WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Remember that time Aaron Rathy did this... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792836)

Luker 04-17-2012 9:45 AM

Remember that time Aaron Rathy did this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245G-...eature=related

Still IMO the raddest 0:34 seconds in wakeboarding. You can double invert and mobe 7 all you want... but forever in my mind this trick will be the **** :D

juniorhawk 04-17-2012 10:45 AM

Yup!
Seconded.
In my mind this is the craziest thing ever done on a wakeboard.
Incredibly technical. It's HIGH. It's clean. It's extreeeemely advanced.
Best trick ever done as far as I'm concerned.

sippi 04-17-2012 10:52 AM

that is awesome, i also think his osmosis 5 that is grabbed the entire way through in this video is sickkkk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDJMq...endscreen&NR=1

04-17-2012 11:12 AM

Yeah, it's too bad he got hurt. He had a one year run where he was basically just riding at a level no one had ever seen before. Then injury, slow recovery and Harley Clifford steps up big time. Such is the life of wakeboarder...

juniorhawk 04-17-2012 11:36 AM

Jeesh you make it sound like he's done for. I've seen some great edits of Rathy lately.
:(

jaybee 04-17-2012 11:43 AM

I would say Rathy's career is far from over. Wasn't he a team captain at wake games?

501s 04-17-2012 11:44 AM

I agree, one of the craziest tricks on a wakeboard, period. I wonder if he ever landed it again?

hawkeye7708 04-17-2012 3:45 PM

Yup.... that was absolutely nutty.

TheHebrewHammer 04-17-2012 4:36 PM

Rathy has lost his place on the throne and it's unlikely that he'll be able to regain it, but who cares? The dude still kills it!

juniorhawk 04-17-2012 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juniorhawk (Post 1745155)
Yup!
Seconded.
In my mind this is the craziest thing ever done on a wakeboard.
Incredibly technical. It's HIGH. It's clean. It's extreeeemely advanced.
Best trick ever done as far as I'm concerned.

I should say, this is the craziest thing I've ever seen a single athlete do on a wakeboard, and I am old. I come from the days when I'd watch Greg Nelson in Gravity Sucks and ride the next day in jeans and a backwards hat, ollie180'ing my neighbors wharf.

The craziest thing I've ever seen done in wake is the opening to the DVD Rewritten. Where they had 8 or so boats lined up, had a 9th pass in front with about 7000lbs of ballast in it setting up an 8-person double-up boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom session, which I swear I had everyone who set foot in my house watch for about a 6 month period. I still can't believe how awesome and audacious that was. And they filmed it so well, and it came out so awesome.

Back to Rathy, same thing - awesome and audacious. Some tricks that you see the top guys doing I can at least fathom doing (in my head) or at least imagined. Double rolls, 10's,12s. But even as a "wrap trick" kind of rider, I would have never, never, never imagined that a 3-variant 1080 would even be possible. Never entered my mind even as a passing thought in my 17 years of wakeboarding. If I tried that I swear I would decapitate myself. I would decapa my tate on the first try with my luck.

I am pretty sure Rathy was part of that Rewritten sequence too (!)

jrich 04-17-2012 5:40 PM

Yea that has got to be my favorite trick I've ever seen done. Super super clean........like a BOSS!

captain_vilfo 04-17-2012 5:51 PM

that was also the day I got my first boner

VinnyA 04-18-2012 6:13 AM

just looks inhuman hahaha i can't stop watching it

the_fish 04-18-2012 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juniorhawk (Post 1745279)
I should say, this is the craziest thing I've ever seen a single athlete do on a wakeboard, and I am old. I come from the days when I'd watch Greg Nelson in Gravity Sucks and ride the next day in jeans and a backwards hat, ollie180'ing my neighbors wharf.

The craziest thing I've ever seen done in wake is the opening to the DVD Rewritten. Where they had 8 or so boats lined up, had a 9th pass in front with about 7000lbs of ballast in it setting up an 8-person double-up boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom session, which I swear I had everyone who set foot in my house watch for about a 6 month period. I still can't believe how awesome and audacious that was. And they filmed it so well, and it came out so awesome.

Back to Rathy, same thing - awesome and audacious. Some tricks that you see the top guys doing I can at least fathom doing (in my head) or at least imagined. Double rolls, 10's,12s. But even as a "wrap trick" kind of rider, I would have never, never, never imagined that a 3-variant 1080 would even be possible. Never entered my mind even as a passing thought in my 17 years of wakeboarding. If I tried that I swear I would decapitate myself. I would decapa my tate on the first try with my luck.

I am pretty sure Rathy was part of that Rewritten sequence too (!)

I don't think he was in that one b/c Rewritten was a Hyperlite video and Rathy was with Byerly already

hyperlite_boards 04-18-2012 6:28 AM

Jonny is right, i think he left a year or two before

kyle_L 04-18-2012 8:32 AM

makes me miss seeing the crazy things Harf would come out with on a pretty regular basis. Parks->Harf->Rathy->Harley...who's next?

the_fish 04-18-2012 9:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle_L (Post 1745404)
makes me miss seeing the crazy things Harf would come out with on a pretty regular basis. Parks->Harf->Rathy->Harley...who's next?

Possibly this kid in a few years. Ben was 9 when this was shot and he has won worlds for his age group since then. His section is at 11:45
http://vimeo.com/10528911

Luker 04-18-2012 1:03 PM

If I remember correctly; Rathy filmed an entire part for Rewritten but it was totally removed from the movie when he bailed on Hype. You can still catch a glimpse or two of him in a few lifestyle sections.

skiboarder 04-18-2012 1:06 PM

I don't think he bailed. It was more like an intra-office transfer.

mckenna 04-18-2012 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luker (Post 1745491)
If I remember correctly; Rathy filmed an entire part for Rewritten but it was totally removed from the movie when he bailed on Hype. You can still catch a glimpse or two of him in a few lifestyle sections.

thats super lame if true.... byerly and hype are the same thing... surely he could be included in the movie still.