WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Help me pick a Triple X board (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792058)

nitrousbird 03-01-2012 5:05 PM

Help me pick a Triple X board

Wife wants a birthday wish list ASAP, and I want to try wake surfing this year. Will be surfing behind our 01 Malibu Sunsetter VLX, wedge + 750lb bags in each rear locker and 300lbs up front (and likely adding another 300 in the ski locker).

I've done a bit of research and I think the Triple X brand fits what I want in terms of price, quality, and being good boards to ride.

I've never surfed before, have no boards to test locally, so I just want to pick one and try it.

Price wise, I'm intersted in:
Nitro
Slasher
Composite Pro X

Slasher and Composite are higher on the list simply for price. I know the Slayer is great too, but more than I want to spend for a 1st board. I'm 6'3", 225 lbs so I want a board that fits me, though smaller riders may take a turn on it as well. So I'm looking on what everyone would recommend for model and length.

tmill 03-01-2012 9:56 PM

i would recomend going with their Nitro. for your size start with the 5-0. i will be a great all around boat board for everyone on the boat. You could go with the bigger 5'4" for the most stable and easy to ride board but you might out grow it pretty quick. If you have any questions feel free to get ahold of me on a PM. I can tell you all about the triple X boards. Might even be able to hint at some new things coming up..;)

I am not a huge fan of skim style in general so that is why i say no composite pro and the slasher is a little fragile for someone with a pure wakeboard background, No offence, you just have to treat the fiberglass board a little different and it can take some getting used to better to get a more durrable board for you first surf experience.

tuneman 03-02-2012 10:12 AM

I second the 5' Nitro. The Slasher is too fragile. If you want the skim style Composite Pro, get the 58" for your weight and boat. The Nitro will be the easiest to learn on and is able to take you all the way to advanced tricks. Start with only the outer fins and add the third as you progress.

timmyb 03-03-2012 6:36 PM

Bakes has a 5'6" Slasher on ebay for $255: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-X-Sla...#ht_500wt_1127

I know you guys say it's fragile but that seems like a pretty cheap gamble, cheaper than the wakeboard company popouts.

tmill 03-04-2012 10:32 AM

for that price i would jump on it. Besides i always like shoping at bakes. great group of guys down there. I would just recomend getting a board sock to at least pad the board a little bit and dont plan on storing it in a rack. One long rund down the lake at speed in rough water will leave the board all dented up.

silverlude 03-06-2012 9:23 AM

I have been looking into these boards as well. I have had "fibergalss" boards(Ronix Koal) but I own some IS boards as well. The TripleX are made with epoxy injection molding as well so why would they be any more fragile than the IS boards? The Koal I had was "fragile" but are the TripleX comparable or are they more like the IS boards? I am looking for a surf/skim board this year and hoping to pick correctly as we don't have any shops to check them out in.

tmill 03-06-2012 10:32 AM

triple x boards

the slasher is a fiberglass board similiar to a ronix coal. that one is the fragile board. The rest of the tripleX boards are epoxy injected and are similiar to the inland surfer boards in durrability.

Also i talked with tim last week, pretty soon here they will be offering something new!!! actualy a couple of new things.

tuneman 03-06-2012 10:44 AM

They're all fiberglass boards. It's the resin that makes the difference. The Slasher uses a polyester resin, like the stuff boat hulls are made of. The rest of the Triple X line, and Inland Surfer boards, use epoxy resin, which is a crosslink two-part cure. Much stronger stuff, but harder to work with when laminating.

You referring to the full carbon wrap boards that Triple X is bringing out? There's a blem model on Ebay.

tmill 03-06-2012 11:36 AM

That is one of them but in talking with tim it looks like he has partnered with a local shaper down there to do customs. Been talking with the shaper the last few days and should have some more info and hopefully some build pics here in the coming weeks.

kronoss 04-28-2012 6:53 AM

I got the Slayer X, really love it, i live right next to them if you want me to go talk to them and see if they have any ones with defects for a good deal.