sure I'll think this is an IMAX video camera!

Thanks for the advice.

skull 07-10-2012 2:23 PM

I took a GoPro HD duck hunting before and early in the morning you couldn't see ANYTHING except the shotgun blasts. They aren't good in low light at all...

SangerTom 07-10-2012 4:17 PM

Rob - especially if your aiming for the ducks through the gopro.

Remember too that your lense quality will also help low light situations (ie faster lens)