WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Anyone put a Monster Cargo rack on Supra? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786275)

lavinder 03-08-2011 9:04 AM

Anyone put a Monster Cargo rack on Supra?

I want to put a Cargo Bimini on my 2007 Supra and have two options:
1. Cargo Z5 - ~$2000
2. Monster Cargo - $600.

Z5's are nice, but for 1/3 the price, Monster is looking nice too.

loudontn 03-08-2011 1:29 PM

Yes, I have the Monster Cargo Bimini on my '05 Supra Launch 24SSV. I have the small and could use the medium but it works really well.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6510075_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...4_677104_n.jpg

fman 03-08-2011 9:42 PM

If you can afford it, go with the Z-5, its a much nicer, larger top that will help your boat look better and hold more equipment than the monster rack. If you cant afford the Z-5 then the Monster is a good runner up, but it does not compare to the Z-5 quality or appearance. As you can see from the pictures it barely supplies you with any sun coverage.

Not bashing the Monster, it is quite a bit less expensive but it does not compare to the Z-5.

chattwake 03-09-2011 4:36 AM

I will never buy another boat without a z5. This is one of the reasons I went with an A22 instead of a VLX. I had those racks on my 230's, and learned to love them. When it rains, you stay dry. When it's sunny, there's a lot of shade. When you're at a wakeboard tourny, you can stand on the friggin rack to see. You can store more wakeboards and surfboards safely on the z5. You can throw a huge cooler up there and it holds it fine. You can tow with it at 80mph no problem. You can ask Ray at Z5 and he'll probably get the skeleton powdercoated for you to match your boat if you want. The customer service at z5 is unbelievable. I had to make some custom changes to get my rack to fit on my A22 with 2 485's and Ray shipped me out exactly what I need for next to nothing.

There are waterproof pockets sewn in under the z5 so you can store your phone, ipod, wallet safely and keep them dry. I've camped on my boat and thrown the cover up over the tower and z5 and the boat ends up much like a tent. I'll see if I can find a picture of me doing this during the PWT stop (during a rainstorm). The z5 helps keep the cover up off of you.

tn_rider 03-09-2011 5:18 AM

is it possible to put one on a titan 1? id love to put one on mine but its not looking possible

talltigeguy 03-09-2011 6:54 AM

I cannot believe that a piece of fabric, some velcro and metal tubes can cost 2K. No wonder the customer service is good, you are paying out the nose for it.

tampawake 03-09-2011 7:06 AM

Tall I was thinking the same thing. All these boat manufacturers make it seem these things are made of pure gold or platinum. I get profit but DAMN.

loudontn 03-09-2011 7:20 AM

I've towed upwards of 70 with the Monster and it's done fine, they don't recommend it (I think Z5 doesn't either) but if it's installed properly it won't go anywhere. Only problem I've had with the Monster is that a stray cat got a hold of one of the bungee's and chewed through it. I'm going into my 3rd season with it and it holds everything I ask it to.

The Z5 is a really good product, and is really well built, I've used one several times. It's not worth $1,300 more than the Monster IMO. I can keep my phone waterproof with a ziploc bag if I'm that worried about it.

lavinder 03-09-2011 9:07 AM

I appreciate the feedback and pictures. Monster has a Supra on their website with the rack too. I wanted to hear personal experiences. I am looking for something to store my sufrboard and my sons knee board. Seems like the Monster rack would be a good fit price wise. I would have a hard time sneaking a $2k rack past my wife.

fman 03-09-2011 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chattwake (Post 1664727)
I will never buy another boat without a z5. This is one of the reasons I went with an A22 instead of a VLX. I had those racks on my 230's, and learned to love them. When it rains, you stay dry. When it's sunny, there's a lot of shade. When you're at a wakeboard tourny, you can stand on the friggin rack to see. You can store more wakeboards and surfboards safely on the z5. You can throw a huge cooler up there and it holds it fine. You can tow with it at 80mph no problem. You can ask Ray at Z5 and he'll probably get the skeleton powdercoated for you to match your boat if you want. The customer service at z5 is unbelievable. I had to make some custom changes to get my rack to fit on my A22 with 2 485's and Ray shipped me out exactly what I need for next to nothing.

There are waterproof pockets sewn in under the z5 so you can store your phone, ipod, wallet safely and keep them dry. I've camped on my boat and thrown the cover up over the tower and z5 and the boat ends up much like a tent. I'll see if I can find a picture of me doing this during the PWT stop (during a rainstorm). The z5 helps keep the cover up off of you.

The only downfall to the Z-5 is you cant stow it away on the lake if you want full sunlight and its a little bit of a PIA to take off and on. Towing at 70mph with it was a little sketchy but I added extra tie straps and never had any problems. But I agree with you, I had one of my Supra and it was great. I will miss it on the VLX, but I was glad to see Malibu added two additional board rack mounts for the G3 tower, having 4 swivel board racks will be nice.... this will help make up for the lost storage space the Z-5 provided.

fman 03-09-2011 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talltigeguy (Post 1664735)
I cannot believe that a piece of fabric, some velcro and metal tubes can cost 2K. No wonder the customer service is good, you are paying out the nose for it.

BOAT = Break out another thousand! What part does not cost three times more than it should for a boat?

BWB745 03-09-2011 6:09 PM

Just a thought:

When I had my Jeep and followed the off road forums people who wanted a custom roll cage would often take a picture of an aftermarket cage to their local welding shop and have one made while saving a few hundred than buying the aftermarket one.

I see no problem with doing the same here. If you want it to be removable have them incorporate some type of quick disconnect or something. I'm sure a reputable, small business owner would be more than happy to at least look into it.

ilikebeaverandboats 03-09-2011 6:33 PM

great excuse to buy some benders....and some sweet welding gear....oh, and to learn how to weld :)

redsupralaunch 03-09-2011 6:39 PM

I have a used Z5 for sale that was on my '10 promo boat. It was only used about 6 months. Jut pm me

BTW - If you ever want the SUN or fly down the hiway, dont try to stow the Z5. Just take off the fabric. It takes the same amount time as rolling up any other bimini.

fman 03-10-2011 8:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsupralaunch (Post 1664873)
I have a used Z5 for sale that was on my '10 promo boat. It was only used about 6 months. Jut pm me

BTW - If you ever want the SUN or fly down the hiway, dont try to stow the Z5. Just take off the fabric. It takes the same amount time as rolling up any other bimini.

Taking it off is not as bad, but putting it back on takes quite some time. At least that is how it was for me. I dont think you can compare it to folding up a standard bimini, its a little more complex than that.

redsupralaunch 03-10-2011 12:42 PM

Ok Travis brought up a good point. The first time you put the Z5 fabric back on takes 10 min extra to figure it out. LOL But its like riding a bike after that

gmarkham1 03-11-2011 4:57 PM

I just picked up a medium size Monster Cargo Bimini for my 2007 Supra 21v. However I got it from http://www.greatlakesboattop.com/ they were running a 25% off deal last month with promo code "LUV25" and it is the same bimini that Monster sells. You could try calling them and see if you can sweet talk them into the same deal. It was less then $500 shipped to my house, which was great because, like you, I had to get my wife on board and the deal made it too good for her to say no.

I am going to install it this weekend.

Bakes 03-12-2011 5:00 PM

I like my monster bimini a lot. I do wish it were about 12" wider though. Tempted to having it widened.

lavinder 03-16-2011 6:41 AM

Chris,
Sent you a pm.
Jeff