WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   What if John "Bones" Jones won the world title... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786553)

hatepain 03-23-2011 9:41 AM

What if John "Bones" Jones won the world title...

and no one on Wake World wanted to talk about it? Did it really happen?

I'm surprised this hasn't come up. I mean JBJ owns, I mean owns the #1 LH in the world (sherdog) and no on here brings it up? What a great fight for us JBJ fans. It beyond answers any questions we had about the level of opponent that he can beat, which was mostly answered in the Bader fight but even there he made Bader look so bad I started questioning how good Bader is. But to see him come out and dominate in stand up, take down, ground and pound even a sub attempt was super impressive. I figured he had little chance on his feet but boy was I wrong.

Where does this put him in your eyes? Commentators are plunking him down right next to Anderson already. Is he there? Would Anderson dare fight him at 205?

tings00 03-23-2011 11:20 AM

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786344

towards the bottom

lizzyb 03-23-2011 1:02 PM

I really only look on Wakeworld for any UFC or NBA threads.. so I guess I'm too lazy to actually start my own thread.

I am a big fan of JBJ.. always have been. I've said since his first fights that he was the future of MMA.. and I'm glad I was right. :)

I don't think it's fair to guys like GSP or Silva to put JBJ quite there yet.. but he's certainly in the top 5 in my opinion. I'd be much more interested in seeing JBJ fight Silva than GSP.

There has been such a revolving door of LHW champs, but I think JBJ is legit and will actually stay there for quite awhile.

hatepain 03-23-2011 3:06 PM

I saw that Tings and there were two posts then back to the topic at hand, its actually what inspired the post.

Lizzy, I'm with you I waited a couple days to start this one.

I too don't think he should be held in the same regard as the guys that have dominatly held their title for a year or two. Not because he doesn't have the skills but rather because those guys have earned the right to be up on that pedistal. Based on the interviews with JBJ and the humility her shows I'm certain he' say the same thing.

LHW is the hardest devision to hold a belt because they guys there have not only subs, stamina, wrestling but one punch knockout power too. So many ways to end a fight.

gunz 03-23-2011 4:18 PM

I've been watching MMA for a looooong time,and no one in his weight class can touch him.
He's going to be there a while.

I get most of my mma news through MMA.TV,great site,alot of fighters actually post there.

poser007 03-23-2011 5:19 PM

JBJ has the longest reach in MMA giving him a huge advantage over anyone he fights. That being said the dream match up would be Jones vs Silva. IMP Silva would knock Jones out if it stayed standing. But as we all know, Jones has an uncanny ability to take everyone he faces to the ground. Once there you are in big trouble.

I think if Jones gets Silva to the ground he would put some major hurting on Silva. Now on the other hand SOnnen kicked the crap out of Silva and Silva hung in there and won. The only way I see anyone at 205 beating Jones is in the stand up, if someone like Rampage or Machida can keep the fight from goin gto the ground they have that punchers chance. As for now, I see Jones holding the belt for quite a while unless someone gets in a lucky punch. A guy like Jones comes along once in a decade or 2.

So now we have domination in just about every cleass but heavyweight.

Light weight Edgar ( Not so much donmination I know)
Welter we have GSP
Middle we have A Silva
LH JBJ

jeff_mn 03-24-2011 7:23 AM

This guy will ****ing dominate. He made Shogun look foolish - he was patient, varied in his attack, strong on the feet and floor and he's long..

There is no "type" of guy that will beat him.. He's a great wrestler with solid top control, wicked GNP, improving muay thai and BJJ - this guy is legitmately the total package. He makes GSP's skillset look pretty tame - and that says a lot, considering he's been training 3 years.

There is no type of guy that will beat him. He can stand with a great striker (shogun/vera), dominate top wrestlers (vlad, hamil, bader) and won't have any problems with a top BJJ guy (which is lacking at 205 in the UFC)...

Someone is going to have to "catch" this guy on the feet or fight for subs on the bottom.. I don't see him having a problem with any of the current 205's..

I'd like to see him fight

King Mo
Thiago Silva

Rashad won't have **** for him.

poser007 03-24-2011 11:22 AM

Who is King Mo?

hatepain 03-24-2011 11:49 AM

Yeah the only way I see him getting beat is being caught, which everyone is susceptible to that, or getting one of those long limbs of his slapped into a submission. But he seems to out class everyone in every facet, right now.

jeff_mn 03-24-2011 12:00 PM

Mo Lawal - former Strikeforce Champ..

Similar background to Jones - wrestling champ, decent hands, new to the sport, ultra athlettic..

Everyone can be caught.. But there is no chink in his armor.. Anderson is susceptible to a strong wrestler, Brock a striker, etc.. Jones is solid everywhere. He's pieced up two of the best muay thai 205's in the UFC on the feet and dominated the best wrestlers.. Unless they pull some BJJ wiz with sick take downs (Roger Gracie?) into the 205 - I doubt he'll have much of a challenge..

He's gonna make Rashad his Seniorita.

hatepain 03-24-2011 1:14 PM

I can't imagine Roger Gracie lasting a round with him.

jeff_mn 03-24-2011 3:16 PM

right..

he'd be the only guy with the ability to pull guard and search for subs from the bottom..

even though Rogrs BJJ game is almost solely top based ;-)

hatepain 03-24-2011 4:15 PM

He's pretty tall too isn't he?

buffalow 03-24-2011 5:37 PM

I am with the group here. I am a HUGE JBJ fan, but he is no Anderson. He may have all the skills to be an Anderson, but it takes years to build that sort of legacy. He will get caught in the next few fights, but that will just make him stronger, nastier and better. Than it will be over an he will run things for a decade. As of right now, no one in the division touches him. It is crazy that he is a 5-1 favorite on Rashad, who 8 days ago was the true contender to Shogun. Guys will have to move around in some weight closes to challenge him. The boxers don't want to face his jabs and the wrestlers don't want to be on the ground with him. When you take down the list of wrestlers he has dominated, it is crazy. I think he will get very bored there after a few fights and need a different challenge. He reminds me so much of a young Anderson it's crazy. So smooth and confident and dangerous everywhere.

Faber also looked very good, sharp and fast. Can't wait for him to be on TUF with Dominick Cruz...Although not confirmed, the writing is on the wall.

lizzyb 03-24-2011 9:32 PM

I will be ALL OVER a TUF season with Faber and Cruz. I absolutely love the idea.

jeff_mn 03-25-2011 6:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalow (Post 1668020)
I am with the group here. I am a HUGE JBJ fan, but he is no Anderson. He may have all the skills to be an Anderson, but it takes years to build that sort of legacy. He will get caught in the next few fights, but that will just make him stronger, nastier and better. Than it will be over an he will run things for a decade. As of right now, no one in the division touches him. It is crazy that he is a 5-1 favorite on Rashad, who 8 days ago was the true contender to Shogun. Guys will have to move around in some weight closes to challenge him. The boxers don't want to face his jabs and the wrestlers don't want to be on the ground with him. When you take down the list of wrestlers he has dominated, it is crazy. I think he will get very bored there after a few fights and need a different challenge. He reminds me so much of a young Anderson it's crazy. So smooth and confident and dangerous everywhere.

Faber also looked very good, sharp and fast. Can't wait for him to be on TUF with Dominick Cruz...Although not confirmed, the writing is on the wall.

He doesn't have Anderson Silva's Muay Thai skills but he has solid enough MT to beat Vera and Shogun - who have the best MT at 205 and his wrestling is lightyears better than Anderson - both offensive and defensive..

Anderson has benefitted greatly from a weight class full of one dimensional fighters.. Chael proved what it takes to beat him.. Andrson is great at what he does - but he would have problems with all strong wreslters. Fortunately he's been set up with inferior strikers and BJJ guys..

Both guys are the best at what they do - I simply think Jones is like nothin we've really ever seen before.. And I've been following the sport since UFC 1.

jeff_mn 03-25-2011 6:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatepain (Post 1668004)
He's pretty tall too isn't he?

Roger is very tall and has a lot of length like Jones, yes.. the only reason i picked his name out of the hat is because his submission game is #1 in the world without question and he has the size and wrestling to give Jones some issues..

99$ chance that Jones would stuff his takedowns and piece him up on the feet.

jeff_mn 03-25-2011 6:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzyb (Post 1668075)
I will be ALL OVER a TUF season with Faber and Cruz. I absolutely love the idea.

Both great fighters, both great personalitieis.

At the end of the season - everyone would love Faber even more and hate Cruz anymore. I admit I've become a fan of Dominics fighting style. He really sold me in his last bout.

His knee taps are an absolute thing of beauty.. On my BEST day I can't hit a knee tap that would be "average" to him.. Intersting stand up technique as well - tough to hit him and he comes from weird angles.

I'd cheer for Urijah all the way.. NORCAL STAND UP!

BCPMike0663 03-25-2011 9:00 AM

Anybody else excited about Hardy and Johnson free on spike this weekend? I think this fight could be awsome and end with Hardy laid out again like Condit did to him!

gunz 03-25-2011 9:07 AM

A nice free card indeed.
Lookin forward to it.

ponyh8r 03-25-2011 9:57 AM

The UFN fight this weekend is so awesome. I am mostly excited about the Lil Nog / Davis fight. I think Mr. Wonderful is such a legit guy. He is humble, has a great sense of humor and is just an all around great guy. His skills are top notch and reminds a lot of folks of JBJ. I think Davis takes this fight in the second round.

I see Rumble taking Hardy with ease if he is 100% healed from his injuries. He has been out of the fight game for nearly a year and a half. Hardy could catch him as well, but I feel Rumble hits much harder and has a better chance of the KO.

Also looking to see Amir fight. I love that guys personality. He is not a thrilling fighter, but his strikes and Muay Thai are text book perfect.

misteve 03-25-2011 10:25 AM

I will be there tomorrow at Key Arena! It's here in Seattle, it'll be my first live UFC event, so stoked!!

buffalow 03-28-2011 7:53 AM

Overall pretty boring UFN. Not complaining cause any free UFC is good for me. Does Hardy Get dropped/ 3 losses in a row? Dana says no because he loves Hardy. Davis looked good overall, but he is no Jon Jones as the comparisons are already being made. Jon Jones would destroy Lil Nog. Does anyone see Shields winning that fight? Have not checked the odds recently, but they were like 4 to 1 originally. He is a capable guy that does have mad skills, but it is GSP.

jeff_mn 03-28-2011 8:32 AM

Highlight of the night was Zombies "twister" on Garcia..

Two sub of the YEAR candidates in one night..

There were somy god damn BARN BURNERS on the undercard on Facebook... Holy **** - GREAT fights... The co-main events were both underwelming to say the least.

jeff_mn 03-28-2011 8:38 AM

From Bellator
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2...1111111112.gif

From UFN
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j...wc/s1600/3.gif

lizzyb 03-28-2011 9:40 AM

I will fall over and die if Shields beats GSP.

If you want to see a guy that lives and breathes MMA... follow GSP on Twitter or friend him on Facebook. The dude is SERIOUS about the sport and his title and I don't see him losing it to anyone at this point.

BCPMike0663 03-28-2011 11:49 AM

Disappointed in the two main events from this weekend. I was hoping for a huge brawl in the Johnson- Hardy fight. It ended up to be just straight boring.
I look at the Davis- Nog fight two ways. First it was a big step that Davis beat an elite opponent. So that shows he has potential. #2 He is definately not ready for the big boys yet. His stand up looks suspect and he got his take downs stuffed over and over again in the first half of the fight. Anyone that thinks he is ready for Mr Jones is kidding themselves. Maybe a match up with Ryan Bader if Bader can get by Ortiz would be the next step.

jeff_mn 03-28-2011 12:26 PM

Urijah and Cruz not coaching TUF 14.. They are fighting July 2nd as a headliner with Penn and Fitch 2..

Davis is good - but he's not on Jones level, nor should he be. He's got 3 or 4 less fights - give him some time and he will develop.

jeff_mn 04-12-2011 11:49 AM

Interesting turn of events..

Strikeforce was purchased by Zuffa.. Scott Coker spent considerable time after last Saturday's event talking about the possibility of co-mingling fighters in the future..

What happens Monday?

Strikeforce signs Mo Lawal vs. Roger Gracie... Right away there is speculation that the winner may or may not face Jon Jones (even though they won't be the SF title holder)..

Glad Zuffa is listening to my ideas ;-)

Hendo vs. Fedor coming up this summer.. Should be interesting.;

tings00 04-12-2011 12:44 PM

i wonder what weight hendo and fedor will fight at. If it will just be a heavy weight fight or if fedor will have to cut to 205.

jeff_mn 04-12-2011 2:14 PM

Sounds like it will be a catch weight fight beteen 215 and 220.

Hendo has never cared what weight he's fought at and Fedor is a tiny heavyweight.

Apparently a non-title fight but both guys have expressed interest in the fight.