WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   wakesurfing boat Choices (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787974)

Vic 06-03-2011 5:55 AM

wakesurfing boat Choices

07 23 lsv, 07 enzo, o4 mc x-30, o1 tige2300v surfmaster Want to surf on drivers side . i surf goofy. that is main objective and son wakeboards some also. Will also use as family boat. But MAINLY i want to surf big and not have any regrets about getting a different boat than the enzo and wishing i had one. Also concerned with the driver's side wake on all choices. I hear they are not as good. I listed the boats in descending price order. Value is also important. Thanks and God Bless you, any thoughts will be appreciated. I have a limited time frame. Bout to up and buy Something!!

h20king 06-03-2011 6:51 AM

If those were my choices it would be the Enzo it takes a couple extra pounds on the goofy side but the wave is world class and the boat is a solid all around performer

Wakesurfnc 06-03-2011 6:55 AM

You should definitely check out that X-30 we have a 09 that is really good on both sides

NuBu 06-03-2011 7:05 AM

I have an '07 23 LSV and surf goofy as well. Love the goofy side wake. Regular side is OK and takes considerably more weight. There is just something about that '07 hull.

h20king 06-03-2011 7:10 AM

Nu I get a little worried when you say that about the Malibu's.Currently installing a custom ballast system in a 08 BU 247 with custom sacks.The regular side sack is huge where as the goofy side is limited in size due to the cooler.How much weight is needed on the regular side??

dreamer 06-03-2011 7:29 AM

The Enzo would be a good choice but you will need the "right surf" drive to keep the prop wash down. There are guys who have swapped out their drives to accomplish this.

One of the questins you should ask yourself is: do you want hidden ballast or are sacs on the seat ok? I have an 07 23' Enzo (we surf the port side) and the only reason I chose this boat is so all of my ballast can he hidden and run from a flick of a switch.

NuBu 06-03-2011 7:42 AM

Well I can tell you that we don't ride as much weight as many of the riders on here. We ride stock ballast (1,250, i guess less than that because we don't fill whatever rear side we're not riding) and then we have a 600 in each locker and another 600 that we set on whatever side we're riding. I ride goofy and daughter rides regular. then we have riders setting onwhatever side we're surfing on. Full wedge and 10.8 mph and the goofy side is just awesome. We are by no means pros but we have had several riders surf it as well and get great comments. Same set up on the regular side just isn't as big and/or sharp. It's still a great wake but just not as good. We have to add weight to get it comparable to the goofy side maybe another 200-300 pounds so the difference in the sacks will probably make up for it.

h20king 06-03-2011 7:57 AM

Thanks the regular sack is on top of the factory ballast and runs almost the hole length of the seat base and the goofy side runs all the way to the cooler so we should be good.Cant wait to get a chance to surf this thing the BU 247 is just plain huge hope the wave is just as big LOL I will post pics of the system when it is finished

duffymahoney 06-03-2011 9:08 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Tige 24v! I should have mine finished this weekend and will post pictures of the goofy wave. My buddies 22v has an epic goofy wave. Also the avalanche has a great goofy wave. Here is a picture of my avalanche wave. Stay away from the enzo unless you want to do the right surf for it. Also the 05-07 typhoon c4 is a 23 foot avalanche. Should throw an amazing wave on both sides.

duffymahoney 06-03-2011 9:09 AM

I have better pictures, but videos always tell the real truth. Here are some:)

http://www.youtube.com/mickduffs#p/a/u/1/skfo2Jz6BLY

http://www.youtube.com/mickduffs#p/a/u/2/eeYUiQ3FvRw

sailing216 06-03-2011 9:13 AM

For a great goofy wave, the 09+ Avalanche has the right surf spinning prop standard. Can be had easily versus the rare Enzo righsurf and probably in your price range.

You should search old forums for Goofy Surf Pics.

Since you're buying used, all the boats already took the deprciation hit. If you have sacs, take em when you water test, but have it written down how to setup the boat. I had a heck of a time with a Bu that I was unfamiliar with, that could have been easy if I asked before going out.

duffymahoney 06-03-2011 9:59 AM

Here is a short list of boats that have been proven to have solid- great goofy waves. I'm sure I am missing a few, these all need extra weight and time spent dialing in the wave.

Sanger V215, V230, V237
Malibu 247 and 230
Centurion Avalanche c4
Centurion Typhoon C4
Enzo- with right surf conversion- without it is difficult to get a good goofy wave on. The mod should cost 2k or so to do to a regular enzo.
ski nautique 230
Tige 22v, 24v, 22ve, 24ve, Rz2
MB?

mastercrafts have proven tough to get a good clean goofy wave on. I know the boys over at shred stixx have tried lots of combos and the wave still has lots of wash. Good luck, most of my crew is goofy and they love the my old avalanche wave:)

duffymahoney 06-03-2011 9:59 AM

Where are you located?

johnboyy7 06-03-2011 10:57 AM

you left nautique 210s off that list. my 04 throws a pretty good wake.

duffymahoney 06-03-2011 11:18 AM

Here is an amazing deal. Pull the 750 sacs out and get custom and she would be ready to surf!

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28427

Fiveflat 06-03-2011 12:13 PM

Tige 21V

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-m...e_weighted.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-h.../WP_000771.jpg

tmill 06-03-2011 12:31 PM

i have always been partial to malibu wakes. with enough water they get huge! Only problem is i have not spent much time behind an Enzo to give a fair comparison

Vic 06-03-2011 1:35 PM

I'm in oklahoma. I really do appreciate all the responses. Still leaning toward the tige due too finances but it doesn't have a ballast system. Will have to add if i get it. Tige 2300 that is

duffymahoney 06-03-2011 1:35 PM

In my opinion the biggest wave I have seen in pictures is Stanely Wheelhouses malibu 247. This is the newer hull style I believe like 07 or 08 is when it came out. Anything before the newer hull was pretty flat on the bottom.

ragboy 06-03-2011 10:27 PM

We had an event where we demoed and video'd lots of boards, and 3 different boats. Enzo 230+, Supreme v226, Tige RZ2. Lots of info and video here.

http://wake9.com/polar-bear-2010/

Vic 06-04-2011 12:13 AM

ok how bout the tige 24ve. Found one with a 6liter 390hp v8 low hrs. for surfing drivers side and a little boarding. And is the taps system good or what? How much ballast will i have to add? and where? Sorry for all the questions. I'm pretty much an amateur. Would like to surf some great waves though. Thanks for the responses.

lakesurfer 06-04-2011 6:05 AM

Taps is like having a trim tab and does not do much for the wake. In general, you will need about 2,000lbs of ballast (water/people). Shoot Ragboy (great guy) at http://wake9.com/ and email. I believe he had a 2008 24ve before he went big time with his new RZ2. He has a big crew and I am sure he spent a lot of time on the dark side. He is the main proponent of the "equal opportunity wave".

Good Luck!

johnboyy7 06-04-2011 6:48 AM

i will start with im never ridin behind any of these boths. my observation is based purely on wake9's video of them.

man the RZ2 looks to have a real good wave on both sides. big
enzo goofy wave does not look very good. at times looks smaller than the other 2
supreme looks to have a good wave on both sides and long.

lakesurfer 06-04-2011 7:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboyy7 (Post 1683719)
i will start with im never ridin behind any of these boths. my observation is based purely on wake9's video of them.

man the RZ2 looks to have a real good wave on both sides. big
enzo goofy wave does not look very good. at times looks smaller than the other 2
supreme looks to have a good wave on both sides and long.

I think they Wake9 boat day was a great idea, but they really did not weight the Enzo on the dark side correctly (not their fault because you have to run more weight than my guess they wanted for liability purposes). But here is a vid of an Enzo 240 on the darkside weighted correctly. It needs the wake plate all the way down and about 750lbs more weight.

http://wake9.com/community/content.p...-Keenan-Flegel

ragboy 06-04-2011 11:12 AM

couple things...

On the 24Ve, I would say its a good wake on both sides, but not a great wake. I consider the RZ2 a great wake. The difference is the ease to weight the boat, and push. We have experimented with the 24Ve and can't get the same level of push on the Ve. Although, we have the Ve in WakeMakers in oregon right now, and they are adding more weight in the FAR back corners, and I will be curious how that will help. One of the reasons duffy is using the 24V over the Ve is that the 24V has MUCH larger lockers, that go all the way back, and maybe that is the difference, I don't know.

As far as weighting the boats at the polar bear...

We had some stipulations for safety, insurance, and just because. Weight had to be hidden, no sacs on seat. Everyone tried to stay under the "sticker" guideline, although there is no question there were several times that we had extra people in the boat, and at least the RZ2 went over sticker. I think that happened on each boat at least once or twice.

Each boat was weighted by its own "rep". I weighted the RZ2, Grant from CMS weighted the Supreme, and Brett from Centurion weighted the Enzo.

It is definitely true, there are videos of "non-right surf" boat throwing a good goofy wake, and as said, you need somewhere between 700-1000 lbs of extra weight on the goofy side to do that. I give that range, 750 may be enough, but I am fairly certain at NW Open, it was 1000 extra they used.

Anyway, lots of great boats to choose from. Also, you should pay attention to the Steepness of the wake. Most surf style riders love the RZ2 wake, or at least really like it. It is a more steep wake with a nice lip when weighted properly. Most tige's throw this type of more "surf style" wake. When we ride with skimmers, we have to put taps down to flatten the wake down to make more "shallow". That helps, but most skimmers prefer centurion or supreme wakes over tige.

All that said, get some rides behind boats. If you are ever in NorCal, get a hold of us, we will give you a ride. I always tell people, a cheap plain ticket to get a good ride before buying has got to be worth it.

ragboy 06-04-2011 11:22 AM

@jkw, "equal opportunity wave" I like that, I just caught that. ;-)

johnboyy7 06-04-2011 11:52 AM

wow. 1000lbs extra!!! for the goofy side. man that is a lot.

ragboy i may take you up on that offer. i really hope to make it to next years open.

ragboy 06-04-2011 12:03 PM

The open or polar bear are great, because there are several boats, and we to keep people out riding. This year we had several supremes and our RZ2. Next year, who knows!

johnboyy7 06-04-2011 3:04 PM

is the polar bear open to the "public"? i guess yall announce this on wake9 and assuming there is going to be one this year?

ragboy 06-05-2011 12:18 AM

Yes, we will announce when it gets closer.