WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wake to wake jumps help (with video) (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794898)

rplogue7 08-03-2012 4:31 PM

Wake to wake jumps help (with video)

Hey guys I'm sort of addicted to wakeboarding and I really want to bring my tricks to a new level by being able to jump wake to wake. I'm using a cheap ski handle (which could affect things) and I'm riding a ronix district. And my boat is an 06 mastercraft x2. If replacing my tow rope is effective, I'm willing to spend about 90$ on a new one. Any reccomendations are appreciated!

Here's my vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S797FG8a8OE

Thank you!

alexair 08-03-2012 9:43 PM

Rope, board and even boat doesn't matter if you really want to ride
inspiration from Scott

tampawake 08-04-2012 5:49 AM

boat speed, rope length might help too let us know.

nick_in_ssp 08-04-2012 8:23 AM

Looks pretty good, you have some good pop off the wake try and shorten the rope. Your wake looks really wide for a beginer to clear.

rplogue7 08-04-2012 10:31 AM

I'm riding at 24.1 mph and my rope is at 60 feet but I have a quick question : if i were using a vinyl covered mainline would I be able to hold my height from wake to wake?

baitkiller 08-04-2012 11:09 AM

Its the Indian, not the arrow. Your rope is fine. handle down, eyes up, hold your edge and stand tall.

nick_in_ssp 08-04-2012 5:44 PM

I'm going to say there's no way that is 24.1 mph looks more like 20.5. Check your speed with a gps. If your riding 24.1 and the wake is breaking 2 feet behind your 60 foot rope there is no way you'll ever be able to start riding longer lengths behind that Mastercraft. The speedometers are never accurate unless hooked up to a gps system even then sometimes you need to double check and calibrate them. I have had never used the speedos in any of the boats I have ever had, always had a gps and used the tach to translate speed. Tachs never lie.

tahoeguy7 08-05-2012 5:52 AM

I agree with Baitkiller. You need to carry more speed into the wake by holding your edge longer. You just have to keep charging it until the extra speed gets more comfortable. Also, it looks like you are trying to jump at the top of the wake, you just have to stand tall and let the wake kick you up. If you bend your legs in an effort to get more pop, you lose energy and thus height.

stephan 08-05-2012 10:04 AM

Do some research on the progressive edge. You will notice that your hardest edge is pretty much when you start cutting. You need to figure out how to start with a slow cut and have your hardest edge as you ride up the wake.

wakerider111 08-05-2012 1:48 PM

this is a great video on wake jumps, check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckkf840HZE4

a thing i will add is to try hard to keep both hands on the handle. don't let a bad habit form from letting go with your back hand every time.
Try to jump just a little higher and/or farther toeside too. might as well work that side too. sometimes people will feel something kind of click jumpi9ng toeside and can use that heelside... i know i was that way.

a metaphor to expound on what Clay said: Getting pop is similar to jumping on a trampoline. a trampoline has give and so does the surface of the water, but more mushy in comparison to a trampoline. one actually doesn't "jump" on a trampoline, to do so wouldn't get you far off the mat. getting air on a trampoline requires a person to extend their legs (standing tall) at just the right moment to rebound off the trampoline returning to its shape. getting pop off the water is kinda similar. as you edge into the wake it is comparable to pushing into the mat of a trampoline.
sometimes a rebounding ollie jump after an ollie can be effective in feeling the mushy spring of water.

Readyaimfire 08-06-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rplogue7 (Post 1773538)
I'm riding at 24.1 mph and my rope is at 60 feet but I have a quick question : if i were using a vinyl covered mainline would I be able to hold my height from wake to wake?

The wake companies would like you to think so. But just cause u ride Harley's pro model doesn't mean u can instantly do wake to wake double tantrums!

One thing I want to add is I've read someone say to jump further toeside. Please don't do this. Never jump! Simply take a nice carve at the wake and hold your carve all the way through the top of the wake. This is all u need to do. The guys getting booted the highest look like they aren't even trying. It's all about creating an effective/efficient edge.

rplogue7 08-06-2012 5:22 AM

It sounds like i just need some more time to progress and then ill have it down. I actually knuckled it a few times if you looked in the video.
Thanks for all the help! I will definitely send feedback soon!

Houstonshark 08-06-2012 1:10 PM

It looked like you were going to clear it at :47 until that finger got in the way and denied you!

On 2 of the jumps at least, it looked like you charged the wake to jump while the boat was turning. It also kinda looks like, the boat is drifting a little at times or the driver is not pulling you in a straight line. Try to keep an eye out as to when the driver needs to turn or is about to turn before cutting out to jump.

wakerider111 08-06-2012 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Readyaimfire (Post 1773730)
The wake companies would like you to think so. But just cause u ride Harley's pro model doesn't mean u can instantly do wake to wake double tantrums!

One thing I want to add is I've read someone say to jump further toeside. Please don't do this. Never jump! Simply take a nice carve at the wake and hold your carve all the way through the top of the wake. This is all u need to do. The guys getting booted the highest look like they aren't even trying. It's all about creating an effective/efficient edge.

ok let me rephrase, allow yourself to work on toeside too, just as said above no actual "jumping" like you would on land but "jumping" as in good edge with good pop. learning both toe and heel will help in the long run and will be more enjoyable too

showmedonttellme 08-17-2012 2:42 PM

Simple. Go 10-15 feet out from the wake. Hold the handle low at hips. Look at the shore on the opposite side of the wake at a 45 degree angle from the boat. Point your board at that angela and LEAVE IT THERE. Do Not change your angle. When you ride up the wake straighten your legs like you're bouncing on the trampoline. Push the handle down AND LEAVE IT THERE. You will clear the wake 1st try. Gair-un-teed.

Good Luck