WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through March 15, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=309006)
-   -   Re: Jeep Cherokee (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305475)

partydock17 03-08-2006 9:53 PM

Alright guys, thanks for the info so far. <BR> <BR>I found an older Cherokee close by. <BR> <BR>Inline 6 with 4x4 and lift. <BR> <BR>I forgot I dont have to tow the boat with it because I can use the box truck from the shop. <BR> <BR> <BR>Does anyone have one of these or model and year close that can tell me what they like or dislike about them? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks for the 3rd time! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Danny T. <BR><a href="http://WWW.WakeboardOklahoma.COM" target="_blank">WWW.WakeboardOklahoma.COM</a> <BR><a href="http://WWW.OKCBoardShop.COM" target="_blank">WWW.OKCBoardShop.COM</a>

tyboarder03 03-09-2006 12:48 AM

What year?

greatdane 03-09-2006 12:54 AM

I had a 1993 that mostly wore out after 100K miles. Next, I had a 1999 that mostly wore out after 95K miles. <BR>Now, after owning an Acura MDX for a year, I can't imagine buying a Jeep ever again.

mbrown 03-09-2006 12:56 AM

Can the MDX pull a 4000lb boat/trailer combo? Those are sweet rides.

greatdane 03-09-2006 1:23 AM

I don't tow, so I don't know. But, Edmunds says: <BR> <BR>2006 Acura MDX <BR> <BR>Wheel Base: 106.3 in. <BR>Curb Weight: 4515 lbs. <BR>Maximum Towing Capacity: 4500 lbs. <BR>Horsepower: 253 hp (V6). <BR>Torque: 250 ft-lbs. <BR> <BR>2006 Jeep GCL <BR> <BR>Wheel Base: 109.5 in <BR>Curb Weight: 4094 lbs. <BR>Maximum Towing Capacity: 7200 lbs. <BR>Horsepower: 235 hp (V8). <BR>Torque: 295 ft-lbs.

hal2814 03-09-2006 6:28 AM

Now you're really talking Jeep, Danny. I'm a 2000 Cherokee owner with the inline 6. I absolutely love it. 2001 was the last year they made the Cherokee before they swapped it out for the Liberty (grumble, grumble). <BR> <BR>I'm personally wondering if GD had the Cherokee or the Grand Cherokee since he's referencing the Grand when comparing to the MDX. Despite their similar names, they are very different vehicles. It's been my experince (and Consumer Reports at least backs me up on this) that the Cherokee is very reliable from a drivetrain perspective while the Grand is not as reliable, especially when it comes to transmissions. I'm not really sure what GD would've "wore out" about it in 100K and then 95K miles. Maybe he just mispelled "got tired of it." Even the worst put together vehicles last longer than 100K. <BR> <BR>Depending on the amount of lift, a Cherokee may be completely unsuitable for towing. If it's not a major lift, you can tow 5000 according to the book with the old manual or any automatic transmission. From experience, I wouldn't go above 4000, especially on a boat ramp. You can only tow 2000 with the newer (post 96) manual. I know you said you don't need to tow but I'm just letting you know your limits. <BR> <BR>The Cherokee's full-time 4 wheel drive is excellent. If the part time unit is the same as the Wrangler's, it is also excellent. Either system was available as an option. There may have been 2 full-time systems and 1 part time system to pick from depending on the year model. <BR> <BR>Here's a list of my pros and cons on the Cherokee. <BR> <BR>Pros: <BR>-I-6 delivers a TON of torque at the low end. <BR>-Best visibility I've ever had on a vehicle. <BR>-The second best turn radius I've ever had on a vehicle (slightly behind the Wrangler) <BR>-The size is comparable with a station wagon which is big enough for family trips without being a monster on the road. <BR>-The radio antenna has incredible AM pickup. <BR>-The engine can be worked on yourself pretty easily, and the I-6 leaves plenty of room in the engine compartment to work around. <BR>-The recommended oil change interval is every 7500 miles or twice a year. <BR> <BR>Cons: <BR>-Gas mileage could be better. Getting 20 MPG off of a 3300 lb vehicle driven by a 6 cylinder leaves a bit to be desired. Then again, it has the aerodynamics of a brick. <BR>-Road noise is very noticeable but you're buying a Jeep. You should expect that. It is better than a hard top Wrangler from a road noise perspective. <BR>-There are NO creature comforts on the vehicle. There are two cupholders in the entire vehicle, the seats are decent but not great, and there aren't even vanity mirrors on mine. Cruise control and a decent AC are all you'll get. I acutally consider this a pro but I realize that most people do not. <BR>-The back seats are very cramped. I use the back seat for two baby seats (one rear and one front facing) so it doesn't bother me all that much. The good news is that unlike the Liberty which has big back seats, this leaves the Cherokee with a decent cargo area. <BR>-I have to get aligments pretty often comapred to most vehicles (every 30K or so). <BR> <BR>The Cherokee engine and transmission will last forver if you take care of them (and as long as you avoid the early Cherokees with the V-6 engines that leaked oil from the factory). The rest of the vehicle will wear considerably after about 150K-170K unless you take real good care of it. I've known about 15 people who have at some point owned a Cherokee (3 of these people at some point owned the same Cherokee). Some like the vehicle and some do not but it always seems to get the job done and it always seems to be reliable if taken care of at all.

partydock17 03-09-2006 7:13 AM

Thanks for the info guys, <BR> <BR> <BR>the one I found is a 1998 with a 3" lift and 31" tires... <BR> <BR>Inline 6 <BR> <BR> <BR>Danny T. <BR><a href="http://WWW.OKCBoardShop.COM" target="_blank">WWW.OKCBoardShop.COM</a> <BR><a href="http://WWW.WakeboardOklahoma.COM" target="_blank">WWW.WakeboardOklahoma.COM</a>

mikeski 03-09-2006 10:54 PM

I used to tow with my Cherokee 4.0, Grand Cherokee 5.2, and Grand 5.9. The boat I was towing was just a 2500lb ski nautique and it was still a bit bouncy but there was towing power was adequate in all cases. <BR> <BR>They were great vehicles except for the junky rear ends they use, moderate other mechanical issues as well. Plan on replacing axles and bearings if you tow much. I finally upgraded to off road/racing axles during round 3 with the 5.2 Grand.

greatdane 03-09-2006 11:11 PM

I had a 93 Cherokee. It had transmission problems at 100K miles. It was otherwise a decent vehicle and thats why I got another Jeep. <BR> <BR>I had a 99 Grand Cherokee. It had front end trouble, front brake trouble, and transmission troubles. Then, at 95K miles, it would overheat when I tried to tow the boat on the hiway with temps over 80. <BR> <BR>Both vehicles were well maintained.

greggh 03-09-2006 11:24 PM

Jeep Cherokee will last longer than the parts they put on it. I owned a 1989 with the 4.0 litre I-6. It lasted over 300,000 miles. Granted at the end it was a little rough but still had a ton of power. At about 150,000 miles, I had to replace fuel injectors, alternator, power steering pump, water pump. These are all maintenance issues and not major problems. The good thing is the engine is easy to work on yourself. I now own a Grand Cherokee Limited. This is a great car. I drive in the snow all the time and there is not a car out there that is any better. The four-wheel drive system is one of the best on the market. The trick is to service your Jeep on a regular basis. Change the oil, flush the coolant, etc. The Jeep's have a ton of power as long as it's after the V-6, and the 4.0 litre is still in production. The new Hemi is unreal. I drove the Commander and the Grand Cherokee and am considering upgrading. Jeep's Rock!

hal2814 03-10-2006 5:30 AM

Bummer that the tranny gave you problems at 100K, GD. That's pretty unusual. You could usually get away with not even following maintenance schedule for a tranny of that vintage and come out ok. I've heard considerable horror stories about the 99 model GC. To be fair though, it was the first year of the new model GC. That thing was completely redesigned from the ground up and it showed in the problems that cropped up. <BR> <BR>Don't look now Gregg but the 4.0L will be a thing of the past starting in the 2006 model year. Even the Wranglers are moving to the 3.7L V6. As far as I know, that will make BMW the last bastion of IL6 engines (at least in the US anyways).

atlsackedup 03-10-2006 5:51 AM

Danny T...Not that I'm close by (I live in Atlanta), but I've got a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country 4x4 with the factory tow package with 95k miles on it...for sale for $5,200. Just throwing it out there in case anyone is interested.