WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wakesurf with Dolphins (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791750)

hockeysk8er222 02-06-2012 7:24 PM

Wakesurf with Dolphins

http://news.yahoo.com/video/odd-1574...-28212934.html

Anybody else see this? I just opened my computer and up on yahoo was this video

hockeysk8er222 02-06-2012 7:29 PM

Just saw this posted on the Wakesurf section too. My bad, but still cool!

westsidarider 02-06-2012 7:44 PM

Thats pretty sick. Couldnt imagine experiencing that

TheHebrewHammer 02-06-2012 8:46 PM

That is awesome! We used to get a lot of dolphins at my old ride spot and I always wanted them to race and jump alongside me like this, but they were pretty shy. I guess that makes them less likely to get hit by boats, which is a very good thing.

baitkiller 02-07-2012 5:26 AM

That is really neat. It makes sense because the dolphins love to cruise behind a boat that is just under the speed of rotation for the hull. The same speed for a good surf wake. I guess because the dolphin are found more in the deep, fast current, well traveled passes is why we don't see more of this. I am always looking for a quiet hidy hole and so, not many dolphin there.

I did run a boarder right over a manatee once a few years ago... LOL those things move pretty fast when they get Ollied!

wakedude83 02-07-2012 7:22 AM

This happens to us all the time off of Keewayden in Naples, FL. Sometimes there is one on each side of the rider.

baitkiller 02-07-2012 7:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakedude83 (Post 1730444)
This happens to us all the time off of Keewayden in Naples, FL. Sometimes there is one on each side of the rider.

Really? That's where I Ollied the manatee. I have seen black bears swimming across the channel and allot of other stuff but generally only see the dolphins in the pass. Are you guys riding in the general ski area channel or closer to the pass? Maybe they dont like my boat. that happens too.

brett33 02-07-2012 7:41 AM

Kid thinks he's good, then BAM.. surfing dolphin shows up to the party and steezes a few airs... Thunder stolen.

JoLo_Si 02-07-2012 7:42 AM

What an experience. I'm going to have to see if I can hook that up at the in-laws house in Crystal River, FL where these guys are everywhere. Only crappy thing, there would be a nuclear plant in the back drop of the shot.

wakedude83 02-07-2012 8:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1730445)
Really? That's where I Ollied the manatee. I have seen black bears swimming across the channel and allot of other stuff but generally only see the dolphins in the pass. Are you guys riding in the general ski area channel or closer to the pass? Maybe they dont like my boat. that happens too.

To be exact, it's usually near the old wooden docks.

baitkiller 02-07-2012 1:31 PM

No kidding. I will have to start paying more attention. i am in Marco and ride Keywadin weekdays and sunsets. secret spot on weekends. What boat are you in when here? I'll say hi.

wakedude83 02-08-2012 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1730540)
No kidding. I will have to start paying more attention. i am in Marco and ride Keywadin weekdays and sunsets. secret spot on weekends. What boat are you in when here? I'll say hi.

I'm usually in a red xstar when i'm down there. It's my buddy Brad's boat. I live in the Chicago area but I am in Naples in March, April, and November to ride. Can't wait to be back in a month.

nuckledragger 02-08-2012 6:35 AM

Never wakesurfed in the ocean but have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by our ocean friends while surfing. I had a 20 foot baby gray whale surface about 15 yards beyond where I was sitting in the lineup. She was cruising parallel to shore. When she surfaced she exhaled and it was the loudest sound I have heard whlie sitting in the water. You could see the barnacles on her back as surfaced and then disappeared back under water. Coolest experience ever.

k9fxr 02-12-2012 8:04 AM

Thats great, what a memory.
Not to jack this thread, but I never saw someone surfing at that speed, straight away, we've alway gone slow in an arc. Is this common?