WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Carb Nite Diet (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801010)

buffalow 01-29-2014 7:15 AM

Carb Nite Diet

Curious if anybody has heard or tried this. It seems completely opposite of what I have been told my whole life. A friend that owns a gym and a personal trainer, that has known my weight struggles, suggested I give this a try. He has over a dozen people doing it in his gym now and seeing great results. I see mixed results online.

fly135 01-29-2014 7:58 AM

Sounds dumb. With that said I love carbs. My take on diet (not dieting) puts the emphasis on fiber. Fiber slows the uptake of sugar and speeds what you consume through your digestive trace. Without fiber the sugar gets into your system too fast. What can't be stored for immediate conversion to energy gets turned into fat. Then you crash and your metabolism sloes down. With fiber the sugar uptake is slowed and is available for a longer period for direct conversion to energy, and less conversion to fat.

I eat a massive amount of carbs and fiber at breakfast. I drink juiced veggies (and apple for sweetness) with pulp fiber blended back in. I can go all day and wakeboard in the late afternoon and not run out of energy even though I only eat once in the morning and once in the evening. If you want to lose weight then stay away from things made with refined sugars or corn syrup. Which means most things on the grocery store shelf and definitely no donuts.

snyder 01-30-2014 1:01 PM

I haven't read much on this particular plan, but it sounds like "carb cycling", and carb cycling certainly does work and isn't dumb. Carb cycling has been used for years by body builders to target "fat" loss over weight loss. The very basic idea is that when you restrict your carb intake (and burn thru your glycogen stores w/depletion style work-outs (P90x, Insanity, etc), the hormonal response is for your body to turn to its fat stores for energy. But it's only temporary because of adaptations (Leptin and Insulin go down, ghrelin and cortisol go up, etc ) and if you do it too long you'll switch to breaking down protein (muscle) for energy. You'll continue to loose weight, but not specifically fat. That's what happens to people who have been on Adkins type diets for too long. They get smaller, but their weight loss is from fat and muscle. they become skinny-fat with no tone or definition. So to correct this, what you do is a periodic re-feed of carbs (i assume that's what carb nite is). what this does is it resets your hormonal responses from the "starving" phase back to a "fed" state. and combine this w/a power/HST type workout (typical heavy weight/low rep) and you can actually be anabolic for a few days. You have to be genetically gifted to add muscle and lose fat at the same time (or be juicing), but you can at least provide enough stimulus to preserve the muscle you have while targeting only the fat.
but yeah, fiber is necessary. ;-)

snyder 01-30-2014 1:25 PM

^^^^ caveat... this kind of dieting is used by folks who are already lean. like less than 12%bf and looking to get to single digit bf levels. because the leaner you get, the harder it is to get more lean. Getting from say 20+ down to 15% or below doesn't require this. Just a slight calorie deficit and consistent workouts.

ralph 01-30-2014 1:57 PM

IMO, the secret to weight control is there is no secret. Eat a balanced diet and control portion size. Simple. Any other wonder scheme is just a distraction from what is really important, calories in vs calories out.

More and more I start to think people intuitively know this but fight against it for some reason.

hatepain 01-30-2014 7:53 PM

Of course that's important but it devalues the hormonal response individuals have to certain macros.

eubanks01 01-31-2014 7:12 AM

I agree with Darren. It shouldn't be rocket science. Keep it simple.

fly135 01-31-2014 7:50 AM

I pack my plate until it's overflowing. I had to add snacks in between because I was still losing weight. What you eat makes a difference beyond calorie count. Also while calories in is a matter of measurement, IMO the calories out part is kind of rocket science. I still think any diet plan that promotes a night of concentrated sugar is dumb.