WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Need a New Stereo for 2004 Moomba (Something Simple) (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779689)

wakerider017 05-19-2010 1:53 PM

Need a New Stereo for 2004 Moomba (Something Simple)

Right now I have a 6 speaker setup (4 in the back, 2 in the bow), with a Kenwood headunit (KDC-202MR) in the glove box and a remote (KCA-RC50MR) in the captains chair.

CD player doesn't work anymore and the speakers sound like $h*t!

Was wondering if I could keep the faceplate and get a new CD changer?

And also can anyone recommend some good/ reasonably priced marine speakers?

hillbilly 05-19-2010 6:45 PM

You could get a decent deck pretty cheap these days , And I'm thinking about putting some Arc audio in as interior speakers. I have heard good things about them .

stang_killa_ss 05-19-2010 7:38 PM

because of the horrible seat design where it covers up the speakers (i have a 03 LSV)
speaker selection is very difficult. after lots of speaker sets and lots of cussing, and even some dremeling, i found a set that were direct replacements, cheap, and sound killer.
Kicker KM6000s.
that have the grill molded into the body like the factorys, and the beveled edge to be able to squeeze them under the overlaping seat back.

hookedontronics.com and sonicelectronix.com are great places to start if your on a budget.

xstarrider 05-19-2010 9:10 PM

Speakers.................Polk DB651's.......

As for the head unit....I would try and get another Kenwood just to wire up to the existing remote. That would save you the most cash.

mcdye 05-20-2010 5:39 AM

what he said.....Polk DB651's.......easily change out..

suthaforce 05-20-2010 8:14 AM

i have the same set up as Cory in my 05 with 4 aerial bullet tower speakers. Sounds great and reasonably priced.

Also i have the same stock headunit and put the Kenwood ipod interface in last night, you can control your ipod through your stock remote. Only 50 bucks, GOODBYE CDS!!

wakerider017 05-20-2010 9:14 AM

Is that the db651 or db651s you recommend?

stang_killa_ss 05-20-2010 11:54 AM

those polks wont fit in the moomba without dremeling off 1/4 of the outter rim of the grill.
like i said. ive been there........ive even got pics somewhere.
the kickers were the only speaker that would fit unmodified.

wakerider017 05-20-2010 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss (Post 1587579)
those polks wont fit in the moomba without dremeling off 1/4 of the outter rim of the grill.
like i said. ive been there........ive even got pics somewhere.
the kickers were the only speaker that would fit unmodified.

Ya, but I don't have an 03 LSV... I have an 04 Outback...

Like I said 6 speakers in total and they are in wide open areas with lots of room.

Here is the starboard side of the boat:

EDIT: Ya.... I need to clean my boat.. haha

etang789 05-20-2010 12:31 PM

Yea I have done the upgrade to my previous 2004 Moomba LSV.

What I did was, Polk Audio 6.75" speakers I believe its the db651 got them cheap on ebay. added a clarion 4 channel marine amp. changed the headunit to another kenwood something higher end which could keep the existing remote. Also got a pair of fiberglass tower speaker pods that also uses the Polk 6.75" speakers.

You should go to the Moomba forum there are many examples and DIY on how to do this.

stang_killa_ss 05-20-2010 1:51 PM

wow that would be nice! looks like your good to go with speaker choices. wide open flat mount.

o, get yourself some babes seat soap :D

is your dog house fiberglass? thats kinda cool. most of the time they cover them in vinyl. i kinda like that with the shiny gel coat.

wakerider017 05-26-2010 9:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss (Post 1587636)
wow that would be nice! looks like your good to go with speaker choices. wide open flat mount.

o, get yourself some babes seat soap :D

is your dog house fiberglass? thats kinda cool. most of the time they cover them in vinyl. i kinda like that with the shiny gel coat.

Yup, wide open! :) I went and found your pics and man those are some tight spaces!!

I don't know what's up with the vinyl on this boat.. It grows this mold on it that stains it. Its not like I am neglecting it.. We clean it a couple times a month.. This vinyl is just a magnet to this mold.. Happens cover or no cover. (I'm sure the high humidity in Tampa doesn't help, but it is a little ridiculous!)

Ya it's a fiberglass clam shell. Thank god! It doesn't get filthy dirty in a weeks time!

P.S. I installed my HU yesterday and the Polks come today :)