WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Do I really need a head unit for my iPhone? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781093)

Bakes 06-28-2010 6:05 PM

Do I really need a head unit for my iPhone?

I have an OK head unit in my boat but it does not have integrated iPod controls. All I ever really listen to is iPod anyways (no radio, who cares about CD's). Can I just plug my iPhone into my amps and be done with it? What would be perfect is if I could plug it in, leave it in the glove box and then and then control it remotely via some other interface.

Anybody have any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks

Bakes

882001 06-28-2010 6:29 PM

i havent ran across a head unit thats easy. if you have playlists made than yes you could skip a song, but for scroling thru 5000+ songs no.

uofamox 06-28-2010 6:43 PM

I just run my iphone into my wetsounds ws420 equalizer. Couldn't be happier.

iridelow1998 06-28-2010 8:36 PM

I use the rca inputs on the back of my head unit. I like you could give 2 squats about radio or cds so my head unit is essentially a rca donor. As far as another interface to control it, I haven't found anything do-able. I just take some time before hitting the water and make some killer playlists plug it in and let it ride.

grant_west 06-28-2010 8:37 PM

I agree with MOX IMO there is NO head unit that works as good as a I pod in your hand. All you need is somthing Like a Alpine KCA 420a and a Re-volt for the I phone. It will give you a way to charge and play Audio and Video threw your I phone/ I pod It will give you a RCA out and you can go into a EQ

detonate69 06-28-2010 10:15 PM

I just use a PAC audio ipod adapter straight into my Zapco eq. been running like this for years. Couldn't stand using a H/U in my boat.

alans 06-29-2010 4:14 AM

Yep, no need for a HU. Run straight to an EQ.

brian_b 06-29-2010 10:29 AM

IMO, the 3.5mm that you have to use to connect ipod to ws420 does not sound near good as the ipod connection on my alpine HU. Is this fair assessment, or is there a better method of connection? And it doesn't charge with the 3.5mm of course.

Oh, I use an RCA to ipod line right into the 420 i reckon?

sidekicknicholas 06-29-2010 10:38 AM

If you only have 1 amp you could run 3.5mm to RCA into the amp and do it all, easy easy.

I would honestly go to Wal-mart... they sell a headunit that is like $50 and has USB/mini/SD/Cd/ETC ... just plug into that guy and you're golden (charges and plays) and its cheap. My friend has one in his truck and it seriously awesome.

ord27 06-29-2010 10:46 AM

I have ipod hook ups to my clarion head unit on the boat, but they (2 of them) don't fit the iphone. Do yall know if there is an adapter? sorry to hijack

venom93corba 06-29-2010 11:28 AM

Yeah I just plug into my wetsounds 420 eq (3.5 audio jack cable) that under my steering wheel. Its perfect. I had a aux connector in my glove box but it sucked going back and forth all the time.

uofamox 06-29-2010 12:15 PM

Belowi is a link to the adapter i use for my iphone 4 (just upgraded last week to it) adapter works with 3g and 3gs models as well. This charges your phone and uses the thirty pin connection at the bottom of the phone. I run the RCAs into my ws420 eq. I have the 3.5 mm input for all those not iphone users if i let them pay some tunes. I also have been using my 3.5mm output of my eq and running into my buddys Malibu 247 with a pair of NVS on the tower. Its a great way to compare the NVS vs the Wetsounds (2 485s on my tower). Both speakers are great products and both Tim / Duane are great at backing their products.

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPhone-3G-Car-Ra...item5ada828270

brycejb328 06-29-2010 12:36 PM

not to hijack... maybe to just elaborate on the subject. I have the 3.5 mm jack coming out of my eq... the only time i get sound is if i have my head unit on. ALL speakers are amped... so most likely i need to power up the amps by another means than the remote wire on the head unit?? then i should get sound without head unit on and be able to run on my auxilary option on EQ (i.e. ipod/phone) and all should be golden... right... or am i missing something.

colombiansurfer 06-29-2010 1:18 PM

Bryce, I had to do the same thing, but I installed a toggle switch so when I hit the switch, it powers up the amps. No need for a head unit to be on then.

ord27 06-29-2010 2:11 PM

this is what I was asking...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142IFWA...RT.html?tp=122

camassanger 06-29-2010 2:39 PM

Sony CDx-m60ui is awesome. Can use the hu to control the iPhone or iPhone to control the deck. Wnt thru this same decision process 6 months ago. Decide to do the head unit in case anyone ever brought a cd. I don't use the radio either. Bonus for charging the phone.

frosty2469 06-29-2010 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camassanger (Post 1602980)
Sony CDx-m60ui is awesome. Can use the hu to control the iPhone or iPhone to control the deck. Wnt thru this same decision process 6 months ago. Decide to do the head unit in case anyone ever brought a cd. I don't use the radio either. Bonus for charging the phone.

The Sony CDx-M60ui sounds like what I've been looking for... can swap between iphone controlling, or deck controlling iphone... using the iphone to control it is so much easier, but I like my remote commander on the transom, too.

The sony website hasn't updated the compatibility, does anyone know if it works with iphone4?
I would hate to buy it to find out it's not compatible!

David

jacobs0222i 06-29-2010 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uofamox (Post 1602892)
Belowi is a link to the adapter i use for my iphone 4 (just upgraded last week to it) adapter works with 3g and 3gs models as well. This charges your phone and uses the thirty pin connection at the bottom of the phone. I run the RCAs into my ws420 eq. I have the 3.5 mm input for all those not iphone users if i let them pay some tunes. I also have been using my 3.5mm output of my eq and running into my buddys Malibu 247 with a pair of NVS on the tower. Its a great way to compare the NVS vs the Wetsounds (2 485s on my tower). Both speakers are great products and both Tim / Duane are great at backing their products.

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPhone-3G-Car-Ra...item5ada828270

Will this work with any head unit i have a 2001 alpine hu?

camassanger 06-29-2010 5:51 PM

The sony is a standard USB connect. I would think that it will work with all iPhones, but you'll want to confirm. and, yes, you can add a transom remote to this deck too. I have one sitting in my garage, just havent hooked it up yet.

h2ohangtime 06-29-2010 9:19 PM

I have the M60UI and I just upgraded my iPhone 3Gs to OS4. It didn't work at first (the display kept flashing READ), but I read on an Apple forum that after upgrading to the new OS, you need to turn your iPhone off and THEN plug it in. Apparently, this causes the USB interface in the HU to re-recognize the phone as a new device. I followed that advice and it worked like a charm. This obviously shoudn't be a problem with a completely new iPhone, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

The M60UI isn't the best HU out there, and the iPhone/iPod controls take some time to master, but once you get it down, it works pretty well. The one thing I DON'T like about it is that it doesn't have a MUTE or ATT button on the faceplate--it's only on the wireless remote that comes with the unit. So you either have to jog the volume dial or hit the volume down button on a wired remote elsewhere in the boat if the wireless isn't handy when you go to pick up a downed skiier.

Just my $0.02.

buffalow 06-30-2010 5:30 AM

The HSE Volume Control will allow you to do this as well and control the volume.

camassanger 06-30-2010 8:35 AM

Good points Tony, and thanks for the tip on the iPhone. I just upgraded to 4.0 also. I really like the Sony HU - I have my iphone in a ram mount easily accessible, so I can hit the pause button on the iphone just as easy. I find it easy to control the tunes from the iphone, but do use the seek+ buttons on the HU to advance to the next song on occasion. Overall, I think it's one of the best out there do to the USB pigtail and usability, but Im sure their are others. Best of luck Bakes!

j13jjs 07-01-2010 7:20 AM

This is the same idea I had when starting my system, I have headphone cable to rca cable going straight to my amp. ipods and iphones also have equalizer selections built in so I don't think I'm really missing out on anything.

BEST OF ALL if you have an iPhone download the 99cents app "Adaptunes" which uses the built in gps in the phone to turn the volume up or down based on your speed. I have mine setup so whenever the boat stops it's at a very low volume that lets me talk to the boarder in the water and when I start going even 10mph it's at just about full volume completely topping out by 30mph.

camassanger 07-01-2010 10:41 AM

WOW, that sounds like a really cool feature for the iPhone!!! Thanks for sharing that j13. I wonder if I can make that work thru the USB connection. the one thing I do like is that the USB connection charges the phone too. But your set up sounds really great - no need for a boost box or HSE revolution with that cool app. You should start a new thread with this info - it would be huge to anyone considering boost box or HSE. GPS based seems like a great idea for controlling the music volume via the phone...

camassanger 07-01-2010 10:50 AM

Just looked at th app, cant tell if it'll work with my USB connection.

j13jjs 07-01-2010 12:53 PM

I'm really not sure if it will work through USB or not, I say just try it, only 99cents.

I would think it would since the type of USB you're using is only audio out, no external controls. I have usb hookup in my truck but the h/u controls the iphone.

Works really well though, especially with the iPhone4, really fast response to acceleration. You can also setup the app to only respond to the accelerometer or shaking the iphone basically and adjust sensitivity. That way probably would not be as consistent for volume control though, good for working out though.

camassanger 07-01-2010 9:20 PM

Doesn't work while connected via USB. Darn it. Works great in the truck tho.

jonyb 07-02-2010 5:33 AM

I prefer having a head unit with a helm and transom remote that controls the ipod. The Alpine head units have external remotes with displays that have complete control over the ipod. I use the transom remote more than the helm remote. If you've never had a helm remote, you don't know how great it is.

camassanger 07-02-2010 1:03 PM

John, My HU is in the dash board. Why would I need a helm remote?

jonyb 07-03-2010 10:22 AM

Then the only part of my statement that applies to you is the transom remote.