WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poppiest Board & Stiffest Bindings needed (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782093)

rocket71 07-27-2010 7:56 PM

Poppiest Board & Stiffest Bindings needed

Okay, I am 5'11" 205 lbs. I have been riding a 09 CWB Marius Platinum with 09 Zeus Bindings.

Current setup thoughts...
Board = I like the board. I am still learning but am getting better at popping off the wake. However, the board is starting to delaminate at the nose and I need a new one. Frustrating as the board is less than year old and my wife can not remember what online buyer she used and CWB won't help unless I can provide a reciept. (oh well) I am looking for the board with the most pop for a 205 lb guy. The Marius was wide so I think that really helped. I might just get a non-platty Marius I like it that much. Suggestions??

Bindings - I hate them. They are just not stiff enough and more importantly they absolutely will not stay tight. I have to tighten them up after ever fall. I used to run a pair of '06 Hyperlite 3DS and they were awesome. After talking with Gary at the-house.com I am leaning toward a pair of 2010 Watsons. My concern with them is all the threads about blowing out the air ride chassis and it holding water.

Thanks!

hawkeye7708 07-27-2010 8:16 PM

Berry,

Bindings: Hit up the Ronix Cells. No gimmicky stuff to break, super light, and SNOWBOARD STIFF. But not to the point where you can't tweak em out. Get some, love them. Chad Sharpe designed both boots, the 3DS and the Cell and you'll like what he's been up to.

Board: There are lots of great boards out there that are geared to have an explosive rocker. The most important thing is that you get a board that can accommodate your weight. I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but Ronix has excellent boards in larger sizes that provide excellent lift. The IBEX, ONE, and VIVA and even the Mana all come in larger sizes, the One up to a 146. I'm 180 and I ride the 144 Viva and it's amazing. Super huge, consistent pop. As hard as you want to push it, it'll give you the pop you want, and deliver it controllably. But I would highly recommend looking into a board like that. Physics-wise too, more surface area present at the wake, the more resistance to change and the more lift it will generate. Possibly why your Marius gave you the pop you liked. Check out the Ronix boards. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

cwb4me 07-27-2010 8:26 PM

BARRY check out this years spring ride video. there is a dude in that video bigger than you getting massive air.it's not the board.the first thing everyone wants to do when they can't do a trick or perform like they want to is blame the equipment.you need to watch some of the old byerly videos or old parks videos or even shapiro those guys throw down awesome tricks and get big air with no wake and old junk boards.it's all technique and body position. are you up for the challenge?

rocket71 07-28-2010 5:26 AM

Thanks for the info. I had not considered Ronix. I wish there was a place close by to check them out.

cwb4me - You are right and I know it. I just this year got someone on my boat that gave me some pointers about edging through the wake and that made a monster difference. I just need to get the timing issue down. I finally got some video of myself out there and am going to post it on learnwake to try to get some more help.

The gear issue had only come up because of the delam on the Marius and the bindings not staying tight. I love my board but must get another. The bindings though gotta go, I am putting off left ankle surgery till winter and just must have stiffer bindings right now.

lance - sending you a pm

cwb4me 07-28-2010 5:43 AM

berry GOOD TO HEAR YOU ARE MAKING PROGRESS.hope you ankle heals okay.anything with your legs hurts wakeboarding ability. i went to the wakeboard camp in clermont fla. with the same issues as you. in one week they got my body position down and i was rotating a backroll just not riding away. that was at age 47. but i have goals to reach[if my body holds up]. p.s. i ride a MARIUS with ANSWER bindings. how about wakeside.com or boardco.com or buywake.com or evogear.com or boardersmall.com or barts.com they are some of cwbs on line stores GOOD LUCK

rocket71 07-28-2010 5:50 AM

cwb4me - Thanks for the motivation. I will hit 40 in March and have really been pressing hard this year because I can here the clock ticking in the back of my mind. I am contemplating a wakeboard camp early next year. I have attempted a backroll about 12 times this year. 2x I have gotten around on the rotation but lost it. After watching a video of myself I am not getting the needed pop because my legs have to be bent on the landing. I plan on just working on the pop this weekend if I can get some bindings to really secure my ankle in the board.

wake77 07-28-2010 8:16 AM

I am rocking the 09 Cells this year. Super stiff, super light, no heel lift, and you are locked in. I took probably the worst heel digger I have ever taken, yesterday (on a blind BS 180) and I didn't eject, not even close. They are very comfortable as well. I have a surgically repaired ankle, so I have to have the support. I am also riding the Vibe this year. Fun board, lots of pop, just not that great to ride in the chop.

bruizza 07-28-2010 8:41 AM

Jump on www.grizzly-sports.com they have some left over 08 Ronix Ones for $199.99 including the 146 and they have the 09 One and Ibex for $269.99. I am 210lbs and I ride the 144 Ibex and freaking love it. The Cells or Frank boots are my 2 favorite boots by Ronix.

rocket71 07-28-2010 8:49 AM

I will check out grizzly, I bought my Hyperlite 3DS bindings from them a while ago.

hawkeye7708 07-28-2010 8:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ronix has top of the line product and their customer service department is awesome. Great company to be involved with.

stephan 07-28-2010 9:18 AM

Tell your wife to do a search in her email Inbox, if that doesn't work look at the Credit Card Statements, if you don't have to buy a new board wouldn't that be better? If you can get it warrantied, perhaps try the Transcend, its a little more UP on the pop scale

As for the boots, are you making sure to lock the lace lock?

rocket71 07-28-2010 9:33 AM

Yeah, I am locking the lace down but it always works free.

v220ls 07-28-2010 10:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Berry:
My two cents, sorry to hear about the delam? I've had almost very board in the CWB line up, I think you have a great board with very good pop! The platty's are having some issues (See other posts IE CWB warranty rant) I ride a non plat now, they are not available, I'm 6'4" 227 I have zero issues with pop, like you said nice wide board good speed, softer landings. I too had issues with my 09 Answer bindings losing up, I loved the quality just could keep tight. My experience with LF Watsons all bad, blew out in just over a year? I am trying Ronix Kai 2010, they are very tight, great feel I hope the quality is there??? Everyone I talk to swears by the Ronix bindings I guess time will tell.
Here's a picture of the Watson's just for fun, cleaning out he garage they are headed to the dump.

G

rocket71 07-28-2010 11:20 AM

Wow! That is a blow out. I do like my Marius but since have to get another board was just looking at my options. I have called and spoken with Ronix and the Cell's sound like the ones I need or would like the most. I asked if Cell's would fit my Marius until I could get fundage for a new board too and they didnt have a solid answer. I might take a run down to Ambush (buywake.com) in Atlanta tomorrow to check it out. They seem to carry everything but their pricing, even online, is high.

Is there a Ronix board with similar to the Marius? After calling Ronix they suggested the Ibex.

kyle_L 07-28-2010 11:29 AM

Ronix IBEX, One, LF S4 and possibly the Watson Classic (Bob and Harley seem to be going bigger than everyone this year and i think Derome rides it too- that is 3 very good riders from one company on one board), Byerly Conspiracy or Assault.

Bindings: Ronix Ones or LF Sovens with the straps extra high

fullspeed 07-28-2010 11:39 AM

Hey not to Hijack the thread, but how about the Gator Prospect 141. I recently bought mine on Ebay for cheap just the other day, but still is in route. Will be delivered tomorrow. I bought it because it was also wide, heard it had great pop and was simular to the Marius. Hopefully that is true since I just bought it.
Ebay had it for $159.00 shipping tax was $191. Wakepaddlenroll was the seller name. He carries tons of Gator stuff.

Also bought the gator bindings for cheap too. $149. free shipping and no tax. Got the binding right away and they seem like they are built well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gator-Boards-Gat...item1e5d1c74de

This might be a good option for you.

sidekicknicholas 07-28-2010 12:02 PM

Slingshot Recoil or Ronix Ibex
Slingshot D2/D3 - Super stiff with ankle harness is (can remove it too) -- much more support than anything else I've ever tried

jeff_mn 07-28-2010 12:16 PM

ibex + cells

no question

hyperlite 07-28-2010 1:07 PM

Mmmm

bcrider 07-28-2010 1:24 PM

Depending how you bought your stuff online you can look up old Visa/ Matercard Transactions through your online bank account. I just went on Paypal for the same thing and pulled the receipt for my B-side that I bought well over a year ago by searching the transaction dates. Just a thought.

hawkeye7708 07-28-2010 1:52 PM

The Cells should fit just fine.

http://www.evogear.com/wakeboard-and...formation.aspx

rocket71 07-28-2010 1:57 PM

I am looking but just can not find it. She said she got it on ebay and paid with her credit card. Geez...shouldn't be this hard and kinda stinks. CWB gave me an RA # but wont help unless I have a reciept. I kinda understand but it is a 2009 board and this is 2010 it has to be under a year or close enough right? I was hoping to get well over just 1 season out of a high end board. Oh well, I just need to keep my reciept next time. CWB said they might be able to repair it. I will likely just send it to them anyway and when I get it back repaired or not relegate it to a spare board. Its not delam too bad. Maybe I will just duct tape the one nose...lol.

kko13 07-28-2010 5:34 PM

I just got an 09 Ibex 144 from grizzly!!!!! They rock as an ebayer I can tell you that. I got a HELL of a deal on this board through their make an offer deal on ebay. My first time buying from them but it will not be my last.

rocket71 07-28-2010 5:44 PM

kko13 - how do you like that ibex?

At this point, after much thread reading I am pretty sure Ibex and Cells are going to be on the way soon. I got a guy selling me the '10 Cells for $315 and '09 Ibex for $225. Not bad.

rocket71 07-28-2010 6:12 PM

Slight issue...how in the heck do you heat mold Cell bindings or will they just form over time? Not sure I can buy online and then take them local to get them molded.

BigTEX 07-28-2010 6:31 PM

Fill your tub up with hot hot water soak them for 5 or 10 then put them on your feet and cinch them up as tight as you can and wear them around for a bit

hawkeye7708 07-28-2010 11:13 PM

Berry, they're SUPER comfortable even without the molding. Wouldn't sweat it. I've noticed the footbeds conform a bit over time.

cpizzle2 07-28-2010 11:28 PM

RONIX bindings fo sho! Arguments can be made all day long about boards. I use a hairdryer and it works great.

hawkeye7708 07-29-2010 6:18 AM

Not to mention, the bindings are SUPER SUPER UBER light which is pretty sweet as well.

kko13 08-01-2010 4:23 PM

Berry I only paid $150 + $27 shipping for the 144 Ibex from grizzly. I have used it twice and am still getting use to it. The one thing I love about it so far is that when it lands it sticks. I have yet to slide out on a landing wich I use to do alot . The pop thing well I am still in the progression stage with this so I cant really give you an honest answer on the pop. It rides fast and lands awesome that I can tell you. I also found it easier to surface spin it than my old board 04 HL TFD 142.
As far as bindings I have to have the hinge so I ride CWB factions I am 06 now but have some 08 I have not tried yet but they feel more supportive. The 08 are also much lighter than my 06 but no where near the ronix bindings.

rocket71 08-02-2010 6:43 PM

I should get the binds/board on 8/5. I will put up my thoughts not longer after.

wake77 08-02-2010 9:58 PM

^Did you get the Cell's? I have the 09's, they are great. The Ibex is a great board.

Are you going to do any riding this week?

rocket71 08-03-2010 10:46 AM

Hey Jeremy,
I am going on Thu, Fri, Sat & Sun. If you wanna go Friday evening and Sunday are best. Saturday (not 100% this day)

wake77 08-03-2010 10:51 AM

Friday, I have to work (sucks). We more than likely will be on the river Sunday. If we go, we can meet up and you can get a pull if you want.

chaser 08-03-2010 11:21 AM

Berry,
Not sure why you are having an issue with CWB customer service. They have always been top notch. I just got an 09 Transcend Platty replaced under warranty by emailing pictures to Kyle at CWB. He was very accomodating. He did not ask at any time for a receipt. It's an 09 and has a two year warranty, the 2011's aren't out so it's obviously in warranty yet, right? Love the Transcend, but rode an Absolute and ended up buying that too. Not sure which one I'll ride the most. I'm a bigger rider too at 6'5" and 220lbs.

As far as the loosening laces, buy a pair of round boot laces and replace the laces in the bindings. They hold so much better than the original laces. Love the Zeus. So comfy too.

tampawake 08-03-2010 1:02 PM

I had a pair of 08 Cells for about 3 months stay away from the 08's. I had all kinds of heal lift with J Bars dealt with customer service on it told me to heat mold them 3 times still did not work pretty much got no where. I heard they fixed the problem in the 09s and newer. Ronix makes great products. I now ride 2010 watson close toes and love them absolutely no heal lift but they were not cheap. I am going to be honest if you are near a pro shop demo the boots don't order them online. When my Cells did not work out for me I demoed the Wats and fell in love. Moral of the story demo demo demo if possible. I am not bashing Ronix just did not have the experience I hoped but I could have a weird foot. I love my watsons and LF. Good luck

tampawake 08-03-2010 1:06 PM

KKO rockin the big IBEX!!! You dont need that big anymore skinny ass!

tre 08-03-2010 1:41 PM

Berry, replace the laces on your bindings and it will become a whole different boot. The laces that come with the CWB bindings are complete crap and most people I know with the bindings have the issue where they loosen up. I had the issue with my 2009 CWB Answer bindings. CWB sent me new laces and lace locks but nothing would help. The boots loosened up and laces were breaking. I went to target and got a pair of 45" outdoor laces (Kiwi brand) for a little over $1. The laces are round (not flat) and the bindings are now great, stiff, and don't loosen up. I don't know why CWB ships such crappy laces when the whole issue can be fixed for $1 retail cost.

rocket71 08-07-2010 9:03 AM

cwb

Hey Man, Can you send me Kyles email address?
Thx,Berry

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaser (Post 1617096)
Berry,
Not sure why you are having an issue with CWB customer service. They have always been top notch. I just got an 09 Transcend Platty replaced under warranty by emailing pictures to Kyle at CWB. He was very accomodating. He did not ask at any time for a receipt. It's an 09 and has a two year warranty, the 2011's aren't out so it's obviously in warranty yet, right? Love the Transcend, but rode an Absolute and ended up buying that too. Not sure which one I'll ride the most. I'm a bigger rider too at 6'5" and 220lbs.

As far as the loosening laces, buy a pair of round boot laces and replace the laces in the bindings. They hold so much better than the original laces. Love the Zeus. So comfy too.

tcaz 08-07-2010 5:47 PM

I can't be the only one who read the title as "Poopiest board..."

ache_for_wake 08-07-2010 7:29 PM

+1 On the Ronix Ibex with Cells bindings. Got a 144 this year after riding an 06 Parks with Murray bindings for 4 years and what a difference! I loved my old board, but now when I ride it feels like the board and boots are part of me. Sooo sweet!!!