WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wetsuit Vs. Drysuit? Which and Why? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783667)

ethan31 09-17-2010 9:15 PM

Wetsuit Vs. Drysuit? Which and Why?

?

eaglejackson 09-17-2010 10:29 PM

Drysuit. Once it's too cold for a neoprene top and boardshorts, I go straight to the drysuit. Wetsuits are fine when you're in the water but once on the boat I would get chilled and catch colds a lot. I switched to the drysuit and stay warm and toasty and don't mind the cold water any more. A drysuit is a revelation and transforms the sport for me.

supernatural 09-17-2010 11:38 PM

Both definitly have there place. Drysuits are good for the real cold days but are fairly uncomfortable and restricting, while wetsuits are pretty comfortable and much easier to move in. I wear an Oneil 3/2 when the water is under 65'ish (depending on air temp) and switch to the drysuit when the water gets below 58's. I would pick a wetsuit if I had to choese one.

gherk 09-18-2010 1:37 AM

Drysuits aren't restricting as long as it fits. The seals might be uncomfortable but you won't even notice once you are on the water. Drysuit for sure if it's cold.

beleza 09-18-2010 1:57 AM

Agreed^^^^^ I think drysuits are actually more comfortable than wetsuits... a lot more expensive, but much more comfy all around.

ethan31 09-18-2010 7:06 AM

I think I will go with a drysuit, I live in northern Minnesota. Its 37 out right now, so needless to say it gets cold.
Whats a good drysuit to go with? I hear good things about the o'neil boost. Any suggestions?
What do you layer with? Thin fleece?
I think anything will be a upgrade from leaky 3/2.

andy_nintzel 09-18-2010 7:27 AM

http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com...&SubID=17&pg=0

great value.

andy_nintzel 09-18-2010 7:33 AM

Yeah I do the once its too cold for the heater top and trunk I go straight to the Drysuit too. WAY better than a full wetsuit plus you dont have sit in a cold wet suit.

goatboy 09-18-2010 8:42 AM

Never tried a drysuit but my o'neill psycho II (5/3) is brilliant.
Keeps you really warm both in and out of the water and the seals are so good you hardly get any water inside it, even with big falls. Super stretchy too so its comfy
Used it in 50 degrees F and below no problem at all..

cwb4me 09-18-2010 4:43 PM

drysuit gives you total flexability. wetsuit you will still be wet in the boat and if it's in the 60's or below you will get cold. if you come out of it your wet.most people who wear drysuit wear shorts or sweats under them depending on temp. they cost more but they are way more convienent.

downfortheride 09-19-2010 9:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sometimes a wetsuit just wont cut it...

Attachment 8629

Attachment 8630

brettw 09-19-2010 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Go with an O'Neill Assault hybrid. I love mine. I never get that initial cold water shock at all.

lfadam 09-19-2010 10:23 AM

I had the O'Neill Assault hybrid for 3 years, It was ok...pain to get on with the lower half being tight, the neck seal and wrist seals were never tight enough so they always leaked, but it was thick so I didnt have to layer up much underneath. I finally gave up on it when the zipper started leaking, and I put my heel through the leg when getting it on, putting a 1 inch tear in it. It did last me 3 years though.

Just got my Bare Ultra drysuit in last week. Its sick. I used my friend's a couple years ago and it is thinner than the Oneill so you need more layering, but the seals are awesome. Never leak a drop and much more mobility with full baggyness instead of just upper body.

A7X_LSV_23 09-19-2010 1:25 PM

Man, Can't believe no one has mentioned the Eagle Sports Drysuit. The ONLY Front zip (you can get into it yourself) drysuit on the market! My brother and I both have one and they're AWESOME! Rubber seals everywhere, neck, wrists, and ankles. Used them for about 4-5 months so far and they seem to be holding up great! Seals are still extremely tight. I had to leave mine around a bowl for quiet some time to get the neck seal to stretch out. I'd recommend one of these to anyone thinking about getting a wetsuit! Definitely the BEST investment I purchased for my boat. Just extended my season by about 4 months here in Utah! WOOT!

mikejones 09-20-2010 7:08 AM

So there seems to be some difference of opinion of wetsuit vs drysuit in this thread, and in another post. For those of you who have had both, whats the pro's and con's? I currently use a 3/2 Oneill psycho that works great, but have been thinking of getting a drysuit for added flexibility/movement. Wetsuits do constrict you a bit, and I've heard drysuits allow much more freedom. Is this really the case? I know when March comes, and I shred the wetsuit, its a totally different feeling when it comes to range of movement. I'm wanting to make sure I'll feel less restricted if I'm going to invest 400 bones on a drysuit. And if I will, how much less restricted?

bmartin 09-20-2010 8:07 AM

To answer original question - get both. Pros of a wetsuit: inexpensive and will not overheat you on mild chilly days and might be a little more durable. Pros of a dry suit: you can layer underneath so you can customize insulation (t-shirt and boardhorts to thermal underwear/jeans and fleece can be worn under the dry suit) and the biggest advantage is that you stay dry which will allow you to ride quite literally in freezing weather! The cons of a drysuit is expense and the gaskets can rip, but can be replaced. The ideal combo IMO would be a decent shorty to get you buy for chilly air runs and water temps to 60 something and won't cost too much and are not very restrictive and are easy on and easy off and get a dry suit for temps below that. If you have closed toe bindings consider a drysuit that has integrated feet. Nothing better than dry feet on cold days and has one less pair of gaskets that can fail. Here is a suit that is kind of expensive and I have one similar to it that is excellent. Breathable so it transmits sweat and will keep your feet dry and warm. Breathability is important because you will probably sweat while riding and when you hit cold water all that trapped sweat can instantly condense making it feel like you are wet in the suit. Not many wakeboarders know about this style as it is marketed primarily to kayakers. The top of the line dry suits are made with goretex and Kokatat seems to be the best brand but a new one will set you back almost a $1K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-PALM-TORREN...item58862042cf

bmartin 09-20-2010 8:14 AM

Ohh I will also add, that you should wear sweat friendly poly type materials under a dry suit and stay away from cotton. If you get any condesation or the sightest leakage, the cotton will feel wet and has zero insulation once that happens.

nbigger 09-20-2010 8:25 AM

Any one try one of these? http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php...d=34&Itemid=84 They are for kiteboarding but they seem like they would work good. They even have a zipper if you need to pee.

behindtheboat 09-20-2010 10:05 AM

Wetuit. Because if it's cold enough to need a drysuit, I'm probably not going. There has not been a time where my fullsuit wasn't enough.

09-20-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A7X_LSV_23 (Post 1634342)
Man, Can't believe no one has mentioned the Eagle Sports Drysuit. The ONLY Front zip (you can get into it yourself) drysuit on the market! My brother and I both have one and they're AWESOME! Rubber seals everywhere, neck, wrists, and ankles. Used them for about 4-5 months so far and they seem to be holding up great! Seals are still extremely tight. I had to leave mine around a bowl for quiet some time to get the neck seal to stretch out. I'd recommend one of these to anyone thinking about getting a wetsuit! Definitely the BEST investment I purchased for my boat. Just extended my season by about 4 months here in Utah! WOOT!

http://www.kites4fly.com/img_kat/885.jpg

Yup, it's the "ONLY Front zip drysuit on the market!", except the others that are on the market... lol!

A7X_LSV_23 09-20-2010 11:11 AM

Guess it all depends on what "Market" your talking about doesn't it... Seeing how this is a Wakeboarding website. I guess the "market" would be for wakeboarding/skiing use, not diving! ;) There's actually one made my Gill, that's a front zip that would be marginal for Wakeboarding use.... To each their own :)

09-20-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A7X_LSV_23 (Post 1634504)
Guess it all depends on what "Market" your talking about doesn't it... Seeing how this is a Wakeboarding website. I guess the "market" would be for wakeboarding/skiing use, not diving! ;) There's actually one made my Gill, that's a front zip that would be marginal for Wakeboarding use.... To each their own :)

The above suit is made by Ocean Rodeo and is generally marketed towards kitesurfing, but they have since started marketing them to wakeboarders too.

The Neil Pryde (NPX) Lucifer is also a front zip drysuit of sorts and is marketed to both kitesurfers and wakeboarders. This year model has been trimmed down so that big falls don't let water in like the last model.

Kokatat also offers several suits with front entry for watersports.

When choosing a drysuit remember to consider whether or not you are going to wear your life jacket on the outside or inside. To many people think you don't have to wear a lifejacket with a drysuit, but you should! In AZ it will get you a nice ticket!

fullspeed 09-20-2010 4:22 PM

Dry Suit all the way. I wear a long sleeve shirt and sweat pants under it. I have an older O'neil Dry suit not sure which one, but I really like it. It is baggy on me and I can really move around well in it. The only thing that sucks is when you take a header. SOme of the water shoots down your back. Plus you can't piss in a Dry Suit.

09-20-2010 4:42 PM

How many people responding with the drysuit answer actually wear a life jacket? I know a lot of people say that the drysuit is already buoyant so most people don't wear a life jacket. IMO that's just STUPID, not to mention against the law...

cwb4me 09-20-2010 4:49 PM

i always wear a lifejacket because i always crash. i just can't help but try things i can't do over and over. i also wear a helmet.

you_da_man 09-20-2010 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIngram (Post 1634611)
How many people responding with the drysuit answer actually wear a life jacket? I know a lot of people say that the drysuit is already buoyant so most people don't wear a life jacket. IMO that's just STUPID, not to mention against the law...

Stupid or careless...yes, but not against the law in some states to include Texas

bmartin 09-21-2010 7:41 AM

Sam - I always wear a life jacket trunking it, dry suit, or wetsuit doesn't matter.....well almost always. When I wear a wetsuit, the feel of the wetsuit makes it feel like I have a jacket on and there have been a time or two when I honestly forgot to put the jacket on. When I realize this, usually after I ease into the water but sometimes after the first fall if I dock start, I always put it on. USCG approved to boot.

I know this scenario would be unusual, but if you had a significant failure of the drysuit and had a lot of water enter, it could actually make drowning more likely with the cold water shock combined with the profound difficulty you would have trying to swim in a water filled suit.

shags004 08-28-2012 11:15 AM

Any recommendations for women's drysuits? I can only find ones for scuba diving, or are they the same?

migs 08-28-2012 12:31 PM

boost O neil size small

08-28-2012 12:35 PM

If you're experienced getting in and out of a drysuit you should be able to do it yourself with the back zipper. Everyone in our crew has a boost and can get in and out on their own. The only people we typically have to help are those that are borrowing one or don't use their own all that much.

I'd also think having that bulky zipper across the chest would restrict your movement more so then across the back.

ryanw209 08-28-2012 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shags004 (Post 1779017)
Any recommendations for women's drysuits? I can only find ones for scuba diving, or are they the same?

As said the Oneill boost in a smaller size. I'm not sure how tall you are but My GF just ordered a small and she is 5'2" and thought it was too big for her.

shags004 08-28-2012 1:50 PM

I'm about 5'7, 115lbs. I've got long legs and arms. Looks like XS would be better according to the size chart but geeeeez lol are these really $450? What's the best site to order from?

Bakes 08-28-2012 8:50 PM

Baggy drysuit is the way to go. I pretty much wear the same stuff on the lake as I do on the slopes.

Kokatat is my favorite drysuit. October is my favorite month for boating. Nobody on the lake and endless butter.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1242/5...c9e939b6_b.jpg

Nordicron 08-29-2012 5:05 AM

Drysuit all the way!!!! If it's not cold enough for the drysuit then it's neo shorts and heater top.
Oh and I have the oneill boost. Great suit but does leak around the neck because its not a rubber seal. Also wear the jacket under the suit, works really well!

TheWakeGuy 08-29-2012 10:52 AM

I found the O'Neill Boost for $389 and the Assault for $339 on Activewake.com. http://www.activewake.com/neo/drysuits.html
I bought my Boost 2 years ago and It's definitely helped me extend my season an extra 3-4 months.

Reez 08-29-2012 11:33 AM

Drysuits are sweet. The only issue is if your taking pics or shootin vids they look kind of dumb

501s 08-29-2012 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reez (Post 1779312)
Drysuits are sweet. The only issue is if your taking pics or shootin vids they look kind of dumb

I totally agree.

jeff4 08-29-2012 7:57 PM

I just posted an Oneil Boost size medium in the classifieds if anyone is interested. I'm 5'8 and 165 and it fits me perfectly. $250 shipped. I've worn all the way up to an XL in the boost and not had any issues.

migs 08-29-2012 8:11 PM

Dry suit = u dry
Wetsuit = u wet
Simple

madcityskier 08-30-2012 9:44 PM

As a big guy, wetsuit all the way. My 20" neck doesn't like the drysuit seal. Feel like I can't breath. Throw on a good wetsuit and go when there's ice on the edge of the lake no problem, and my throat wont be sore for the next week.

Your results may vary.

wksk8r 09-05-2012 8:25 AM

shags, if you're looking to get into a drysuit for less... There is one for sale here in ads. I have chicks on my boat all the time that wear mine, and it works. I'm a Large and even a 115 rider can be warm in it. I see a MED here for $200.... there's your suit! ;)

brazosfreak05 09-05-2012 9:45 AM

Cant pee in a drysuit!!!!!!

That is the number one thing i tell people who want to use my drysuit. I think we have an XL drysuit and everyone in the boat (big/small) all share the drysuit. Its the BEST investment for winter riding!

cj1 09-17-2012 3:18 PM

Definitely a wetsuit. Try peeing in a drysuit and tell me how that works out for you.

simplej 09-17-2012 3:31 PM

DFTR youre officially out of your mind

SteveAZ 09-17-2012 8:49 PM

I personally hate the way a wetsuit feels, they're tough to get on and off, and it sucks to put a cold, wet...wetsuit back on when it's cold out...so I never use them. I'm part of the heater shirt to drysuit crowd. If it's not too cold but cold enough for a suit, I wear a long sleeve t-shirt and thin sweat pants under it. If it's pretty cold I wear a Mysteriouso (fleece) top and bottoms under it. Wearing shorts or a short sleeve shirt with a drysuit I get chaffing on the backs of my knees and elbows where the suit bunches up...not comfortable. However, I also "burp" the suit really well when I get in the water so I don't have any air trapped in the suit. If you don't when you crash your more likely to get water past the seals as air is expelled from the suit on impact. This creaets an almost vacuum packed feel but flexability is good.

As for the vest....if you blow a seal and don't have a vest on.....not a predicament I'd want to find myself in.