WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How long is your average set (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782353)

gdavid 08-04-2010 6:24 AM

How long is your average set

I never ride with serious riders so there are a few things that I just don't know what is the standard or normal. How long is (as in time) is your average set? Total time including getting your board on and time spent in the water between falls and restarts.

I guess I'm curious for a number of reasons. I've heard people say they kick in x-number of dollars per set they ride, that they might get in a certain number of sets in an outing, or that my boat burns x-amount of gas per trip if 6 riders go out and ride 3 sets each. All of which would mean more to me if I knew how long a set is. Personally I find that my average set only lasts between 10 and 15 minutes before I'm feeling tired and getting sloppy but I'm not riding regularly and feel like my arms and legs are under-conditioned, I never really thought about it till the other day when I was paying close attention to my watch. Most of my friends that come out riding with me are about as experienced as me or less and generally only ride about 10 minutes.

cwb4me 08-04-2010 6:33 AM

i usually ride for about 30 minutes,but i usually only ride one set saturday and one sunday. long sets are hard on your body.

Luker 08-04-2010 6:55 AM

45min to 1.5hrs.... depends on whether I'm working on anything or not. A 15 minute set is a tease :(

behindtheboat 08-04-2010 7:10 AM

15min, then another 15 later on

bmartin 08-04-2010 7:16 AM

Depends on number of falls, number of riders, and conditions. Short set might be 15 minutes. Long set might be up to 45 minutes. I would rather ride 2 shorter sets than 1+ hour marathons like Luker.

mc_x15 08-04-2010 7:29 AM

We have a small crew or 3 devoted people. If its just the three of us we all get in about 3-4 15 min sets each. If there are new people we usally do 2 15 min sets then let the new people go. Its tough to determine what to give. If you ride for an hr which seems like alot per set then you better buck up liek 30-40 bucks if not more. if you take a couple 10-15 min sets then 20-25 is good in my opinion.

pierce_bronkite 08-04-2010 7:36 AM

Average riding time for me is about 20 minutes.

You guys that ride long 45minutes to an 1 hour set, do you all have any other people on the boat? I couldnt imagine riding an hour straight with 3 or 4 other riders waiting.

Luker 08-04-2010 7:39 AM

When you get in the zone working on something new, in my opinion, it's hard to leave and come back... sometimes stopping is the right thing to do if poor muscle memory is starting to set in... but for the most part if we get close on something new we keep working at it until its stuck :)

So at least 20 maybe 30 minutes to dial in the wake, stick all your stock tricks, and have a little fun (with a couple falls)... then 15+ to work on something new.

behindtheboat 08-04-2010 8:06 AM

that's still a long time to watch the same person. Props to your crew

wake77 08-04-2010 8:10 AM

If we got someone working on something new on the boat, then we give him some leeway, especially if he's getting close to sticking it. But if a guy says he is going to try something new, and we don't see an honest attempt, then it's time to get back in the boat.

wake77 08-04-2010 8:11 AM

A twenty minute set, with only a couple of falls, is an average set to me.

cwb4me 08-04-2010 8:26 AM

luker is a marathon rider. i shorten my sets if others are wanting to ride also. just thought it was what you like to ride for one set.

gdavid 08-04-2010 10:00 AM

Thanks for the feed back guys. I always take at least 2 sets, 3 when I have time. I often ride with about 6-7 people on the boat in the evenings so I always feel rushed getting in as much as possible before the sun goes down. Usually half of the boat is very new and only rides 1 or 2 times between 5 - 10 minutes, spending most of this time in the water.

Luker, I wish my bindings were as comfortable as yours.

08-04-2010 10:03 AM

30 mins to an Hour...

Luker 08-04-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavid (Post 1617556)
I always take at least 2 sets, 3 when I have time. I often ride with about 6-7 people on the boat in the evenings so I always feel rushed getting in as much as possible before the sun goes down.

6-7 people is the problem... sets on our lake are from about 5:30pm to 8:00pm so we never ride with more than 3 or 4 people. Its usually just myself, Alex Graydon, Jeff Mathis and possibly one guest shredder (who usually gets tired after 15 min haha)... each of us get around an hour. We push each other big time... so its always entertaining and never a big deal if one of our sets gets cut short because somebody was really working for something and stole some extra daylight.

Also, we ride almost every single day... so our bodies are conditioned to handle hour long sets with a bunch of falls.

hawkeye7708 08-04-2010 10:30 AM

We've got inundated with with extra riders lately, nothing wrong with it, but it does affect the set time behind the boat. I'm usually 20 minutes with 2 sets a time out.

chaser 08-04-2010 10:41 AM

Two 20 minute sets. Maybe one if it is an evening run and we have many riders.

cwb4me 08-04-2010 10:59 AM

my knees can't take every day sets us old guys need healing time.LOL

gene3x 08-04-2010 11:08 AM

I take long sets and from start to finish I would say a total of about 45 minutes including putting the board on and falls. I am always working on something but I now limit myself to 3 close falls on a new trick.

thor 08-04-2010 11:45 AM

When I ride I normally take two 20 minutes sets per day. My kids have started riding a lot more lately so I would rather give them more water time.

tre 08-04-2010 4:35 PM

we usually do about a 15 min set. I don't know how anybody can do a 1 hour set. If I really push myself I am really breathing hard and worn out after a 15 min set. I think any more an you are pretty rude to other riders in the boat. I also find if I push it too long, I will start falling and get myself hurt.

ironj32 08-04-2010 4:51 PM

depends on how many people and who's boat were on. if it's my boat with 2 or 3 people, i'll ride for 30-45 at a time.

eternalshadow 08-04-2010 5:02 PM

In the 15-30 minute range depending on the day, with falls, and gear up.

Preston 08-04-2010 8:43 PM

It deffinately depends on the number of people on the boat. If its just me and one other rider then 45 minute sets are common. If there is 5 or 6+ riders then the sets are usually around 20 minutes just so you're not waiting forever for a turn.

cadunkle 08-05-2010 5:39 AM

Generally I have 3-4 riders on the boat and we do about 20 minutes. Makes for a fast rotation. Plus side is you're not beating yourself up too much in one shot.

Sometimes when I have to beg to get anyone to drive and spot I end up with people who don't ride. In those cases I'll end up doing 45-60 minute sets take a brief break, then go again, rinse, repeat. Yeah it's nice to have no time limit and not feel guilty if you take a longer set, but you also don't know when to stop until you're getting real sloppy and start taking falls over simple stuff.

kyle_L 08-05-2010 6:27 AM

We start giving the stink eye when someone goes beyond 20 minutes. Unless they are working on a new trick and we have to keep stopping and starting, that obviously is going to kill some time, but just to ride for more than 20 minutes is too expensive of a friend.

Luker 08-05-2010 6:33 AM

Do any of you guys every ride on the cable? If you can only handle 15-20 minutes behind the boat I imagine a day pass at the cable would be a huge waste of money for ya right?

We literally spend 5-6 hours on our boards in one day at the park.... I've seen Mathis take like a 1hr and 45min set with no falls at McCormicks bustin legit tricks on every obstacle hahaha

brainrinse 08-05-2010 7:58 AM

1 hr and 45 minutes. That's so over the top ridiculous I'm not even sure what to say!

cccbuilders 08-05-2010 8:16 AM

2 hr sets........................

burban89 08-05-2010 8:34 AM

There are normally 4-5 of us on the boat and the sets range from 20-30 minutes each. We could ride longer sets but do not like getting wore out on the first set. In the evenings that gives us all 2 good sets.

Weekends are a difference story. We ride as long as we want, we can normally ride all day with decent water most of the time.

We ride Fri - Sun and at lease twice during the week.

wswb4lfe 08-05-2010 8:36 AM

Mike thats where i'm at haha bartlett all day

seattle 08-05-2010 8:41 AM

My boat, 40 minute sets. I only allow three people on the boat when I ride so I can monopolize water time.:D

08-05-2010 8:48 AM

ALWake...you sound like a cocky person.

Luker 08-05-2010 8:50 AM

^ super beneficial comment boss ;) Thanks for the input!

FYI- I'm not running from this thread or anything... we are literally walking out the door right now for a 4 day trip to WakeNation and then I'm on a plane to Costa Rica to surf for a week so I won't be back in front of a computer for like 2 weeks :) so if R M from Alabama who I don't think I know ;) LOL talks some more **** I'm sorry for not responding!

Didn't mean to come off like a dick everybody hahahah!!!!!... I guess my crew just rides forever and I was surprised to hear that most sets are only 15-20 minutes. Have fun and go shred as long as you want LOL

lfadam 08-05-2010 8:55 AM

20-40 minutes. Id say 25-30 is most common for me

bennn 08-05-2010 9:44 AM

about 30 min

cwb4me 08-05-2010 9:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luker (Post 1618059)

FYI- I'm not running from this thread or anything... we are literally walking out the door right now for a 4 day trip to WakeNation and then I'm on a plane to Costa Rica to surf for a week so I won't be back in front of a computer for like 2 weeks :) so if R M from Alabama who I don't think I know ;) LOL talks some more **** I'm sorry for not responding!

Didn't mean to come off like a dick everybody hahahah!!!!!... I guess my crew just rides forever and I was surprised to hear that most sets are only 15-20 minutes. Have fun and go shred as long as you want LOL

luker don't worry i got your back. i think people who don't wakeboard regularly haven't built the muscle stamina to wakeboard as long as luker. i.ve been to mccormicks and OWC, also texas ski ranch. my first trip 1-2 hours was plenty now i can go for the 2-4 range. i.m an old guy these young guys are there all day and throwing tricks all day.some might think cable is easier than behind the boat.it is if you just ride. but if you start hitting the jumps and the rails,it's exhausting. my last trip to OWC i hit all the rails and kickers i could,took my share of falls,swam back to the docks too many times. after 2 hours of riding ,falling and of course some breathers. i was experiencing muscle lock up in my legs[they were sore for a week]. i know each of you could do as much or more if you worked up to it. so give the man his props he worked for it. oh and it's not cocky if you can back it up. it's CONFIDENCE!LOL:D

sexyws6mama 08-05-2010 11:16 AM

1 hour ;) and you still got to pull me out of the water!

stang_killa_ss 08-05-2010 11:20 AM

me and audrey usually ride 1 hour to 1.5 hour then switch. audreys record is 3 hours.

cwb4me 08-05-2010 11:22 AM

corey we are talking about wakeboarding.LOL:D:D:D:D:D

Cajun_Misfit 08-05-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luker (Post 1618059)

No worries bro!!!

I'm fellow Alabamian who just recently moved to Houston TX, hold down lake martin and mitchelle for me... Pretty sure I'll be back on mitchelle Labor day...

and for the thread I usually ride 10 min sets and as many as i feel my body can handle throughout the day---- ah thank you

cwb4me 08-12-2010 6:38 PM

SO NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO POST. or are we waiting for luker to get back.it's just a post to get an idea of what your average set is.

twise 08-18-2010 12:04 PM

15 to 20 minutes - They will get longer as my skill level increases. Wakeboarding has chased my ass back to the gym. I will be 40 in September.

texastbird 08-18-2010 4:41 PM

My crew and I usually have about 30 min sets

WakeBait 08-18-2010 4:55 PM

I usually go out and dont get back in the boat until we leave lol... Nah I usually get back in the boat when my face starts hurting from smacking water :)

baitkiller 08-19-2010 6:47 AM

2 or 3 20 minute sets for me, 1 marathon set for my 9YO son. That kid could ride all dang day if I don't drop him. During the week we go out for sunset butter runs and put down a single 30 minute set each. Loading the boat at 6:00 tonight.