WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through August 06, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=487398)
-   -   I/O wake shaping: trim up? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484536)

naptownwake 08-03-2007 6:42 AM

was wondering if anyone out there could share a few pointers for cutting a better wake with an I/O boat (for us less fortunate riders). <BR> <BR>do you trim the drive up a tad after plane-out? <BR> <BR>do the same weighting guidelines for inboards apply to I/O's? <BR> <BR>thanks

migs 08-03-2007 7:35 AM

We have a i/o for our slew in foster city that no one will put their nice boat in. (real shallow and real salty water). But we trim up after plane basically until the front end starts bobbing up and down, then we trim down a tad to get it to stop then thats the setting. ONce you do it a few times youll figure out how many seconds to hold it up till its just right, instead of doing it back and forth.

hal2814 08-03-2007 7:40 AM

We trim at about 1/4 to 1/2 up but it's kind of hard to tell since we don't have a trim indicator. I have a hydrofoil stabilizer on the boat now so planing out can be done at optimum trim. Before that, we planed out at trim full down and then trimmed up until just before we started porpoising. We weight the front a lot more than the back for best wake shape. Most days, our only rear ballast is the crew.

whirli_7 08-03-2007 9:22 AM

I used to have a 20ft crestliner with a 4.3 i/o. We used to put one fat sac in the bow then trim the outdrive up to 3/4 or so. Made a real nice wake. Infact much nicer then my current mc.

naptownwake 08-03-2007 9:32 AM

hmm, anyone with an I/O ride WITHOUT trimming up? <BR> <BR>(Message edited by NaptownWake on August 03, 2007)

hal2814 08-03-2007 10:35 AM

I trim all the way down for new riders. It gives a washy wake that's not too big or intimidating. Other than that, NO.

epic1 08-03-2007 11:16 AM

have been riding the same 21 foot mod v wellcraft with a 302 for 11 years now. have never needed to trim. the wake is no comp wake, but, it is peaky and kinda steep. But it is allways firm. with three peeps or 8 it is strong. The only issue is it is touchy side to side. Got to have equal weight on both sides. Never noticed much improvment with trim, but now I will invistagate more.

ta_barracus 08-03-2007 11:45 AM

I had a 19' Maxum 3 years ago and I always trimmed up just a little bit. It made the wake much less washed out.

hixsonaz 08-03-2007 5:38 PM

we always trimmed up a little more than a 1/4 on the trim indicator. Bow weight makes it a lot easier to stay on plane and keep from porpoising. Too much weight in ours just made it too hard to stay on plane at beginner speeds.

deuce 08-03-2007 7:23 PM

Use to always trim up about 1/3 to clean up the wake on the Cobalt. Depending on weight ect....I would just pull up, get to speed and then start trimming until the wake would clean up....bingo. <BR> <BR>It actually put out a fairly nice, clean wake. <BR> <BR>My wife missed that boat.......

mikeski 08-03-2007 11:21 PM

Big fat sack as far forward as possible. Trim as high as you can without cavitation or porpoising.