WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Kicker ZXM Amps (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785770)

alindquist 02-02-2011 4:07 PM

Kicker ZXM Amps

I need to buy new amps this year... I keep coming back to the Kicker ZXM series. Specs look good so I thought I would just ask the question. Who is running them? any problems?

I'm specifically looking at the ZXM450.2 to run 4 Polk momo's 6x9's on the tower (ran in stereo at 2ohms), and the ZXM700.5 to run 6 6.5" Polk momo's (4 rear speakers run at 2 ohms, front 2 run at 4 ohms) and 1 12" Polk momo sub. What so you guys think.

I'm by know means an audiophile, i was running 3 MA Audio amps (flame away) for the last few years and I thought they sounded fine but 2 took a dump and I need something new. I can pick up both for around $600 and don't want to spend much more than that. I also like the idea of going down to 2 amps if possible. Is there anything else I should be looking at in that price range?

Thanks for the insight,
Aaron

moto817 02-02-2011 5:28 PM

I have 2 ZX850.4 running 8xMemphis 8" tower speakers and 1 ZX1500.1 running an L7 solo baric. I have never had a problem with these amps and personally think you cant beat the price. Granted I keep them dry, have external fans on them and they are oversized for the application. Let me know if u have any other questions. =-)

philwsailz 02-02-2011 5:54 PM

Aaron-

I'll keep my post prefessional... Since I am the Kicker guy... :) No replies to subjective questions from me... :D

What voice coil impedance is the woofer? dual or single? We want to try to show 2-ohms to the sub saection of the 700.5 to get max power out of it, that is why I ask. Hopefully it is a slngle-2 or dual-4...

Both amps need to be on #4 power wire, either with battery home runs, or with a 1/0 from the battery to distribution blocks for power and ground.

Let me know if I can be of further help!

Phil
Kicker

alindquist 02-02-2011 7:37 PM

Phil,
Sub is a dual 4 that's ran down to 2ohms... I have 1/0 run from the battery to the distro block then 4 run to the amps. I have 2 group 29 deep cycles that are the "house bank", plus a group 27 cranking battery set up on perko. I think the backbone wiring is good and don't really see the need to mess with it.

philwsailz 02-03-2011 6:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alindquist (Post 1658217)
Phil,
Sub is a dual 4 that's ran down to 2ohms... I have 1/0 run from the battery to the distro block then 4 run to the amps. I have 2 group 29 deep cycles that are the "house bank", plus a group 27 cranking battery set up on perko. I think the backbone wiring is good and don't really see the need to mess with it.

Aaron-

Sounds like a simple swap out then! The wiring is right on the money, and the woofer will load the digital sub section of the 700.5 down to properly deliver its rated or higher, (check the birth certificate) power.

Let us know!

Phil
Kicker

alindquist 02-03-2011 9:21 AM

I just really wanted to make sure that I was going to have enough power to make it sound good. Is there any issues with over heating on these? They're in a closed off compartment that is plenty big but doesn't get much air flow... I'm going to probably add a fan or a vent down the line.

philwsailz 02-03-2011 9:34 AM

Aaron-

The only chronic heat issue I have ever dealt with was one with an OEM boat builder who was using power wire that was too small. The voltage sag was severe, and the amp pulled a lot more current than normal as a result. That is the reason I wanted to clarify that you had proper power wiring.

Once he got on-board and went to 4 ga wire his overheating problems went away.

Phil
Kicker