WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Centurion Avalanche... help.. (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789804)

brycejb328 08-24-2011 4:18 PM

Centurion Avalanche... help..

Yo,

I might be working a deal with a guy on a 2004 centurion avalanche "storm II series"

Can anyone tell me what "storm II" means on this boat (ballast package, options??)

Everything I find about the boat is older threads, and wanna know any current info on how the wake is? I know the seller said it does have factory ballast, but he was rather un-sure on how much.

This does have the walk through transon.. any thoughts on that??

Checking with seller if it has trim tab (if its electric or manual) or the switch blade.

ANY info about this boat would be greatly appreciated.

polarbill 08-24-2011 4:22 PM

I think it means it has front and rear ballast, tower, PP, graphics, board racks and maybe a coupel other things.

That is before the switchblade. Also, storm 2 may have come with a trim tab but then again it could be part of storm 3.

brycejb328 08-24-2011 4:25 PM

^^sadly, the seller said the boat doesnt have perfect pass. Maybe storm III is perfect pass? I know nothing about centurion!

polarbill 08-24-2011 4:36 PM

Just found what is in each package.

Storm 1
Tower, Center Ballast, Storm Gelcoat, Batwing Storm Decals

Storm 2
Dual Rear Ballast, Custom Stereo System, 2 Centurion Board Racks, 2nd Battery w/ Isolator

Storm 3
Dual Rear Ballast, Custom Stereo System, 2 Centurion Board Racks, 2nd Battery w/ Isolator
Bennett Trim Tab and Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro

gnarslayer 08-24-2011 4:44 PM

the avalanches throw monster wakes stock i love them

brycejb328 08-25-2011 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnarslayer (Post 1704056)
the avalanches throw monster wakes stock i love them

^^ sounds like you've rode one!! i've heard some mixed reviews, sounds like you definantly need to compensate for prop rotation on this boat more than normal with extra ballast?? I fear getting a boat that is washy at 85 feet, not that I ride that far back... but some people i ride with do!!

jeff_mn 08-25-2011 5:41 AM

If it's washed at 85, throw more weight at it and speed it up. Seth can handle 27mph

sailing216 08-25-2011 7:12 AM

I have an Avy with storm 3. Have blade but only run half the time with it. Blade shapes and can make the wake verticle, without blade the wake still has very good pop, not mellow like different boats I ride

You can add an auto trim tab off CentCrew fairly cheap and easy (if no blade it'll be adjustible but still pointless for boarding). Does nothing really for wakeboarding, cleans up spray surfing. Avy has a great stock ballast wake, wide, but is very tempermental to weight placement (blade helps or moving people does too). Some Avys, usually a C4 non-walkthrough would wash the wake on one side. You would need to add more ballast or another battery, or about 100lbs of lead under the passenger seat to correct. Note this and make this change if you notice it on the test drive. My walkthrough has never had this problem as no seats there it's lighter already on that side.

75' back clean, stock ballast, just before the wash the slowest I can go is about 22.7mph. Speed up if you are going out farther and if we throw a 750lb sac on the floor in the middle it gets fun. Farthest we rode back is 80' at upper 24s clean.

Walkthrough saves the interior wear. I'm a surfer so don't like sacs not under the seats if riding goofy. If a big crew I have a cooler with a stock looking cushion on it for psudo wraparound seating. The other boat owners like my walkthrough, I'm ho hum about it. The boat will have most likely a 350 mag merc in it and might need a new prop for extra ballast or elevation. Whatever options it's missing, Centurion already ran the wires back to the engine which is nice to tap into (PP, Shower, Heater, Trimtab). Snap out carpet is awesome.

brycejb328 08-25-2011 3:52 PM

^^ Great info, thanks.

So is the wake tempermental to the point where you have to be moving stuff around constantly and it changes every time someone takes a set...? or is it more.. move stuff around and get it dialed... then your good (of course someone moving over a little bit here and there is no biggy). I know I have seen on some nautiques where you cut out and the boat leans a little bit, washes out the wake and you make your cut at the wake and it still washy by the time you get to the wake

I am a little indifferent to the transom walk through... I know I LOVE the platform thing supra does when you flip up the cushion and there is just a platform to step onto.

tonyv420 08-25-2011 4:59 PM

I love mine, only thing I'd change if I could, is get the C-4 the walkthru transom makes it a bit more difficult to sac out for surfing

gnarslayer 08-25-2011 5:16 PM

me and my friend kurt riding an avalanche with stock ballast

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gnY8JBxBuxI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gnY8JBxBuxI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

80 ft at 23.5mph

bass10after 08-26-2011 4:20 PM

that video is sick!

getssum 08-26-2011 4:44 PM

Agreed! Great vid!

jayson_49 08-26-2011 9:08 PM

Nice video! sucks that centurions get such a bad rap sometimes...but I love my Avy!

rukie 08-27-2011 3:38 PM

I have an 05 C4, overall pretty happy with it. You will need an extra 150 lbs or so under observer seat to clean wake ( if all else is equal). As said above, 22.7 is the magic number for a clean wake at 75'. You will not get a clean wake slower than that with any rope lenght/weight combinations. Sucks for beginners, non issue if you ride 23+. IMO, the walk through is fugly/useless. Wish you were in Cali, I would get you out for a set.

brycejb328 08-28-2011 5:41 PM

So the general consesnus.... surf wave is bomb.com and wake board wake is also nice above 23 mph with some extra weight port side.

Which for me 23 mph is "my speed" and my whole crew rides 23 or above and if there is a newb.... will... they"ll likely be riding without weight until they can feel comfortbale at 23 mph

so.. anything else I should eye up when I test this rig...? has super low hours... 190 if i remember right. The guy has owned it for 3 years and bought it with only like 70 hours.

jeff_mn 08-29-2011 7:09 AM

how is the wake at 27mph, 5k lbs in ballast and 87.5' where I ride?

brycejb328 08-29-2011 7:28 AM

^^ lol

09-09-2011 12:14 AM

Did I see a big worm in that video? Or was it a diesel? I thought I saw one of those. That trick always reminds me of Todd brendel R.I.P.

bmartin 09-12-2011 5:21 PM

Wake is touchy but you can get it dialed in with tips mentioned, but some times it is a hassle to get everyone seated just right and stay there For speed it really depends on how much weight you have and there is only a magic speed for that particular magic weight. More weight means you got to faster to clean it up. No weight you can get a clean wake at 19MPH. With 2000+ got to moving around 24+ to clean it up.

Surf is good on starboard and great on port.

I wish I had walkthough to stern. I have owned 2 cents and have no regrets.

04avyboarder 05-21-2012 4:59 PM

Wake looks pretty steep for a stock avy... Are you guys running a switchblade? Also what is the factory ballast?

xstarrider 05-22-2012 6:42 AM

I miss the ride and the wake from my 2 Cyclones and a 2 Avys.

The wakes are right in between the old 210 and Xstar 1.0 (205v/X1) It's soupy poppy and crisp. Due to their deep V hulls they tend to be a bit sensitive to weight placement.....You just have to pay attention and mind where people sit. Like others have said if you ride with a smaller crew you will want more weight on port side to balance the boat. The Avy was by far my favorite wake of all time out of all the boats I have owned including my current. WE just lost our dealership network here so I had to jump ship otherwise I would still own one for sure. Great wakes

As far as the walk thru, some people love them some people hate them. Most who love the walk thru are beginner to intermediate riders that ride stock or just a bit over stock weight. Guys dropping extra sacs as well as big surfers will want the non walk thru to hide ballast. On a side note before you think you will be dropping 4 k in that boat in ballast take pull stock with 350-450 in the nose at 23mph. IT will surprise you. The any stock with that extra weight in the nose not far off from my XStar 1.0 with 2500lbs in it. ITs meaty