WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   I can't believe I am asking a water spot question... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780521)

talltigeguy 06-12-2010 1:11 PM

I can't believe I am asking a water spot question...

1 Attachment(s)
I went to Lake Powell for a week. Wind blew most of the time, but still a great trip nonetheless. But after a week of having the wind blow water all over my boat any time it was moving, I have water spots from Hades. This would be a disaster if my boat were anything but white. I last waxed the boat last fall, and I suspect that is my fundamental problem. It seems clear that my coating of wax is not there anymore. So I have hard water spots that are next to impossible to get off.

I usually use Babe's boat bright after every trip to the lake and it works great for those 1/2 day trips that I usually make. We wiped her down after we pulled her out at Powell and basically the spots did nothing.

Today I tried 2 different kinds of wax - no help.
Babe's spot solver - no luck,
Babe's boat wash - no way,
Palmolive and water - nada,
Ducky cleaner - not working,

I have some 3M cleaner and wax that is rated for 'lightly oxidized surfaces' and has a mild rubbing compound in it, and that worked to some degree, and is pretty much the only thing that even worked in the slightest. I used it twice in the same area and that pretty well got rid of the spots.

I was thinking that I need a pure rubbing compound like 3M makes and then follow that up with a straight wax. Then I will surely wax the boat more often. I don't like it looking like this, even though it is really not bad from a distance.

Any suggestions?

Sorry to start another water spot thread, but this seems more cantankerous than most water spot problems.

Here is a cell phone pic that shows what I am dealing with to some degree.

ian_ashton 06-12-2010 2:04 PM

White vinegar

ajholt7 06-12-2010 2:33 PM

Boat Bling Hot Sauce

rlsv211 06-12-2010 3:08 PM

Babes spot cleaner.

ajholt7 06-12-2010 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlsv211 (Post 1596334)
Babes spot cleaner.

He said he already tried that.

mattjj23 06-12-2010 4:00 PM

Wax out the waterspots with a buffer and use Boat Bling Hot Sauce from then on, every time you pull it out of the water.

sanger 06-13-2010 11:30 AM

How long did you let the Ducky stay on your boat before washing it off? When I went to Powell boat looked the same as yours. When I got home, sprayed a heavy coat of Ducky and let it stay on for 24 hours. Then spots came off with soap and water.

scottnaz 06-13-2010 11:52 AM

I've never tried it, but what about a clay bar?

06-13-2010 12:29 PM

kaboom, works perfectly.

unclejessie 06-14-2010 7:21 AM

Driventoperfection.com. Their cleaner is money for water spot removal.

-Uj

1niceharley 06-14-2010 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian_ashton (Post 1596321)
White vinegar

Vinegar will take the spots right off, Just follow with a wax.

razzman 06-14-2010 5:47 PM

Vinegar will not remove hard water spots, i know as i've tried it on my black hulled boat and it does absolutely nothing. I tried all the above mentioned remedies as well except Ducky and the only thing that will completely remove them is buffing them off.

tgoin 06-15-2010 4:20 AM

Wow - after Powell I have always had great luck with either Ducky or Babes Spot remover.

I also used to have a decent luck with a 50/50 vinegar/water -- sometimes I would put some windex in there too - but that is going to strip
your wax. Make sure you have a good base coat before going somewhere like Powell, it will come off easier next time.

konaking 06-15-2010 5:44 AM

Hey Tall try a little CLR. You will have experiment with the dilution rate but it should work. I have used full strength before for really stubborn water spots. As long as you were willing to compound it through in a little work with the magic eraser, it will be easier on the finish than a heavy compound. You will certainly need to wax it after.

dirwoody 06-15-2010 7:22 AM

Kaboom - Spray, wipe, rinse - GONE - then wax of course

razzman 06-15-2010 8:19 AM

Which Kaboom ya talking about, thay have a few variations.

tre 06-15-2010 8:36 AM

Vinegar never works for me either. I think it is an old wives tale.

mhunter 06-15-2010 9:01 AM

I have used white 30% vinegar at the ramp after boating for years. Its cheap and works great on all the Midwest waters near Chicago. I have not fount it to remove wax but I do wax 4 times a year with Poor Boys paste wax. You may have to beef up the mixture if it doesn't work try Zing . Be careful its very strong wear gloves.

mendo247 06-15-2010 10:09 AM

Buffing it the only REAL remedey ive found. All other still leave a slight have of water spotting..