WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How many days in a row can you ride? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782555)

kyle_L 08-10-2010 7:02 AM

How many days in a row can you ride?

Yesterday was day 8 for me (8 cable and 3 boat sessions post cable) and I don't think I can make it today. I want to go, but im limping around the house like a grandpa (I'm 25), back to wearing my knee brace, with a bottle of alleve in my pocket and at the same time, don't care. My only excuse today is that I broke off half of my fin yesterday and don't have a replacement lol. So if i make it today, I think 9 days will a record for me if i go today including when I used to ride in my "prime".

PS if anyone is thinking about a Watson Hybrid for cable, BUY IT. It really doesn't have too much flex and I think has been taking a lot of stress off of my knees just because it has a little more than a normal board, and the grind base is sick. Dry sliders are a big problem in the Florida heat and wetting them down every other lap is not my idea of fun. So far, I've only had to wet them down once, and even when they get relatively dry, it slides fine. And the fins they use really have impressed me. I've never not broken a fin after hitting rails 8 days in a row.

hawkeye7708 08-10-2010 7:15 AM

Wow... i've done 4 days straight of 2-3 boat sessions... and towards the end there, I was a hurtin' unit.

jarrod 08-10-2010 7:22 AM

I've done 7 days in a row on a houseboat.

theanimal 08-10-2010 7:39 AM

I wish I could find out just how many days in a row I can take but unfortunatley I can only get out on the water 1 time a week and thats if im lucky. :(

You guys are so lucky to be close to the water and a cable park.

stuey 08-10-2010 9:38 AM

I would go literally every day if I could. I find if I DONT ride as much, it hurts your body that much more when you do finally make it out. Riding 5 days in a row is pretty common for me.. short season so try and get out 4-6 times a week right now. Launched at 7:15pm last night ... haha.

drewproses 08-10-2010 10:09 AM

Last year me and Dickey rode something like 20 days straight before cable nationals.

wakeboardern1 08-10-2010 12:27 PM

I think the most that I've done was around 13-14 days in a row shortly after we got our new boat (this summer). i'd get up in the morning and immediately start bugging everyone in my family until someone agreed to pull me, haha. but then I started getting tied up with other stuff and it was killing my time to ride, so I started missing days. Then my bindings blew up and I've been riding 2, maybe 3 times a week. :/ The goal was to ride every day this summer, but that is failing miserably, hahaha.

scotthons 08-10-2010 1:20 PM

I wish I could ride more often, but living in NM and having the boat stored 3 hrs away only allows the weekend. My parents live 5 minutes from a river in CA and my Pops (55 years old) made sure to rub in the fact that he just got 16 days straight of riding.

hco 08-10-2010 2:29 PM

every day till i die.

ross009 08-10-2010 3:49 PM

mines pretty high prob 30 or so days in a row i live 2 miles from my local cable which i hold a season pass for :D

kyle_L 08-10-2010 4:07 PM

Yeah Drew that is insane...I think I have one more day in me but my knee is pretty mad after going for that nuc glide after riding for 3 hours, but hey, someone has to go big off that kicker hahaha. Fun little shred today, definitely getting you a sticker made that says "King of the Cable". I've probably only seen 10 switch bs 5s at all the cables combined in all the years of riding cable. I'll be really impressed if you can do it with the wooden baseball bat handle though. That handle is like the version of those weird shoes that are supposed to workout your legs combined with a late night computer sesh forearm workout.

Ross, what cable and how many boards did you break lol? I used to always have a Rixen pass but you couldn't get near the place on the weekends.

ross009 08-10-2010 4:20 PM

a cable in the midlands in the uk still on the same board a 2010 ps3 3rd set of bindings though :( some days i'll just jump on for a half hour or something if im getting close to something new etc and wanna try it otherdays i'll do like 5 hours lol

wakeboardertj 08-10-2010 4:26 PM

I think it was 11 straight days for me, then I started getting real bad tennis elbow and had to get a couple days rest. Anybody else have problems with tennis elbow?

cwb4me 08-10-2010 8:13 PM

if i can get out the bed and walk down steps with only some pain i'm good to go but 9 days in a row was all my vacation.i'll try and do better next year.

joeshmoe 08-10-2010 8:16 PM

I sure would like to find out, but I think on the seventh day I would rest

hyperlite 08-11-2010 3:32 AM

i usually try and get out once a day, but when im on break i feel you. I just cant keep up like that. hahaha

ncsuuh 08-11-2010 5:12 AM

I work on the lake. I look at the boat everyday. Right now it is glass. The last time I rode was last week in California. I haven't ridden on my home lake or my boat in 3 weeks. Pretty bad huh? The last time I did ride on my home lake I rode for 3 days with two days of multiple sets twice a day.

bmartin 08-11-2010 7:39 AM

I must be an old frail man. Live on the lake and have the opportunity to ride more than my body is capable. Max consecutive days is around 7, but after 2 or 3 days in a row, my body wants a break and usually have too many of lifes other things to do anyway.

unclejessie 08-11-2010 7:50 AM

This is too subjective. If you are behind the boat pushing yourslef each set, you are probably going to wreck a few times, which will put those 7 + days straight of riding into question. I could ride every day if all I did was w2w and 180s, but that isn't what I do. Riding my bag of tricks + some solid work sessions mixed in, I am good for about 3 days staright. After that I can't focus anymore, my hands are usually raw and I could use a few days off!

-Uj

cadunkle 08-11-2010 9:26 AM

You guys are lucky to be able to ride any amount of days in a row. I've had a few rare chances to ride two days in a row but normally it's once a month if I'm lucky. No crew or I'd be out every weekend and put in a few days during the week after work.

rmcronin 08-11-2010 5:22 PM

I've been going for about a month straight now with a set on the slalom course + wake set and some barefooting thrown in. Only one sport a day feels like a break. What a summer of beautiful weather in the northeast!

kyle_L 08-11-2010 5:31 PM

Uncle Jessie, i meant full sessions. They were all on the cable with 3 days of cable then boat but all sessions where the knee brace needs to go on. I'm officially ending my streak today at 9. Went to odub, first lap charged big white and just did my knee in. Not to the point that I can't ride but to the point that if i ride anymore today i could put myself out for a couple of weeks. I waited about an hour, stretched took another lap and had to call it quits, Best move i've made in a while because i was actually able to walk up the stairs of my apartment not in pain. When I was 20 I could seriously hit that kicker all day taking full raley cuts into and just bomb with no concern about the landing. Now at 25, I will still take as hard of an edge into it as possible but I fear the landing. So i just sat there all day watching everyone shred and there might have been two kids who hit the kicker, very disappointed with our youth. The new wedge style kicker at owc has been deemed the "knee breaker" which just makes me smile because the true knee breaker is only 200 feet down the water lol. This was a special circumstance for me though. We ended up with a random week and a half vacation (and we don't get vacations) and I had to make each day count because i definitely won't get the opportunity to get to the park right when it opens again for a long long time. Work starts back tomorrow. We will see if i have the energy to make it to the cable afterwards....

Taylor, my buddy has a pretty bad case of it right now from riding the boat, It happens to most of us and is definitely nagging but goes away in a week or so.

cwb4me 08-11-2010 8:14 PM

uncle jessie i think i may be older than you i have ridden every day this week on my vacation which is up to 5 days so far .i do more than wake to wake' i take some bad crashes.the real question is do you go big . i normally ride at 70 foot on stock wake and go 85ft with weight.i rode behind a san tonight for the first time. i thought the wake was awesome. with some more time on that wake i could expand my bag of tricks. i think what you are saying is if you go for it and try new tricks and push yourself its hard to go too many days in a row.i agree totally thats why i go back and forth from stock to weighted. i'm going for 9 days in a row again but i can tell it won't be easy.

kko13 08-12-2010 9:30 AM

Come on Robert do it for the old guys!

superair502 08-12-2010 4:28 PM

I have ridden just about every single day this summer save when it's raining. I have def hit 14+ days in a row a few times. Just got my first boat tho got to enjoy it!! So far I have put 140 hours on it since may when I got it. Not to mention riding at wakenation and friends boats.

cwb4me 08-12-2010 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kko13 (Post 1621074)
Come on Robert do it for the old guys!

:Dwell kevin 3 more sets today the knees are definitly feeling it . showers killed a evening set,but it's supposed to be clear in the morning.i may put some weight in the boat to help get my backside 360 dialed in . i want to be more consistent on that trick.then i'll move on to my backroll. wish me luck and send some advil.LOL:D

andy_nintzel 08-12-2010 5:08 PM

Well Not as much as I want to any more, I get out about 4-5 days a weeks still, back in the mid 2000's I was riding every single day. My longest run was in 2005 I managed 61 days in a row. I kept track that year of how many days I got to ride on a clipboard in my garage. Granted after about 20 days in a row I decided I was going to ride every single day it became a challenge. There were a few days where quite honestly I just got up behind the boat for a few minutes and quit just to say I rode another day. Ahhhh the lake life in Minnesota.

unclejessie 08-13-2010 7:19 AM

I can honestly say I haven't even had the opportunity to ride more than four days in a row since I did a week long houseboat trip back in 2001! I wish I had the chance, just to see if I could do it at 41.

My buddies and I all talk about how nice it would be to have the opportunity to ride whenever we like and not feel llike you need to work your bag of tricks now because the next set might be two weeks away. I feel pretty fortunate getting two days, 4 to 5 sets a week.

-Uj

BCPMike0663 08-13-2010 8:27 AM

Know what I think is crazy is I don't even ride really anymore. I have gone like three times in the last six weeks and they have all been at 6 in the morning. (maybe six times total in the last four months) And I still can do my mobes. I am a little rusty spinning toeside but I still can ride halfway decent. I can't wait for another three weeks then I will be able to get back on the lake and ride a couple times a week.

cwb4me 08-13-2010 7:21 PM

okay kevin i got in 2 more sets today before the rain came. didn't have time to weight the boat but i did land the backside 360 one more time. i'm getting more consistent on that. this makes day #7 and i believe i can make it to 9 again . i just turned 51 yesterday and i'm feeling it.i think i have the drive to finish the 9 days of riding in a row.wish me luck and send me some new knees while your at it.LOL

ridetillurdead26 08-15-2010 9:25 AM

I love riding days in a row, that is always when I learn the most tricks and the rest of my tricks get more style. My record is 16 days in a row, and on the 17th day I slept for 14 hours... I was a bit tired to say the least!

cheesydog 08-15-2010 2:07 PM

i think my record is 21 days, but even then I normally only ever take maximum 2 days off riding unless im travelling.(which is a lot) Theres good and bad points to it, the good is you get really consistent with your tricks, the bad is it kinda discourages new stuff in a way. I find I ride best after a short break, maybe 3-4 days. It recharges your muscles but more importantly your imagination and desire for new tricks.

cwb4me 08-15-2010 7:00 PM

mark i agree with the rest. even when you are young you still need the rest,it makes you sharper and more energetic.i sadly didn't make my goal of 9 days . i only did 8. when i got up sunday the wind was blowing hard very cloudy too. so i pulled the boat out of the water got it wiped down and covered and it started pouring.so i can blame it on the weather. truth be known i needed the rest i ache all over. but i'll be ready for the weekend. HAPPY BOARDING EVERYONE!

cwb4me 08-17-2010 3:14 PM

bump