WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   PP Servo Motor (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783193)

wake_upppp 08-30-2010 5:51 PM

PP Servo Motor

How long did yours last? I installed my PP in June of 06. Boat has 250 hrs. and it froze on me this weekend. Called PP and they said the moisture/humidity in the engine compartment is what kills them but there is not one sign of corrosion anywhere on any of the hardware or components. I'm thinking this is going to be a every 3 or 4 year replacement piece? Should I bust it apart like others have on here and try and revive it or just replace?

thedude 08-31-2010 9:45 AM

mine lasted about 4.5 years. On my second one now.

hatepain 08-31-2010 1:14 PM

I've been through two of them now so now I'd be on my third if I had ordered it yet. The last one went out at about 280 hours but only lasted me less than a year or under 100 hours. Totally sucks, the PP guys are cool but I should totally be getting it replaced for free. They say its the placement on Sangers and the fact that the belt can whip water up onto it from the bilge. I surf a ton so that doesn't help.

wake_upppp 08-31-2010 5:07 PM

Thanks guys. Well on Trace's advise from the other PP servo thread, I pulled it apart and it was very easy to clean up with some WD-40 and back together in a jiffy. Working now. Guess time will tell if it was a waste of my time or not. The PP people are very helpfull for sure. Mine looked brand new on the outside. No sign of any water splashed on it or corrosion anywhere in my engine compartment. Only when I opened it up was it obvious what stopped it from working. Personaly I dont think it should be totaly sealed. This just allows the air inside to be at a different temp than the outside air around it causing condensation inside the housing. Although I didnt do it this time, I think a small weep hole placed in a low location of the housing would help.

hatepain 08-31-2010 6:28 PM

Sparky, it was for me. It lasted another couple outings and started to get grainy. Once grainy it started to really F with the throttle making it all jumpy. It'd be awesome if yours is solid though.

trace 08-31-2010 7:13 PM

Sweet, glad to hear it worked out and thanks for the shout out. Mine's been fine now for about 4 seasons since I had to clean it out.

Make sure it's mounted with the shaft pointed downwards. That way when water splashes on it, it's less likely to go into the armature. This is especially important on V-drives since it's right by the transom. I made that mistake when I originally installed it, and it lasted about 3 seasons.

ralph 08-31-2010 7:26 PM

Dehumidifier in the boat under the cover when you tuck it up at night dries everything out like you wouldn't believe. I set it up so it vents into the bilge at the front, after two days I switch it off so things don't get too dry.

hatepain 08-31-2010 7:31 PM

Quote:

I set it up so it vents into the bilge at the front
Please elaborate.

ralph 08-31-2010 8:25 PM

The dehumidifier has an outlet tube to run the condensation away, I run the tube to the bilge at the front, because of the way the water sits in the boat it all accumulates there and the engine compartment is completely dry.

wake_upppp 08-31-2010 8:44 PM

I run the pellet type dryers in the winter, and a small fan when the boat is tarped but not needed here in the spring/summer/fall with a breathable cover. My boat sits slightly nose down in my driveway so no water is ever sitting in the engine area. I believe the servo housing should be vented but it was completely sealed when I took it apart. I think it condensates on the inside of the housing because of the different air temps inside and out. Similar to why marine distributor caps have vents. I could be wrong here tho...lol

jagermeister 09-01-2010 10:56 AM

Just take it apart and use scotch brite and WD40 to clean it... The servo is a brushless motor so it is easily taken apart and reassembeled.. I've got 10 years on one that I've cleaned up twice..

If anyone has old servo motors, hit me up, I buy them from y'all for beer money!!

jumpit13 09-01-2010 5:11 PM

My went after the first year on my sanger v215 2005 bought a new one and fixed the old one as a back up. but have not had any issues since 06. but I like having a spare. easy switch on the lake