WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Things to check on a 2006 LSV? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780022)

loudsubz 05-28-2010 6:46 PM

Things to check on a 2006 LSV?

Went to see a 2006 LSV tonight, the price is cheap but the boats interior needs some TLC. It looks like the previous owners left it out all the time because everything is dirty and some rips in the vinyl and bimmini is torn etc, basically lazy boat owner.

He started it up in the driveway and ran water in the intake and the engine seemed to run fine, no smoke out of the exhaust, but engine temp was around 180, is this normal? On my Mercruiser it runs a little lower.

We are going to get an in water test later on so I'm wondering what other things I can look for to make sure its decent. Boat has less than 100hrs for a 2006 Model.

razzman 05-28-2010 6:54 PM

180 is the normal temp for the Indmar, that's exactly where mine ('07) runs as well. I'm assuming it has the Assault 325? It's a good engine and is very strong. As it sounds like it wasn't taken care of based on your description i'd ask about servicing, was it done? Check fluid levels to make sure they've been maintained. Check condition of prop, rudder and shaft to make sure it wasn't grounded. In general make sure everything works as it should. On that boat with only 100 hours there really isn't much that can be wrong with it unless it was totally trashed.

loudsubz 05-28-2010 7:12 PM

Steering moved freely and he said he had the prop rebalanced but I'm not sure if it was hit or what the story was there. Rudder was straight and didn't appear to be any damage below.

razzman 05-28-2010 7:18 PM

Just out of curiosity what's he asking and how is it equipped?

loudsubz 05-28-2010 7:50 PM

around 29k CDN and it comes pretty loaded but its missing the audio and some 2 of 3 ballast bags as Im assuming it was a repo of some sort and the prev owners took it out.

scottnaz 05-28-2010 7:57 PM

Ask about service records, but more importantly....trust your gut. There shouldn't be a whole lot wrong with a 100 hour boat as long as it's been serviced by the dealer atleast once during the break-in period. It's too bad the interior of an 06' is already in poor shape.

I looked at a 3 yr old MC back when I was shopping, and as soon as I saw the case of beer still in the storage compartment, I turned and walked away. Does it feel like a good buy?

loudsubz 05-28-2010 8:18 PM

It does and it doesn't. Exterior is in great shape, only 2 small scratches on either side of the boat, around the decal, and one can be buffed out, but interior looks like they left it sitting all summer in rain and shine without a cover. I can look beyond that as I know what a little TLC can do as I really cleaned up my old ski boat I bought, but other things like rear sunpad tops are all off and looks like hinges have been removed etc. He says he has it all and I saw the bads, but didn't see the hinges so I don't know why they would have been removed.

Also front cushion closest to cleat in bow is broken from the fiberglass, and I noticed the screw holding it in had broken from the hull and would need to be glued down again or the fiberglass fixed and the pad reattached. Small things but they all add up.

MattieK27 05-29-2010 5:39 AM

Yikes, sounds like a mess. Your willing to sell me your clean ski Ray for a boat that sounds like it was thrashed for 100 hours? (you emailed me about it, not sure how you found out I was looking at spitfires haha)

I would walk away from that boat. It's still a buyers market, and with patience you can get a much nicer boat for the same price, if not less.

loudsubz 05-29-2010 7:06 AM

haha it was you :D

I was looking for pictures of my boat to send to a dealer as a trade in and noticed you had used one of my pictures in your WTB thread :)

It's a bit harder up in Canada as there is less supply and more demand for boats right now. In our price range the boats usually start at 35k and go up. Heck there is only 2 2006 LSV that I have found in Ontario so far that are within our budget.