WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   New Ignition for Sanger (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789742)

twelve02 08-22-2011 10:43 AM

New Ignition for Sanger

My ignition went out on my boat yesterday. The engine would start fine, I just couldn't turn it off. Anyone know where I can get a new ignition for a 2003 Sanger? Thanks.

polarbill 08-22-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twelve02 (Post 1703312)
My ignition went out on my boat yesterday. The engine would start fine, I just couldn't turn it off. Anyone know where I can get a new ignition for a 2003 Sanger? Thanks.

I would think it is just a standard ignition switch. It should have a nut holding it on. Just pull it out and take it to a parts store and see what they have that matches it. Pollak and Cole Hersee should both make something that works. Just make sure to take pic or make a drawing of the back so you know how to hook it back up.

twelve02 08-22-2011 11:59 AM

After doing a bit of reading, maybe I don't need a new ignition, seems the engine may be getting power from a different source creating a loop and not killing the power when I turn off the ignition. I need to see if that's the case.

twelve02 08-22-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1703330)
I would think it is just a standard ignition switch. It should have a nut holding it on. Just pull it out and take it to a parts store and see what they have that matches it. Pollak and Cole Hersee should both make something that works. Just make sure to take pic or make a drawing of the back so you know how to hook it back up.

Thanks Bill, yeah, it seems like a standard ignition, I took pics of the wiring. Now, I'm not sure it's just the switch, I need to check it out. I noticed one of my ballast pumps was acting flaky yesterday and not working. When I got home and took the ignition out of the loop, both pumps worked fine, so now I'm wondering if there's a wiring issue. Odd though, since this is the first time this has happened and the pumps have been in for weeks.

dave27 08-22-2011 12:22 PM

Just make note if you have a 4 pole switch or 5 pole. They are like 40-50 bucks. It doesn't hurt to have a spare ignition. I have had friends loose their keys. I was there with my spare ignition and just wired it in. So easy on a boat.

SangerTom 08-22-2011 1:04 PM

Tommy - our boats must be on the same path. Mine did that a couple of weeks ago. I think the loop was created by low batteries. I'm not an electrical guy but I didn't use the Perko switch correctly and drained the batteries and then it wouldn't shut down. Worked fine this weekend. How was your trip to Piru

twelve02 08-22-2011 6:44 PM

Hey Tom, I think I remember seeing your post on your low battery issue, though both my batteries are linked together so I don't think my issue is a low power issue. At this point, I don't know what it is, though I'm going to get a new ignition and see if that's it.

Piru was OK, we got there late and it was windy everywhere so it was choppy and crappy, still nice to be on the lake though. On my way home I saw 3 Sangers on the road. One was a 230, a DLX and I didn't really catch the other.