WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through March 18, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=680898)
-   -   Dull Gel Coat (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674262)

wakemania 02-28-2009 5:30 PM

My boat is mostly black above the water line (some white). The top side has started to dull a little, not really what I would call oxidized or chalky white though. The black on the side still has a fairly good shine. I want to get the top side looking good again and thought I would go with the 3M Finesse-It II followed by a good wax and or sealer. Should I use the Finesse-It just on the dull part or would it be OK to use on the whole boat before waxing/polishing? I'm not sure how abrasive this is. Any suggestions or other product recommendations. I know I don't need a HD rubbing compound or probably not even a cleaner wax as these would probably be more abrasive than I need. Thanks.

mobv 02-28-2009 7:20 PM

Finesse-It is great on the entire boat for restoring shine.

wakemania 02-28-2009 8:40 PM

Thanks George. How do you apply the Finesse-It? Polisher, Orbital or by hand?

bulletlines 02-28-2009 8:41 PM

I would start with a medium rubbing compound, and then finish up with Nu Finish (orange bottle).. I use Nu Finish because it is a wax, uv protectant, and sealer in one: Its also super easy to wipe on and off.. <BR> <BR>If the compound does not work then I would wet sand with 1000 grit, medium compound, and then use Nu Finish. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Ken Land <BR>Bullet Lines <BR><a href="http://www.bulletlines.com" target="_blank">www.bulletlines.com</a>

hype29 02-28-2009 9:09 PM

on my black I use metal polish to get the scratches out then sand with 3000 grit and then Nu Finish= looks perfect

mobv 03-01-2009 4:51 AM

Everytime I have used rubbing compound I had to go back to Finesse-It to get the "shine" back. <BR> <BR>I use a Sears 6" 2-speed buffer with 3M foam pads. Then remove and clean with a cotton cloth. <BR> <BR>After you use Finesse-It you will need to use a polish/wax. I use Meguires Marine Carnuba (sp?).

wakemania 03-01-2009 10:21 AM

George, I was looking at that buffer yesterday at Sears. I'm trying to decide between that one and the Harbor Freight one. <BR> <BR>By the way, how do you clean your foam pads after using?

mobv 03-01-2009 10:58 AM

Buy a buffer that is veriable speed and uses velcro to attache the pads. I would not buy the Sears again. Porter Cable has a great unit. <BR> <BR>I just wash the pads in water and sometimes uses some detergent. 3M makes a cleaning solution that I have never tried.

riverside 03-01-2009 11:01 AM

By the way, how do you clean your foam pads after using? <BR> <BR>I just rinse them with hot water and soap. <BR>P.s how long does the oxidized gelcoat stays glossy after a finesse-it and NU Finish treatment?

bulletlines 03-01-2009 12:04 PM

Oxidized gelcoat will only stay glossy for a month after standard polishing and wax job.. You normally have to sand the oxidation off to get rid of it. <BR> <BR>If you for sure want to get rid of it the first time, just wet sand 600 then 1000, lite to medium compound it or Finesse - It, and then finish off with Nu Finish: Your done and it is not coming back unless you don't wax it. <BR> <BR>Ken Land <BR>Bullet Lines <BR><a href="http://www.bulletlines.com" target="_blank">www.bulletlines.com</a>

murphy_smith 03-01-2009 2:40 PM

Why are you using foam on gelcoat to compound. IMO and experience wool is the way to go with compound.

03-01-2009 2:50 PM

am I the only one on here that uses Starbright Marine polish with PTEF?

wakegirl22 03-01-2009 3:03 PM

Do Not Wet Sand......it is not necessary. I am a boat detailer and to get the gel glossy again you need to use an oxidation remover and you can do this on the whole boat, then use a polish to make it shine then apply your wax. We use Mequires #49 oxidation remover and Meguires #45 polish. Apply these with a buffer and a wool pad. Use one side for the oxidation remover and one side for the polish, you will also need to Spur your pad every few feet you move along the boat.

jmanolinsky 03-01-2009 3:08 PM

I agree 100% with Jaime. Wet sanding should only be done as a last resort.

kko13 03-01-2009 3:17 PM

well i did as jamie suggested last time and it did look good for a few months it faded right back. So i do think in some cases wetsanding is the only answer. i have to do my transom the rest of the boat is good just a little polish.

dudeman 03-01-2009 3:21 PM

Ken's right. Wet sand it then buff it out. It will look like new.

deltadave 03-01-2009 7:53 PM

Wakemania: from your description, it sounds like some light oxidation or hazing. Try Finesse-It II and then polish. I use a rotary polisher and wool pads. FI II could be used on the whole boat, but you may not need it. If the Finesse doesn't do what you want on the deck, I would step down to 3M Imperial Compound &amp; Finishing material first, then FI II and then polish. I wouldn't wet sand with 600 grit unless you know what you're doing or you have someone that does show you.

wakemania 03-01-2009 8:17 PM

Dave you're probably right. I actually used some 2000 grit sandpaper to wet sand. It left some pretty good swirl marks, so I followed up with 3M Restorer &amp; wax and then some Meguires cleaner (these were products I already had laying around). Most of the swirl marks are gone, but it just doesn't have the shine I want. This was all done by hand because it is such a small strip (3 or 4" wide). The wet sanding took off a lot of white substance I figured was some old wax, but the white oxidation appearance is gone. I thought I would get a circular polisher and try the Finesse-It II to see if I can get that shine back and follow that with a polish. <BR> <BR>Luke, I was actually gonna try the Starbright after the Finesse-It. I have heard good things about it. The Nu Finish looks good to, I just couldn't find on the bottle where it had UV protection.

03-02-2009 3:44 PM

Starbright is amazing... Nothing sticks to it.. you know that foam/film that can stick to your transom when pulling out of the water? Simply washes off with a hose and water, never put your hand to it or rub...

deltadave 03-02-2009 6:56 PM

Swirl marks from sanding? I would get a rotary polisher and use the FI II. That may take out the sand marks too.