WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Florida Wakeboarding (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782297)

azpowerhouse 08-02-2010 7:37 PM

Florida Wakeboarding

I will be within a 3 hour radius of Orlando (traveling), I am looking for the following:
-Any input on wakeboard camps for a day or two only. I dont really need a place to stay, just lessons.
-Any input or tips on OWC, I have never ridden a cable before.
-Anyone going out riding in the next two weeks that have room for one or two more. ( I own a wakeboard boat so I know how things go, I am good for whatever)

I am thinking about bringing my gear, not sure yet though. I have done a few searches on these items and have a few ideas, even though a lot of the stuff was dated.

Thanks,
Jason

fly135 08-02-2010 7:44 PM

OWC is a blast, but do your camp first. You'll use different muscles on the cable and might be sore the next day.

azpowerhouse 08-03-2010 12:28 PM

Thanks for the tip John.

azpowerhouse 08-05-2010 7:18 AM

Any help on this stuff?

fly135 08-05-2010 8:22 AM

I pretty much only ride the cable at OWC. I can offer advice on that if you have any questions, but my boat riding has been pretty sparse for a number of years.

jsw 08-05-2010 10:08 AM

check into otown watersports, the boarding school, or ride the spot (darin shapiro's camp) for lessons. most can accommodate a day or 2 of lessons only. i have only been to ride the spot, but i have heard good things about all 3.

azpowerhouse 08-05-2010 6:06 PM

John any tips on the cable would be good. what r the differences of riding behind the boat and on the cable?

Steve thanks thats what i was looking for.

fly135 08-06-2010 7:22 AM

Since you can't jump the wake you have to do something else to make it exciting. You can rent everything you need, but definitely get a slider board and helmet if you rent. If you bring your own board you either want molded fins or no fins. Since you probably won't be trying any air tricks on your first time out, I'd recommend you concentrate on hitting the sliders.

Sliders are a lot of fun. When you hit them keep your weight centered on the board. The sliders don't have much friction and most people tend to lean back, thinking that they will go forward on their face. So they end on slipping and landing on their butt.

I was talking to a OWC patron visiting from out of state last weekend who told his son that he would give him $100 if he could land a flip. They had a non-wakeboard boat that they rode at home and it was his first time on the cable. I gave the kid some tips and he landed his first flip ever (boat included), a toeside frontroll off a ramp. His Dad said earlier his son commented that he liked the boat better, but that changed after his landed his invert.

jmuthafnp 08-06-2010 8:24 AM

Email Travis at The Boarding School. He can get you set up for the day over there and if you still have it in you, ride the Projects and then shoot over to OWC.

azpowerhouse 08-06-2010 10:44 AM

Sounds good guys. I think this will help out alot with the cable. I will also email Travis. Thanks guys!

hyperlite 08-09-2010 4:01 AM

Boarding school.....

sidekicknicholas 08-09-2010 8:50 AM

Boarding school for a camp

McCormicks for a cable (especially if you're left foot forward and want to learn air tricks)

hyperlite 08-10-2010 4:16 AM

nick hit it

azpowerhouse 08-12-2010 2:00 PM

Thanks Guys.

kyle_L 08-13-2010 1:12 PM

boarding school is closed until the 18th
owc has a boat lake for lessons with Cobe Mikacich on a loaded
down 230. you pretty much don't need to go anywhere else. I prefer mccormicks cable which also has a nautique, 220 I believe, but I don't know if that is out of your distance range. it is
45 minutes from OWC.