WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   DeFy! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791275)

stepintoliquid 12-29-2011 10:52 AM

DeFy!

To all those who have seen it..... What do you think?!

behindtheboat 12-29-2011 10:54 AM

It's good.

VTWakeboard 12-29-2011 11:08 AM

worth it, a lot of rail riding...tend to like more boat riding but its a great video. Double ups were crazy and a good mix of riders.

logan 12-29-2011 1:05 PM

My bad if I'm being rude but I am sick and tired of hearing about defy in every other thread, /rant.

tonyv420 12-29-2011 2:01 PM

^^^ Whatever! Hearing about it or reading about it??? No one is forcing you to read a thread. This is a wakeboard forum, so what do you expect??

tonyv420 12-29-2011 2:02 PM

btw... Defy is off the hook!!! Go buy it!

redracer2003 12-29-2011 3:26 PM

I got it yesterday and have watched it twice, very good film!

johnny_defacto 12-29-2011 5:26 PM

yeah, its funny that you click on and read a thread with the subject: DEFY and then complain that every other thread mentions the movie. if you do not want to hear about civics, do not go to a honda forum and click on the thread labeled "Civic talk".

you are welcome.

redracer2003 12-29-2011 5:38 PM

I'd like to download the song from Danny's last section and they don't list it in the credits. Does anyone know what the name of that song and artist is?

pureblue 12-29-2011 6:22 PM

The first section and last section were really good. I wish there was more of jimmy lariche and adam errington. They were absolutely boosting in the first section. The middle was kinda meh for me, I dunno maybe it was because I have been watching the art of flight, I know I know way different budgets. Still it was a great wakeboard video, I just wanted more of the beginning!

jaybee 12-30-2011 6:53 AM

Waiting till Sunday right before I go ride to watch it, to get me PUMPED!!

stepintoliquid 12-30-2011 10:43 AM

I've watched it twice. It's sick! Too bad we can't wakeboard....

jarrod 12-30-2011 12:17 PM

The Art of Flight is a tough act to follow.

I love DEFY. The section with the slider pool. Step up, step down, the kicker, the C rail, is just nuts! Those guys put their well-being on the line for some big tricks. Fricken nuts.

wakeboardern1 12-30-2011 1:42 PM

I thought it was awesome, although the music wasn'T my favorite part. I was a little upset with the use of sail again. I understand that amateur. Idea makers won't stop using it (after it was used for the Keith Lyman farewell) but that just seems like something kills should've steered clear of. The video was used on Allance for that farewell, and I thought that leaving it to that video was appropriate because it makes me think of Keith Lyman's last set. Just a pet peeve of mine cropping up again.

k2rider2690 12-31-2011 8:46 AM

anyone think it will come out on itunes like the art of flight did?

k2rider2690 12-31-2011 8:48 AM

just kidding last time i checked it wasnt there and now it is! awesome!

stepintoliquid 12-31-2011 9:33 AM

Agreed J-Rod. The Art of Flight is almost impossible to follow. The step up pool section is hands down the best part of the film. Brass BALLS!

Bumpass1 12-31-2011 10:30 AM

I finally got my copy in the mail yesterday and watched it last night. I agree that the step up step down section was wicked. Where was the final shot with all of the double ups at? That water color is just insane!!!

dohboy 12-31-2011 2:20 PM

Just got it in the mail and checked it out. The transfer to the pool is worth the price by itself. So cool

adam_balon 12-31-2011 5:34 PM

it is on itunes.

i thought the movies was ok. really patchy and dannys naration was horrible. "theres nothing like driving a luxury rv through a 3rd world country"...... seriously. good for a quick watch but just another typical wake video.

johnny_defacto 12-31-2011 7:31 PM

watched it yesterday from itunes. I had high expectations that were almost met. the riding was incredible, the rail session at radar and the pool gap was great. The opening d ups was the best part imo. cinematography and editing and camera angles with the chopper was truly amazing. There are 3 things I do not like. 1 was the soundtrack, it was okay, 2 is the way the video was broken down in sections. I like the typical video with rider sections. I understand though this was dannys project and it was set up this way for a reason. 3. I thought the end with the clear water would of been longer with all the bangers from everyone. Dannys doubles were excellent, was just hoping to see the other riders new tricks.

Overall I am glad I bought it and will enjoy watching it again, and again, and again.

Congrats to Danny, Kilgus and all who put their blood sweat tears and money into it.

johnny_defacto 12-31-2011 7:37 PM

watched it yesterday from itunes. I had high expectations that were almost met. the riding was incredible, the rail session at radar and the pool gap was great. The opening d ups was the best part imo. cinematography and editing and camera angles with the chopper was truly amazing. There are 3 things I do not like. 1 was the soundtrack, it was okay, 2 is the way the video was broken down in sections. I like the typical video with rider sections. I understand though this was dannys project and it was set up this way for a reason. 3. I thought the end with the clear water would of been longer with all the bangers from everyone. Dannys doubles were excellent, was just hoping to see the other riders new tricks.

Overall I am glad I bought it and will enjoy watching it again, and again, and again.

Congrats to Danny, Kilgus and all who put their blood sweat tears and money into it.

bschall 01-01-2012 1:41 PM

On top of the Video itself "which I have watched twice" there is lots of good bonus footage that is not included in the actual video. Its DEFYnitley a must buy.

adamsilcio 01-02-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_balon (Post 1723627)
it is on itunes.

i thought the movies was ok. really patchy and dannys naration was horrible. "theres nothing like driving a luxury rv through a 3rd world country"...... seriously. good for a quick watch but just another typical wake video.

"theres nothing like driving a luxury rv through a 3rd world country"
......i gotta admit i laughed out loud when i read this. that part was pretty funny though in the movie.

VinnyA 01-12-2012 1:11 PM

i only bought the itunes copy, but if the special features are good enough, id def be down to buy the blu ray? are there alot of special features? with some good material? or just silly ones?

mckenna 01-12-2012 5:39 PM

defy has raised the bar.

Great to see Danny really pushing things while the others have dropped off.

wiscxstar 01-13-2012 9:27 AM

I agree that the movie was ok, but not great. In my opinion, it could have been great as it looks like they had great footage and ideas, just look at the trailer, however, the actual video did not come out that way. I would have liked better music and a more exciting use/layout of the footage.

01-13-2012 10:15 AM

I think it was lame that Jimmy LaRiche, Rusty, and Bob soven only got footage in the Intro section. I didnt really understand that. The pools and features they built were pretty cool. There were sooo many huge hammers in Dannys last section, although none of the tricks were new. I was really expecting him to actually invent some tricks. All in all, it was a cool video

jarrod 01-13-2012 11:28 AM

I thought it was awesome all around. Like Art of Flight, I kind of got that bummed-out feeling when it was over.

bcrider 01-13-2012 1:05 PM

^^ I thought the same thing. I watched Art of Flight one day and had me all jacked for snowboarding then I watched Defy a couple days later and I wanted my boat back.

Really dig the sound track on Art of Flight. I downloaded M83 Hurry Up, We're Dreaming. What an awesome album. The song on the video is "My tears are becoming a Sea'

Also downloaded Black angels- Young men dead is the song on AOF. Another good album though.

kybool 01-13-2012 1:33 PM

The video was sick and Danny's double-up section & the wave riding section were off the hook. And yes the pretty blue water was very, well....pretty. Not a fan of the step-up pool session, and hated the Systmic2.0 quarter-pipe-curb-to-make-pros-look-like-rookies section.

I thought it was a bit strange to see a video hyped up this much, with no Harley. I know Danny used to be the best of the best, and the video is about him, but I guess IMO a video without Harley can't be the best 2011-12 wakeboard video. Felt a little outdated, lots of tricks that have been done and seen before. Not nearly as well produced as Art of Flight for those making the comparison, again IMO.

01-13-2012 2:30 PM

Truthfully I thought it was a sick video. The reason you probably dont see more of Bob, Rusty, or Jimmy is because it was put on by Ronix. Not sure why they had such a small segment and that was it tho. Just a thought.....

kybool 01-13-2012 2:56 PM

Good point on who sponsored the movie, very valid. A major sponsor of the movie is also Monster Energy who sponsors Harley. I was wonder what Nautique felt about all of the time spent on XStars, I guess it is hard to avoid when so much of the movie is from the Red Bull lake used for the Mastercraft-sponsored Double-or-Nothing contest.
I am not saying it was a bad movie, probably just WAY too much hype and delays so my expectations were big. I expected more innovation and new footage/ tricks.

ldeisel42 01-14-2012 6:58 AM

I though it was great... I have watched it several times with different friends... even got one of my buddies that don't really like wakeboarding start talking about riding.. that was awesome...Everytime I watch it.. I wish it was warm outside so I could go ride...but it will be a few months...Like I said I really enjoyed Defy!!

wakerpunk 01-14-2012 6:28 PM

I appreciate it more every time i watch it. The comment about it feeling outdated isn't really relevant, seeing as there hasn't been very many "new" tricks done in wakeboarding. If a trick is done once does it make it outdated? ex. parks' 1080 in 1999. We have all become desensitized to action sports videos. Its borderline impossible to compare DEFY to the ART OF FLIGHT or THATS IT THATS ALL because they had budgets around 1million dollars whereas Kilgus's entire budget was probably closer to 100k. The only thing i would have done differently is shown more raw riding. As a film enthusiast i can appreciate Sean's efforts in making everything epic in terms of heli shots and super slo mo cameras, but i would have liked to seen some riding at dannys house. I like the raw feeling videos where you get a feeling of the riders personalities and seeing them have fun etc... My favorite snowboard video of all time is Picture This, it had a great soundtrack, filming, tricks and overall feeling.

yeahhh 01-26-2012 1:53 PM

great video, but dubstep wins soundtrack of the year.. this is a sport for bros and tools..

steezyshots 01-27-2012 9:11 AM

Danny's closing section is iINSANE!

beretta5spd 01-27-2012 9:52 AM

Have watched it a few times in the last week. Here are my thoughts:

-double up sections at the blue lake. Especially Lariche's for some reason. Danny's double flips were enjoyable too.
-speaking of Lariche... I'm kind of glad they kept the kids out of this vid for the most part. Nothing against them... and they all kill it out there.... but I enjoyed the fact that most of the riding shown in the video was from the older guys being that this is a documentary.
-I liked the system 2.0 "180 rail" section. I would have put much less wrecks in it but that's just me.
-I really liked the random jib section from Australia
-Bonus features were great

Dislikes:
-Tindy's ha.... so many of them
-the wall ride in Mexico where Danny spends half of it on his arse

Overall I really enjoyed it

KGar11 01-27-2012 10:39 PM

"-the wall ride in Mexico where Danny spends half of it on his arse"

sorry have to agree

bill 01-28-2012 9:58 AM

I definitly am ready to urchase a new vid or two been 4 yrs since i got my lst few

So Defy and ART OF FLIGHT - what art of flight about, whos in it?

beretta5spd 01-28-2012 12:16 PM

art of flight is a snowboard movie following the life of Travis Rice and friends and mainly sponsored by Red Bull. It's awesome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kh29_SERH0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would look at getting Body Glove's "slick city" wakeboard video put out last year. Here's that trailer. I got it off itunes in HD for like 7 or 8 bucks.

It's got Harley, Rusty, Jeff McKee, Balzer who's hilarious, Bob Soven, etc.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y3sRV3ikilQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beretta5spd 01-28-2012 12:17 PM

Back to Defy.... it's amazing it took 3 years to get all the footie for it. And you can definitely tell by all the different boards in it. Sooo many different Ronix setups it's ridiculous.

VinnyA 01-30-2012 8:06 AM

i loved the movie. but i liked the trailer more.....anyone else feel the same? i felt like all the coolest moments were in the trailer =(

501s 01-30-2012 9:28 AM

So I have watched Defy quite a few times now (Have had it in the truck for a couple weeks now). Here are my thoughts:

Double Flips - This is real progression in my eyes. These tricks are hard and only a few in the world can do them. And falls would be deadly.
Music - Took a while to get used too but now I really really like the music they choose.
Slow-Mo/ Cinematography - Best in a wake video yet.
Murray - He did like 3 tricks and they were all raileys and all awesome!

Dislikes:
Danny's Narrarating. - I'm very sorry to say it, but to me this was just kind of low end. I'm pretty sure a few of the guys were stoned when they did their interviews.

C-Rail. - Maybe this is "cutting edge progression" but to me it was weak. The riders were actually on the rail at such slow speeds and the falls looked pretty pathetic to me. When you compare what is being done on rails these days, this just looked a bit amaturish. I'm sure it was really really hard to do and was a new experience but I think the crazy rails in the old movies like Mayday and Hit it were more fun to watch then that thing. Plus when you compare that C-rail to the big rail gaps that were done 7 years ago in the Butter effect, I just think it falls short. I mean when they fall off they are 3 feet high and barely moving.... I don't mean to hate either, cause I know I couldn't do it.

Overall its an awesome video everyone should buy. Watch Parks ride again was great too, even if he looks like Ron Jeremey on the water. His physique has certainly changed over the years :(

TheHebrewHammer 01-30-2012 9:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 501s (Post 1728815)
Watch Parks ride again was great too, even if he looks like Ron Jeremey on the water. His physique has certainly changed over the years :(

Haha, nailed it :D

brett33 01-30-2012 10:04 AM

I agree with Levi. I loved the film, but the weakest part to me was Danny's narrating, for sure. Ridiculous riding, cinematography was spot on and that spot with the really blue water and beach has been in my dreams for weeks now! It's crazy to me that Parks, being a big 'ol boy, can flip those temper tantrums. So sick, and good to see him riding.