WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   wing trim plate installed with results (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798660)

nailem 06-17-2013 7:05 PM

wing trim plate installed with results

2 Attachment(s)
I installed a winged trim plate on my 05' enzo, here are my results. All port side:
1100lb rear locker, 750lb under bench, two kids and wife driving. Sorry no pics. I didn't go as wild as others have with the wings. 8" by 9.5" out from stern.
11mph wake plate at 25% wave was really flat with little push but very clean hard to surf. 11mph 0% better but still very little push.
10.5mph 0% trim much better but still not as good as stock plate.
The new enzo only has a wilng on the port side. Why? Should I remove the starboard wing or just scrap both? Not sure why my results are not the same as others? Do i need more weight? Everything is hidden now and I like that and this is my normal crew. I know i should be less of a jerk and I would have more friends.

lionel 06-17-2013 11:28 PM

Remove the starboard wing for giggles. My guess is that it has to do with prop rotation?

CarZin 06-18-2013 5:41 AM

Rusty, in my opinion, the plates are pretty much worthless when they are being deflected on your native wave side (the side favored with your particular prop rotation). We do use the plate on the nonnative side, as that is where there appears to be a benefit. I have been confused why centurion would go with a 3/4 plate on the new enzo, to apparently only be used on the native side, since everyone I know runs no plate.

nailem 06-18-2013 6:02 AM

this is where i'm confused also, why the 3/4 on the port side? i was trying to watch how the water was being directed under the plate but it is hard to tell. the more i think about it i may take off the port side wing. This should take away any negative effect of the wing flattening out the wave and keep the starboard wing to knock down the spray.
Carzin does this sound right?

CarZin 06-18-2013 6:57 AM

That's how I would configure it to 'try'. Thats the awesome thing about your setup. You can quickly reconfigure.

zap 06-18-2013 7:10 AM

Going to agree with the forum here, I would say remove your PORT side wing and sack the boat out for a GOOFY rider, it should clean the face of the wave (10% tab).

Sack your boat our for a reg rider and it should be fine as there is no interruption (with the port wing removed)

PS... Thanks for doing this, I was going to make a 1 piece plate with wings (like the FX22"s) and just bolt it to my existing tab. Now that I see your results, it sounds like I should make a one sided wing (starboard) to clean the face of the goofy wave.

Pad1Tai 06-18-2013 7:11 AM

Let me tell you my experience... I installed two lenco plates like the X10 system on my Xstar.. Loaded it up lite with #2000lbs.. Normally we run #2700 to #3000 lbs.. When we deflected the off surf side plate down to lean the boat towards the surf side.. It decreased the wake.. The plate created a water hole where it was deflected down and sucked the wave into it... We reconfigured the system to retract as opposed to extend and had much better results... Your system is the same as the old TAPS system that was designed to reduce the wakes for waterskiing..

zap 06-18-2013 7:29 AM

+1 to what Charlie said,

My previous boat came with a Bennett trim tab to improve the waterski wake (Falcon V), what we learned is with fine agjustments (0-15%) we could manipulate the surf wake (skim vs surf), but if you full deployed it the wave was reduced. The tabs lift the boat, thus reducing the effectivness of your ballast. IMO the tabs are just for cleaning the wake.

Also IMO all boats, regardless of make, religion, or educational background need a minimum of #2000lbs to produce an enjoyable wave.. throw a little ballast behind your drivers seat like dreamer does...

nailem 06-18-2013 8:56 AM

rzap. when i do have more of a crew in the boat i do add about 200-250 on the starboard side and it takes away the second lip caused from the swim deck. but with a lighter crew i leave the starboard side empty.
i was going to do the one piece design but opted for the two piece just because it was easier, now im glad i did.

next question is how will the 3/4 wing affect me while evenly weighted for wakeboarding? we do not wakeboard very often but try to get out a few times a year.

zap 06-18-2013 9:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailem (Post 1828515)
rzap. when i do have more of a crew in the boat i do add about 200-250 on the starboard side and it takes away the second lip caused from the swim deck. but with a lighter crew i leave the starboard side empty.
i was going to do the one piece design but opted for the two piece just because it was easier, now im glad i did.

next question is how will the 3/4 wing affect me while evenly weighted for wakeboarding? we do not wakeboard very often but try to get out a few times a year.

I actually think it will help with the clean up of the starboard side wake especially when pulling riders that prefer slower speeds. we need to you trial this too!

nailem 06-18-2013 10:59 AM

No problem, I keep my boat in the water but i am going to pull it tonight to do some tunning to the rudder ( i just installed a new cable and now it pulls to the right) and remove the port wing. I don't know if i will get much time after that to try it out, my buddy just bought an 07' nautique 236 and we are installing some bags and green impellers and will be tring to dial his in.

nailem 06-25-2013 7:06 PM

I removed the port wing and it was much better than the duel wing but I still think the wave is flatter than before (no wing). even with the trim at 0%. I use to run anywhere from 0-35% trim and 10.5-11.5mph depending on what I was doing and now 0% and 10.5 is the only combo.
I will be scraping the wings.

zap 07-11-2013 1:29 PM

Rusty,

Did you ever try the tab (starboard side only) to clean up the wakeboard wake at low speeds?

I have a 9 year old that we like to pull at about 15mph and we have to throw everything we have in the bow to clean up the starboard wake at that low speed.

if you don't want to bolt the wind back on PM me and I will buy it to try

LKASurfing 07-12-2013 4:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had great results from a port installed plate on our boat that didn't affect any drive!

nailem 07-12-2013 5:11 AM

what did it do to your port wave? what is your set up?