WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   How long can you run your boat's stereo (engine off) before it dies? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796985)

k59 02-18-2013 10:24 AM

How long can you run your boat's stereo (engine off) before it dies?

Simply put: how long does it take before your system dies after you turn the boat off, park, switch it over to one battery (of the two, three..?), and blast music?

And what kind of batteries are you running?

For me, it's about 30 minutes, and I'm running two Optima blue-tops. What happens first is my music will keep playing, but the sub will stop. That's how I know it's time to switch to both then run the engine. Does this sound normal? Any suggestions on keeping my stereo running longer? I'm running JUST interior speakers (aftermarket), aftermarket deck, 10" sub, 3 amps, 2 Optima blue-top batteries.

-t

CobraRob 02-18-2013 11:26 AM

I haven't found the limit with the new batteries which is good since the stereo bank is not even connected to Alt.

I have
2- JL HD1/750s each powering a WS Rev410
1- RF 650x4 powering 3 pairs of the JL 7.7 in boats
1 - RF 1500 powering 3 10"Kicker L5s.
Batteries are Kinetic 2400 x 2 and it will last full volume at least 8 hours.

boardman74 02-18-2013 11:33 AM

I'm no expert but 30 minutes doesn't seem like much.

Truekaotik 02-18-2013 12:22 PM

Not good at all. You have a problem for sure.. What amps ( make/model) are you running? Do you properly maintain your batteries? This could be the issue alone... We need WAY more info to help.. How old are the batteries? How often do you go out? Do you trickle charge in storage, shore charge before going out, alternator charge or all 3? Honestly, without any info I'd guess your batteries or a battery is bad..

bushtree 02-18-2013 12:44 PM

Just finished installing a new battery setup yesterday, so I have no idea how long it will last now..

Previously, I was running 2 group34 run of the mill cheap batteries, that have been deep cycled too many times.. They would last approx 45min.

My new setup is 4 group31 commercial deep-cycle AGM batteries. 115AH each. Hopefully this new stereo bank will have me going for a long time.

2 JL HD750/1
1 JL HD600/4
1 Wetsounds SYN4

CobraRob 02-18-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushtree (Post 1807264)
Just finished installing a new battery setup yesterday, so I have no idea how long it will last now..

Previously, I was running 2 group34 run of the mill cheap batteries, that have been deep cycled too many times.. They would last approx 45min.

My new setup is 4 group31 commercial deep-cycle AGM batteries. 115AH each. Hopefully this new stereo bank will have me going for a long time.

2 JL HD750/1
1 JL HD600/4
1 Wetsounds SYN4

I have a bit more power than you basically a different sub amp and only 2 2400s and it lasts longer than the day so you should be GTG. I do use a xantrix shore charger on them though.

bushtree 02-18-2013 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraRob (Post 1807266)
I have a bit more power than you basically a different sub amp and only 2 2400s and it lasts longer than the day so you should be GTG. I do use a xantrix shore charger on them though.

Got a ProMariner 40amp charger myself ;) batteries are plugged in whenever the boats not in the water

wakebrdr94 02-18-2013 2:09 PM

I run mine literally all day. Two batteries, two alpine amps, l7 sub, 6 in boats and 4 tower speakers. Two optima blue tops, only use one for the stereo when at the sand bar, never an issue

jwmustangin 02-18-2013 3:37 PM

[QUOTE]I run mine literally all day. Two batteries, two alpine amps, l7 sub, 6 in boats and 4 tower speakers. Two optima blue tops, only use one for the stereo when at the sand bar, never an issue/QUOTE]

Wakebrder94,

Are you using a batter isolator like a stinger or are you using something like a surepower 1314/1315 separator that gives your starting battery 1st priority and monitors each battery's voltage?

Jeff

Elliottsx80 02-18-2013 4:23 PM

i had 3 750/1, 2 600/4 and 1 600/6 all jl marine amps powered with 8 golf cart batteries. played it last year hard at brostock for 2 days and nights hard never lower than 70% volume and it never died. yet to push it to the dead limit. but currently upgrading to 5 750/1s and 2 600/4s so wondering how much those extra 3 750s are going to drain my batteries. as long as i can get a full day ill be happy

cowwboy 02-18-2013 4:39 PM

I have one interstate 4D running my stereo with a 29 for a back up. I've never ran into a issue. We normally run it hard for 5-6 hours after boarding. I have two arc 300.2's, a ks mini, and a DD M1.
I did have trouble when using two group 28's and a class ab amp on my towers.
Which amps you have makes a huge difference along with battery maintenance.

k59 02-19-2013 1:29 AM

That's interesting that most of you are able to get that much time out of them.. I'll get more info on what's in my system when I get back to my boat tomorrow. As for the Optima blue-tops, they're brand new (less than a year old). They were just tested at the dealership who services my boat (very reputable), who said they both were fully charged and passed the tests-making sure they hold the charge, etc. But again, immediately after taking them out on the water and driving around for about a half-hour, we parked and just stopped to listen to music. I'd say no more than 45 minutes out of one battery before the sub died and I restarted the engine back on the BOTH battery setting. I think my amps are average. As for the new equipment, I've got Alpine speakers in the cabin all around, a Pioneer deck (both the speakers and deck new models as of last year). And for the specifics on what amps, models of equip, etc. I'm running, I'll have to get back to you on. Will do so tomorrow.. Could it be anything else? Obviously if it were to be a battery issue the dealership would have found out about it and ran the warranty coverage through them since they also sell Optima.

david_e_m 02-19-2013 2:27 AM

K59,
If you have a Group 34, then keep in mind that it is an undersized battery and smaller capacity than a Group 24 for example. But from my experieince, it still seems unusual that you are not getting much more time, even from a Group 34.
I would look into the possibility that there is a connection or other issue that is keeping the battery from getting a proper charge. An ACR/VSR, if so equipped, can actually keep the stereo battery isolated from the alternator under certain conditions. Perhaps you have a parasitic drain that weakens the battery before you take the boat out. A poorly tuned system, mis-use of equalization, amplifier efficiency and similar issues can contribute to excessive draw, although this decline appears too aggressive.
To quickly narrow down the problem a basic multimeter can get right to the matter and save you hours of time. Check the voltage before you go out and when the amplifier shuts down. Check the voltage at the amplifier terminals and under load as the high resistance of the meter alone may not reveal a real problem.

David

LFMCrider6 02-19-2013 5:03 AM

K59,

I had the same problem with a Blue top a few years ago. The pervious owner of the boat has the head unit 12 volt direct and 12 volt ign. attached to the same lead so he did not have to turn the key on. This would kill the battey every time i took the boat out. So i rewired it and added two amps, sub and tower speakers on one blue top and it would last 6 hr no problem and start the boat back up.

grant_west 02-19-2013 7:44 AM

"How long can you run your system with the motor off" it's a pretty simple question that has No simple answer. Pretty much anything anyone tells you here is out the window Not because its bad advice but because there are so many variables its imposable to say accurately what run times are.
A example would be this if you played music that was very bass heavy on a system that had lots of power draw from subs you can cut your run time in 1/2 Vs playing music that had lots of draw from the hull and tower amps. People that are saying they get 4 days of run time with the system at 70% are full of $hit. Yea if you have little to no bass and you have that turnd down they yea No problem
I'm sure you can play. It's like MPG in a car if you drive it like a grandma you can get great MPG and brag to your friends I get 55+ MPG but do you drive like that all the time? I guess it's all what your used to. I have 1 battery in the pontoon boat and I can play all day long with the motor off no problem! But I'm sure if I ran it harder I could drain it no problem so how does this information help you. It dosent and I guess that's my point sorry

grant_west 02-19-2013 8:20 AM

"How long can you run your system with the motor off" it's a pretty simple question that has No simple answer. Pretty much anything anyone tells you here is out the window Not because its bad advice but because there are so many variables its imposable to say accurately what run times are.
A example would be this if you played music that was very bass heavy on a system that had lots of power draw from subs you can cut your run time in 1/2 Vs playing music that had lots of draw from the hull and tower amps. People that are saying they get 4 days of run time with the system at 70% are full of $hit. Yea if you have little to no bass and you have that turnd down they yea No problem
I'm sure you can play. It's like MPG in a car if you drive it like a grandma you can get great MPG and brag to your friends I get 55+ MPG but do you drive like that all the time? I guess it's all what your used to. I have 1 battery in the pontoon boat and I can play all day long with the motor off no problem! But I'm sure if I ran it harder I could drain it no problem so how does this information help you. It dosent and I guess that's my point sorry

BradM07SS 02-19-2013 9:01 AM

I just tested this out this weekend. I have 2 skar 125.5 amps (inboat and tower) Class D 4 channels, AQ 2200.1 sub amp @ 1ohm. I run 6 exile 6.5's, 2 rev 10's and 2 sa 15's. My battery bank consists of 4 group 29 Duracell batteries.

My deck sends a clipping signal at volume 46 out of 50. All of my amps are tuned not to clip at volume 45. I set the deck on volume 40 and let it play. Mostly hip/hop rap. It lasted about 5 hours and started cutting out. My system is pretty damn efficient with the class D 4 channels. I have 420 AH worth of batteries and still couldn't play all day as some of you state.

david_e_m 02-19-2013 10:00 AM

If you play your system until it cuts out you are well below 12 volts. If you do this with enough repetition you can ruin otherwise great batteries. Consumer grade deep cycle batteries do not like to be discharged below 50 percent (half power). So try to have enough capacity that you do not regularly exceed this threshold. Your batteries will last MUCH longer.

David
Earmark Marine

polarbill 02-19-2013 11:03 AM

David, have you ever installed a low voltage disconnect to the remote turn on's for the stereo equipment? This seems like pretty good idea for the systems guys are running these days.

SouthCack 02-19-2013 11:21 AM

Anybody use a wetsounds equalizer with the PA system? I just bought one and was wondering how good it works.

you_da_man 02-19-2013 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthCack (Post 1807429)
Anybody use a wetsounds equalizer with the PA system? I just bought one and was wondering how good it works.

Had mine for 3 years with no problems at all.

david_e_m 02-19-2013 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1807428)
David, have you ever installed a low voltage disconnect to the remote turn on's for the stereo equipment? This seems like pretty good idea for the systems guys are running these days.

Brett,
That sounds like a really good idea. Or, at least an alarm to notify you that the voltage has dipped below a certain point.
David
Earmark Marine

bryce2320 02-19-2013 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthCack (Post 1807429)

Works awesome IMO. Being able to adjust your hole system at your fingertips is priceless, and the PA is just an added bonus. Im sure youll love it.

bryce2320 02-19-2013 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_e_m (Post 1807416)
If you play your system until it cuts out you are well below 12 volts. If you do this with enough repetition you can ruin otherwise great batteries. Consumer grade deep cycle batteries do not like to be discharged below 50 percent (half power). So try to have enough capacity that you do not regularly exceed this threshold. Your batteries will last MUCH longer.

David
Earmark Marine

David, Im curious as to what depleting your battery bank to 50% would look like on my distroblock with the volt meter on it. Also, what is the volt meter supposed to show with a fully charged battery bank? 12.7 fully charged? I would think you wouldnt want to get below 12?

david_e_m 02-19-2013 6:31 PM

Bryce,
That all sounds about right to me.

David

lionel 02-19-2013 9:02 PM

I know some newer MC's have an alarm to let you know the batteries are getting low..

k59 02-20-2013 2:25 AM

Okay.. So here's my system..

Deck: (1) Alpine CDE-123
Cabin Speakers: (4) Alpine SPS-M600 Type-S speakers
Subwoofer: (1) 10" ArcAudio sub in custom resin-coated enclosure
Amps #1: (1) Rockford-Fosgate Punch P400-4
Amp #2: (1) JL Audio G4500 500W Four-Channel Amp
Amp #3: (1) Alpine PDX-1.600 amp
Equalizer: (1) WetSounds WS-420
Batteries: (2) Optima Blue-Top Model D31-M

Battery Switch: settings: Batt.1, BOTH, Batt.2

Hope this helps...

david_e_m 02-20-2013 3:56 AM

K59,
You should measure for a parasitic drain (DC current),
measure voltage before you go out and when the system shuts down (DC voltage),
measure voltage at the amplifier primary terminals under load,
totally disconnect each battery, slow charge each fully, and measure each individually several days later to see if you are maintaining the target 12.8 V (on an AGM) or are losing considerable voltage which would indicate a bad battery. Or, you could have them load tested.
Then investigate for a possible bad connection or cable that is keeping you from getting a good charge from the alternator.

David
Earmark Marine

williamburell 02-20-2013 8:05 AM

Quote:

I know some newer MC's have an alarm to let you know the batteries are getting low..
been around for awhile. I have one on my 02. To be honest its a complete pita when you are running off sep batteries. If It dips below "starting requirements" it beeps louder than hell and cuts off your system.

bruizza 02-20-2013 9:03 AM

At extremely loud volume I get about 1.5 hours out of my batteries before the engine needs to be started. I have to Interstate Group 24s just for the stereo.. As for amps I have 3 syn 4s, a syn 2 and an RE Audio 3000.1

k59 02-20-2013 11:18 AM

David,
What would be the optimal blue-top? I assumed that the top performer was the most expensive of the group...

david_e_m 02-20-2013 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k59 (Post 1807672)
David,
What would be the optimal blue-top? I assumed that the top performer was the most expensive of the group...

In a Blue Top, the group 31 is their largest and the group 34 is their smallest. I know the numeric designations don't make a lot of sense.

David
Earmark Marine

chpthril 02-20-2013 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k59 (Post 1807588)
Okay.. So here's my system..

Deck: (1) Alpine CDE-123
Cabin Speakers: (4) Alpine SPS-M600 Type-S speakers
Subwoofer: (1) 10" ArcAudio sub in custom resin-coated enclosure
Amps #1: (1) Rockford-Fosgate Punch P400-4
Amp #2: (1) JL Audio G4500 500W Four-Channel Amp
Amp #3: (1) Alpine PDX-1.600 amp
Equalizer: (1) WetSounds WS-420
Batteries: (2) Optima Blue-Top Model D31-M

Battery Switch: settings: Batt.1, BOTH, Batt.2

Hope this helps...

Am i missing something :confused: I see 4 alpine 6.5" speaker and a 10" sub, but you have a total of 9 amplifier chnls. 8 full-range and one mono. Are the two 4 chnls running in 2 chnl mode?

I would check the battery voltage on both batteries before and going going out as David suggested. If the voltage is low coming off and the batteries are not recharged, they will be low next trip out. If they are normal when you come off the water, then low when you go out next time, you need to look for a drain. I would also like to know what the alternator is charging at: idle, under load and above idle. If no problem is found, then I would consider a better battery in terms of Ah's other then the colored tops.

Wesatfaith 02-21-2013 12:10 PM

The best set up for your boat.

4 interstate 8-d truck batteries 1 ot custom cable tying all the 4 truck batteries together. Perk o switch two blue tops just for starting the boat if the 4 8-d are dead. There's a solenoid that allows the alternator to charge the 4 truck batteries when the the boat is on. As soon as I turn the boat off the solenoid opens leaving the 4 8-d just for the stereo. The stereo won't turn off when the boat starts or turns off. I'm running two 10w7 1000watts to each sub in ported boxes 3 some on the tower wet sounds one 6 channel amp for the 3 sets of jl audio 7.7 components in the x star. The wet sounds eq and a alpine head unit. I can blast it for 4 days straight before they die then I just click over to the two blue tops to get it started. It's sick there s so much power behind the speakers because the batteries have exactly what the amps have. Hope this helps

cprfab 02-21-2013 12:22 PM

I've got 9000 watts out of (4) arc audio se2300's and an arc audio se4000, I can go camping for a weekend with varying play volumes and not shut down an amp. There's (12) 6 volt golf cart batteries, split into two banks in the rear lockers, charged by only the xantrex 40 amp charger. Too many times have I seen a well put together stereo only to fall short on an adequate battery bank and proper gauge cabling

UNvisible 02-22-2013 8:21 AM

i have a 450 amp hour stereo bank, and a 120 amp hour house bank. I can play my system off either bank, for a total of about 8 hours. That is 8 hours of absolute 100% woofer blowing abuse. My system is about 4000w RMS, and I play nothing but very bass heavy electronic and rap.