WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video and Photography (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87667)
-   -   SLR for me (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790704)

johnny_defacto 10-28-2011 4:07 PM

SLR for me

SLR gurus i need your help. I searched for cameras but am lost, please point me in a direction. For xmas i am buying us a camera, used mainly for pics of famiky and trips, we have 2 littke ones. I will also use it when i go wakeboarding or camping. My dad has a nikon d series that is very easy to use. I would like to keep it low cost, simple, but have the ability to change lenses and add filters or flashes later down the road. Camera + case i would like to stay under $7-800. Thank you in advance.

RedRum 10-31-2011 7:14 AM

I am new to DSLRs too and did a lot of research on them before I purchased. I had it narrowed down to Nikon and Canon because of brand reputation. I bought a Nikon D5000 off of a guy on eBay. I. He sold it as used since it was out of the box, but he never used it. Came with a camera body, bag, 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens, memory card, and instructional DVDs and books for SLR cameras. I paid $550 for it...a really good deal as far as I am concerned. I absolutely love the camera and would recommend it to anyone just starting out.

SangerTom 12-01-2011 1:15 PM

Johnny - just got into photog. I got a Canon T1i. Believe they are up to T3 now. From what I understand, Canon has a better selection of lenses at better price points than Nikon. I like the camera but there is a steep learning curve.

12-01-2011 6:59 PM

I was in the same boat and did a ton of research as I knew little about cameras. We also wanted 1080p HD video (true video without the constant auto focus). We bought a Sony NEX-5. At the time, it was the only camera that acted as both an SLR and that had the video capability we wanted. We paid 1000 bucks last year sure they are cheaper now and have been happy with the product. Only issue we've had is the 1000 bucks we had to pay for the zoom lens...

I don't think it would be as sturdy either as a larger SLR.

It's not a professional level SLR and won't compete with a Canon T3i or Nikon D-series but is small, has the true HD, and is much cheaper than say, a Nikon D7000.

empire_wake 12-01-2011 9:39 PM

Canon XTi for sale

Hey Johnny I am selling my Canon XTi for $400 with strap, 2 batteries, and a vertical grip. This camera has been amazing with 10.1 megapixels, fast load time and shutter speed. It is all you need for what you want. I have 2 other cameras now and no longer have a use for this one.

If you are interested please email me at EmpireWake@gmail.com

Thanks, hope I can help out.

Rob

luke22885 12-06-2011 9:49 AM

I was looking for my first one last year at this time, did a ton of research and ended up getting the Nikon D3100 with 2 lenses 18-55 and 55-200 and a bag for i believe $799. One of the best things I ever bought. The camera is very beginner friendly, takes awesome pictures for what I use it for and 14.2 megapixel. Seems to be very well made and if I would have to do it all over again I would get the 3100 without even thinking about it. I dont take many videos but when I do the camera has 1080 video as well so takes great videos.

asdfgboy 12-17-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

I paid $550 for it
That's good deal bro! $550 is not bad