WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trick Tips (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3184)
-   -   perfecting my w2w (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315463)

04-10-2006 1:23 AM

I'm aware of all the elements of a good w2w jump...smooth progressive edge, handle in and at hips, edge all the way through the wake, extend legs. I have a great progressive edge, but my problem is extending my legs WHILE staying on edge. Some jumps my timing is perfect and I get that smooth pop that delivers height and distance(and a clean stalefish), but other jumps I'm lacking the height and I notice when I land I'm on a a strong heelside edge out into the flats. And since we all know how you take off is how you land, my problem is I'm leaning back too far. I'm sorta confused because traditionally the progressive edge means that the hardest part of your cut should be right before you hit the wake to keep the line taught. but in my case would it make since to let off a little bit to focus on getting my hips out in front of me? What do you guys focus on right before you hit the wake? <BR>

dan_forrest 04-12-2006 8:49 PM

What type of rocker does your board have? Cont. or 3 stage. I have noticed a difference between the two boards. I switched to a three stage and my w2w jumps are not as consistent as they should be. I have has the same problem you described when you land on a strong heelside edge in the flats. I found that each time I landed that way, I was putting too much pressure on my back foot during take off, and not standing tall at the wake(pressure on both feet). You said, "in my case would it make since to let off a little bit to focus on getting my hips out in front of me". I have found that if my hips are not infront of me during my progressive edge, its alot harder to compensate when I get to the wake. Try to edge into the wake, with your hips forward, handle at hips, and stand tall at the peak of the wake. Change nothing else. You will get it! I'm still working on mine

blake_hughes 04-13-2006 8:38 AM

Don't let off your edge, until you land. If you let off, you lose momentumn, which is what carries you W2W. <BR> <BR>Don't over exaggerate the extending of the legs... Simply stand tall, at the wake. Standing tall, or extending your knees, keeps your knees from absorbing the pop... If they're locked out, they won't absorb anything, which will boost you higher. <BR> <BR>Also, try staying balanced 50/50 on your board. You'd be surprised at how much the little things matter... At least they do in my case. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps. <BR> <BR>-Blake

04-13-2006 10:30 AM

DC I'm ridin a subtle 3-stage (Hyperlite State)the design team made it about as close to a continuous feel as you can get while still being a 3 stage. Now that I think about it, I never thought about focusing my weight distribution over both feet...that might solve my problem in its entirety. <BR>

blake_hughes 04-13-2006 11:42 AM

It's a little thing that A LOT of people overlook. Give it a try, I bet it works. Also, just be sure not to let up on your edge... It's a bad habit to break. <BR> <BR>-Blake

dan_forrest 04-13-2006 12:36 PM

Give it a shot and keep us posted. Good luck