WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Girls Who Ride (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=195511)
-   -   so wats it take to get sponsored? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200714)

wakechik 11-23-2004 10:30 AM

anyone know what the trick list is for girls to get some legit sponsors?

11-23-2004 10:25 PM

What level of sponsorship are you talking about? Like a full sponsorship or just getting local sponsors?

11-24-2004 1:11 PM

Getting sponsored is not just about what tricks you can do these days. It's mostly about how well you can represent the company that is sponsoring you. Of course it helps to be able to ride pretty good, but a lot of it has to do with attitude and what you can do for that company. You have to be willing to help out when you can and push that product. I think some people look at sponsorship as getting free stuff, but you really need to be willing to work for it. <BR> I would suggest if you are really serious about getting sponsored to try and get in good with your local board shop (if you aren't already). Help out at local events whenever you can and get to know the reps if possible. The more you are around, the better. <BR>These are just my thoughts - anybody else feel free to chime in!

wakechik 11-24-2004 9:23 PM

yea. i hear ya. i'm just lookin to ride a lot in the next year or two to b able to keep up with the best.

melanie 11-26-2004 10:42 AM

A good lil' video of you ripping might help. <BR> <BR>Hi Bonnie!

ladyboarder 11-26-2004 4:14 PM

Bonnie pretty much hit the nail on the head. Some of my sponsors have never seen me ride, but they have heard about me from the internet. Be productive on websites such as this one, but don't act stupid, make your posts mean something. If someone asks for a suggestion on something that you know about, give them an in-depth answer. Talk good about companies that you like and they will notice. Also, go to contests in your area and get to know people. Don't put on the "I'm too cool for you" attitude when you are there, talk to anyone, from the 8-yr beginners to the semi-pro guys (or girls). Like Bonnie said, get to know your local reps and shop owners, because that is where sponsorship starts. Oh yeah, when you first get sponsored you probably won't get free stuff thrown at you. If you ride for a shop you will get a sweet discount on goods, a board company may give you a board at or close to dealer cost, same with clothing. Get sponsored by companies that you really like and feel good about promoting. Put their stickers all over your board and tell your friends about them. <BR>Figure out why you should be sponsored, not why you want to be sponsored. Everyone knows why you want to be sponsored, you have to show the company that you can benefit them. I travel a good bit in the summer (and winter some) and am able to promote my sponsors to all of the people that I ride with, some people are responsive, some aren't, but I talk about my sponsors anyway. <BR>Oh yeah, that brought me to another REALLY important thing. Wakeboarding is about fun, nothing turns me off than a sourpuss on the boat. When you are riding, always have a smile on your face, this makes people like you and be much more responsive to you. So you had a crappy ride, make jokes about it and pout later when you are home alone. <BR>If you ever find yourself lost near Mississippi look me up, you are always welcome to come ride. <BR>And now for a shameless plug: These are the awesome companies that have faith in my ability to help them out, so check out what they have to offer.... <BR>Glass and Powder Boardshop <BR>CWB Wakeboards and Friends <BR>Newt Juice Binding Slime <BR>Ten-80 Wakeboard Gear (Featuring Ten-80 LADY! ) <BR>CDI Fins <BR>Mako Industries <BR>Not a sponsor, but Supra Boats has been awesome to me over the years. <BR>Have fun and email if you have any questions... <BR>Later <BR>Tiffany

11-27-2004 3:52 PM

Hey Mel, hey Tiff! Good input ^^^^^^^

got_river 12-01-2004 6:22 PM

KT, <BR> <BR>Everything Tiffany said is right on. <BR> <BR>An additional thought is to ride in your local tournaments...great way to meet people. Your profile says SoCal...we have so many tournaments to get involved in here. Canyon Lake, Spring Valley, Castaic, Wakesports...lots of opportunities. I also recommend heading to Phoenix if you can for the Arizona Wakeboard Club events...their new Prez is a female and rips. <BR> <BR>Josh <BR> <BR>(Message edited by got river? on December 01, 2004)

wakechik 12-05-2004 12:15 PM

thanks for the info. i rode in a tournament at castaic last summer, but yea im lookin to ride in a lot next summer.

09-10-2005 9:07 AM

Our company sponsors riders... <BR> <BR>Here is what we look for <BR>Up and coming talented riders. You dont have to be pro but must compete regularly and have a passion for the sport. Bonnie and Tffinator are right, it is not so much how well you can ride right now, but also how you are going to represent the sport overall. Our cuurent team riders, Barrett Perlman and Jennifer GilanFarr are each at different levels of riding. However both bring a great deal to the table as far as what we are getting in return for the sponsorship. They represent who Sliding Glass is about and what we feel the sport and the industry should be about. <BR> <BR>If you are interestedin submitting a request to be sponsored by SlidingGlass, please send a resume, with pics and a video of your riding as well as how you feel you could represent SG to Heather at shivermedia.com. She is responsible for all sponsorships etc. <BR> <BR>Looking foward to seeing more lady riders out there going large!

09-10-2005 8:08 PM

I'm sponsored by ten-80 with tiffany and she is right i just sent them the normal stuff they asked for but then when i send my reference stuff that helped me out alot, you have to get involved with local shops, tournaments anything, get to know people. You just have to have a good additude about everything and have the wakeboarding bug and people can tell if you have it and just have fun!