WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What's more responsive? The RAD or the Shredtown? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801191)

dvsone79 02-19-2014 8:10 AM

What's more responsive? The RAD or the Shredtown?

I'm looking at Slingshot bindings. I'm coming from a Ronix One and a LF Watson open-toe before that. I liked the responsive feel of the Ones being closed-toe, but they weren't as stiff all-around as the open-toe Watsons. So I liked the Watsons a little better. I am leaning toward a closed toe Watson, but found a good deal on some Slingshot bindings. Anyone ridden the RADs and/or the Shredtowns? I like a pretty stiff, responsive boot.

Thanks!

dezul 02-19-2014 8:58 AM

Both should work fine for what you are looking for. I personally like the RADs. I think the lace system allows for a tighter fit without the arm strength required to tighten down the velcro. The Shredtowns are easier to get in and out of since they are velcro.

boardjnky4 02-19-2014 9:15 AM

Shredtowns are more of a cable park board, which means they are probably LESS stiff, and therefore, LESS responsive. The RAD is the way to go for a stiffer more responsive boot.

IMO though, I'd also look at some Ronix boots. The Code 55 and One boots are stiff and responsive.

dvsone79 02-19-2014 9:40 AM

Tried the Ronix Ones, as I stated above. They were comfy, but lacked in overall support compared to the LF Watsons. Still leaning towards a closed-toe Watson, but wanted some input from folks who've ridden some of the Slingshot boots. I like how they're made in the USA. At least their boards are. Anyone know if this is true for their bindings as well? I should also add that they will be used on a new to me '13 Recoil 146.

wakemitch 02-19-2014 9:58 PM

The RADs are one of the most responsive boots out there. They are even stiffer than the Ronix Code 55s which is their stiffest boot. Ronix and Slingshot make the most comfortable boots in my opinion.
The Shredtowns are lower cut and are softer. They remind me of the Ronix Parks boots in terms of support.

dvsone79 02-20-2014 8:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakemitch (Post 1865434)
The RADs are one of the most responsive boots out there. They are even stiffer than the Ronix Code 55s which is their stiffest boot. Ronix and Slingshot make the most comfortable boots in my opinion.
The Shredtowns are lower cut and are softer. They remind me of the Ronix Parks boots in terms of support.

Good info. Thanks Mitch.

jonblarc7 02-20-2014 11:54 AM

Got to ask you guys with RAD's do the lower part of your laces adjust? The lower part of my right boot is very tight and won't loosen any. The lower part just seems to be tied to gather in a loop so there's no way to loosen it unless I cut the laces. Which I'm about to do because every time I pull my foot out of them it pull the inner liner out.

Their 2012 Rad's

wakerider111 02-23-2014 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonblarc7 (Post 1865483)
Got to ask you guys with RAD's do the lower part of your laces adjust? The lower part of my right boot is very tight and won't loosen any. The lower part just seems to be tied to gather in a loop so there's no way to loosen it unless I cut the laces. Which I'm about to do because every time I pull my foot out of them it pull the inner liner out.

Their 2012 Rad's

I have the 2011 RAD boots, but with liners and laces from 2012 RADS which makes them essentially 2012 rad boots.

anyway... i believe that the lower lace of your boot must be tightly pulled into the teeth of the hardware on the side of the boot that holds the laces locked. If I have assumed right, you will need to pull the lace downward and in the direction of the toe of the boot to unlock the lace. you should be able to loosen the laces with one finger if they are truly unlocked from the teeth.

on some falls the laces can get TIGHTLY jammed in those teeth lock things.

I made a ridiculously in-depth 2 part video about the RADs when they came out. you may find something useful if you can bare watching it all. but for the laces you can jump to 6:15 on the video below (the video is just the plain 2011 rads and not my current ones patched with 2012 parts)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M8YC8dxowh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wakerider111 02-23-2014 4:10 PM

p.s. not affiliated with slingshot, just really love and respect their stuff ;)

jonblarc7 02-23-2014 6:30 PM

Thanks man thats just what I need to see. I love the boots just could figure out how the laces work.