WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Everyone with tinted windshields; Remove glass or leave installed for best results??? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785664)

ryand121 01-26-2011 9:47 AM

Everyone with tinted windshields; Remove glass or leave installed for best results???

What's the best way to have my windshield tinted so there isn't any light gaps or anything? I'd like to get the cleanest install possible, so wouldn't removing it be the best? Also, I'd like to get it done soon, but here in CO there's a lot of snow on the ground right now, and I'd rather not tow the boat through it. Also, how fragile is the glass once its removed from the frame? Boat is an '08 X-Star. Thanks a lot for any info. -Ryan

factorykitted 01-26-2011 10:03 AM

do it the right way and remove the glass

moto817 01-26-2011 4:27 PM

I didnt have an option with mine because of the inset graphics but I would deffinately remove it. I put a blanket down in the bed of my truck and set the three pieces on that and had no problem with breakage. Be sure you take it to someone you trust though preferably someone you have seen do boat glass before. The angle and length of the 2 side front windows is quite a bit different than a normal car window. I went through 3 places (who all said they had done boats) before I found someone who could pull it off. Also while you have it off you have the option of powder coating your framing around the window, I did this with my last sanger and it looked sick with the limo tint ! Good luck and post pics :-)

h20king 01-26-2011 6:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A good tinter is hard to find I spent a lot of time on the phone trying to find one.The tinter I found was able to tint the windows while still on the boat by removing the rubber molding around the window then reinstalled the molding after the tint was applied. I could not be happier with the results.This method will only work on boats with adequate clearance between the window and the dash.

david_e_m 01-27-2011 5:41 AM

It really depends on the windshield and access. If the windshield has a pilar in the forward outside corners that splits the glass then doing it in the boat is made simpler. If its continuous glass with a compound curve (both vertical and horizontal) in the corners then it probably needs to be removed.
If you have right-angle access to the base all around so that a S.S. blade can trim the film without cutting into the rubber gasket then the glass can stay in place. Otherwise, with an elevated dash or glove box housing the glass should be removed.

David
Earmark Marine

burtonrider77 01-27-2011 9:56 PM

weve done a tone of these, if you take the windshield and frame off the boat your window tinter will love you. and save you a few bucks...

daveronix199 01-28-2011 7:53 AM

Take it out the windshield forsure!